Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Claire93

Have I brought this all on myself?

I started getting piples when I was about 12(I'm 17 now). Just afew little ones every now and then. I got some spot treat,ent from the supermarket and left it at that. In high school my acne got progressively worse and I started to look into treatments more. Back then I thought my skin was terrible but now I would KILL to have my skin in that condition again. I was prone to the really big(cyst?) pimples, but only ever one every now and then. I got onto BP ans started using it regularly. I don't know how it happened by now my skin is terrible and I'm worried that it will never be the same again. :(

I went to a derm for the first time at the beginning of the year and have been a few times since. The last time I went he put me on duac(night) epiduo(morning) and minocycline. He said that if there is no improvment next time we will seriously discuss Roaccutane(which I find incredibly scary).

I see all of these normal and stunning people at school who don't even think about their skin and it really kills me. My best friend doesn't even use soap to wash her face, just nothing. I am always obsessing over my skin and I just wish I could have moderately clear skin (I'm over longing for perfect skin.)

Did I bring all of this on myself by using BP and every OTC product I could find? Should I have just left it and everything would have been fine? If I wasn't so picky and such a perfectionist would I have the skin that I so desperately want?

I feel like I'm in this cycle. I break out big time at my time of the month, I spend the next few wekks healing and nursing some new pimples and then just as my skin starts to look ok, its that time of the month again.

I have been reading up on accutane over the last couple of days and am still very undecided. Does anyone have any experiences they can share? How bad and how common are the side effects? Could it make my acne worse?

I hate the fact that I wake up in the morning and smother my face in chemicals. It makes me feel so unhealthy. Like i'm damaging my skin just so that I can look half decent.

Please help. I don't know what to do.

I started getting piples when I was about 12(I'm 17 now). Just afew little ones every now and then. I got some spot treat,ent from the supermarket and left it at that. In high school my acne got progressively worse and I started to look into treatments more. Back then I thought my skin was terrible but now I would KILL to have my skin in that condition again. I was prone to the really big(cyst?) pimples, but only ever one every now and then. I got onto BP ans started using it regularly. I don't know how it happened by now my skin is terrible and I'm worried that it will never be the same again. :(

I went to a derm for the first time at the beginning of the year and have been a few times since. The last time I went he put me on duac(night) epiduo(morning) and minocycline. He said that if there is no improvment next time we will seriously discuss Roaccutane(which I find incredibly scary).

I see all of these normal and stunning people at school who don't even think about their skin and it really kills me. My best friend doesn't even use soap to wash her face, just nothing. I am always obsessing over my skin and I just wish I could have moderately clear skin (I'm over longing for perfect skin.)

Did I bring all of this on myself by using BP and every OTC product I could find? Should I have just left it and everything would have been fine? If I wasn't so picky and such a perfectionist would I have the skin that I so desperately want?

I feel like I'm in this cycle. I break out big time at my time of the month, I spend the next few wekks healing and nursing some new pimples and then just as my skin starts to look ok, its that time of the month again.

I have been reading up on accutane over the last couple of days and am still very undecided. Does anyone have any experiences they can share? How bad and how common are the side effects? Could it make my acne worse?

I hate the fact that I wake up in the morning and smother my face in chemicals. It makes me feel so unhealthy. Like i'm damaging my skin just so that I can look half decent.

Please help. I don't know what to do.

Hi claire, I can relate, I'm 17 and about to start Roaccutane in about a week as a last resort, im fairly nervous but am now desperate enough to do anything for clear skin.

I also understand about plastering my face in chemicals, I wake up to find that the benzol peroxide I had put on my face has taken the colour out of my pillow.. like bleach?! gah. Dont blame yourself, acne is not our own fault just our dumb bodies and genes. Sorry I didn't answer any of you questions, but i thought you'd like to know what someone similar is doing :)

no you didnt bring it upon yourself. Those first pimples before you started using all the otc or whatever got you. However, you may be making it worse with some of your cleansing methods. You mentioned your best friend uses nothing to wash her face and typically i do the same I get a few pimples every now and then but I attribute my mostly good skin to not touching my face and sleeping on my back. But im a guy so i can get away with not wearing makeup and if i did i would prolly have to wash my face more often. If you wanna try not washing your face, --->( hxxp://www.acne.org/messageboard/WASHING-FACE-MONTH-t194108.html )

if not i recommend dan's regimen i havent used it but he's the owner of this site and some people seem to think works ---> hxxp://www.acne.org/regimen.html

Are you using the regimen? And following it closely? Check out the biggest mistakes page:

http://www.acne.org/regimen-biggest-mistakes.html

You are not unhealthy. Treating your skin with chemicals is not a bad thing. Acne definitely causes more harm than any chemical you might put on your face to try and clear it up. I can assure you BP is safe and won't damage your skin.

For some people, Accutane is the only answer to their problem with acne. Though I wouldn't recommend it, if I was in your shoes I would probably go on it also.

