Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone ever tried doing facials every six weeks to see how that affect their skin? I went to a salon the other day and had my first facial, which made my skin look pretty nice, but the woman told me I should be coming in every six weeks if I wanted to have good skin. Of course, I don't know if she is the most objective person, but I was wondering has anyone tried doing facials routinely? I just can't see how doing something once every month and a half can make that much of a difference.

(P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong section, I've never done this before and I wasn't sure where to post)

Facials can be an important part of a skin care regimen. Make sure you're also doing an at-home regimen that will help prevent clogged pores so you can maintain the results of the facial in between visits. Facials that also include extractions can be very helpful but make sure the esthetician is experienced with acne prone skin and knows what kind of ingredients are ok for persons who are prone to acne.

One of our moderators (willow569) goes to a Facial clinic regularly and uses their at-home regimen to maintain her clarity.

In my opinion, I think facials are unnecessary. I used to get facials about once a month and even though my skin looked a little better and the extractions helped a bit, my skin still wasn't clear.

For about a year and a half now, I've been watching what I eat and have been using Dan's products, and now my skin is almost 100% clear! I think if I started getting facials again, it will just irritate my face. Plus, facials can be pretty expensive.

Maybe just purchase a good-quality mask and give yourself a facial at home??

Depending on the skill of the esthetician, facials can help ALOT. I still get them regularly and they are great for getting rid of comedones before they turn into pimples. My skin stays pretty clear with the at home regimen I use, but the facials really help by getting rid of developing spots or lesions that are more stubborn (e.g., blackheads or closed comedones). As Wynne said though, you do need to make sure you go to an esthetician who has experience treating acne prone skin. Not all of them understand how to work with acne.

I think that trying to do them yourself (peels, extractions, etc.) can be risky. Some people really do know what they are doing, but most people do not. You can end up damaging or scarring your skin.