Only do it as last resort, If your not on Dan's regimen, I would suggest you try it. If you are on it, I would suggest you check out the biggest mistakes page. If your derm. told you to do certain stuff, I would do that stuff.

I am not following Dan's regimen, however the two creams I use(epiduo and duac) both cotain 2.5%BP so I'm not far from it.

BTW, how do you train yourself to sleep on your back?

I use both duac and epiduo bacuse that is wahat the doctor percribed me last week. I use duac in the night and epiduo every second morning(I found that it was too harsh). Do you think that this is too much?

I use both duac and epiduo bacuse that is wahat the doctor percribed me last week. I use duac in the night and epiduo every second morning(I found that it was too harsh). Do you think that this is too much?

It seems like a pretty strong regimen that might increase your side effects. Both Duac and Epiduo have BP (that alone isn't a problem though as the regimen on this site encourages use of BP twice a day). Epiduo also has a topical retinoid. Perhaps your doctor had reason to prescribe such a strong combo at once when she looked at your skin in person; those medications help in different ways. The clindamycin/BP combo targets bacteria while the BP also keeps the bacteria from becoming resistant to the clindamycin. (that's one really neat facet of topical BP treatment!) The Epiduo has of course the retinoid and the BP, so the retinoid helps with exfoliation and texture. Seems a rather strong combo. If you're unsure, please ask your derm.

It seems like a pretty strong regimen that might increase your side effects. Both Duac and Epiduo have BP (that alone isn't a problem though as the regimen on this site encourages use of BP twice a day). Epiduo also has a topical retinoid. Perhaps your doctor had reason to prescribe such a strong combo at once when she looked at your skin in person; those medications help in different ways. The clindamycin/BP combo targets bacteria while the BP also keeps the bacteria from becoming resistant to the clindamycin. (that's one really neat facet of topical BP treatment!) The Epiduo has of course the retinoid and the BP, so the retinoid helps with exfoliation and texture. Seems a rather strong combo. If you're unsure, please ask your derm.

I don't go to the derm again for another 2 weeks. Do you suggest just sticking with what he perscibed until then? I was using just the duac at night, and then he percibed the epiduo on top of that. When I first used the epiduo it, not burned exactly, but felt uncomfotable and stung? alittle, especially when I out other things(moistureiser and make up) on. So i decided to just use a little every second morning. I've never used a retanoid before(at least i dont think I have). What do they do and what can I expect from it? Is this buring sensation normal?

I don't go to the derm again for another 2 weeks. Do you suggest just sticking with what he perscibed until then? I was using just the duac at night, and then he percibed the epiduo on top of that. When I first used the epiduo it, not burned exactly, but felt uncomfotable and stung? alittle, especially when I out other things(moistureiser and make up) on. So i decided to just use a little every second morning. I've never used a retanoid before(at least i dont think I have). What do they do and what can I expect from it? Is this buring sensation normal?

Users of Epiduo do sometimes report a burning sensation when they first start use. It's a great idea to slowly start the use of the Epiduo; some derms recommend using it only every three days at first while getting acclimated to its effects, just like other retinoid products. Then increase slowly until you're using it daily.

Applying a tiny tiny layer of petroleum jelly will help your skin feel better; petroleum jelly is non-comedogenic and very soothing. It's also neutral and doesn't tend to react with medications so it would be safe to use about half an hour after applying the Epiduo. It will help soothe your skin. :)

Please read the following post on how topical retinoids work and why patience and perseverance is required when using topical retinoids: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Info-reti...ial-t98395.html Make sure you're using a gentle cleanser (one that's not medicated, most definitely) and that you wait at least half an hour after cleansing before applying your medication (whichever one you're using at the time).

If the irritation is excessive, I'd call the derm and ask for her suggestions and consider halting use of one or the other product.

There is supposed to be a little bit of burning when you first start retinoids. However, if it becomes really uncomfortable, I would suggest using something else. For me, I used epiduo for about month and then I stopped use because it felt like my face had caught on fire everytime I used it. I thought differin and epiduo are the same thing but they are apparently different since Differin doesnt make my face feel like its caught on fire at all.

There is supposed to be a little bit of burning when you first start retinoids. However, if it becomes really uncomfortable, I would suggest using something else. For me, I used epiduo for about month and then I stopped use because it felt like my face had caught on fire everytime I used it. I thought differin and epiduo are the same thing but they are apparently different since Differin doesnt make my face feel like its caught on fire at all.

Does anyone know whether the epiduo is likely to cause an initial breakout. If so, when should I expect it and how bad?

The link I posted above has information about the initial breakout with retinoids, why it happens, and gives one some idea of how long it lasts. It is also at the top of the Retinoids forum in the pinned posts section.

Girl, I know what you mean about breaking out at your time of the month, nursing the pimples...having 2 days of clear skin and then BAM, the pimples start again. It's a frustrating cycle at any age. I'm 27 and it bothers me to no end. It's not your fault. Some of us are just stuck with it.