Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
V1ViD

Retinoids for oil production?

Since accutane is vitamin A and topical retinoids are Vitamin A also can't they be use to slow down the production of oil? Kinda like a topical accutane? My acne is moderate along with the fact that my face produces enough oil to provide a family a years worth of oil :wall: I've been on a good amount of antibiotics which didn't do much for me but not alot of topicals treatments. Since the chances of me getting accutane are low. What can retinoids do for me?

Edit: Also, after doing alot of searching and research. I'm thinking of using Retin-A and aczone while taking Bactrim DS orally. Would this be a good combination?

Also whats the difference between Retin-A and retin-A micro? And is RAM better than tarzorac or do they basically do the same thing? I'm just bubbling with questions with each new thing I find out about retinoids xD

Moved at original poster's request to Prescription Acne Medications forum. :)

I do not think topical retinoids change anything about oil production; it's certainly not in the literature about the medication and it would be touted as one side effect. Dryness, redness, flaking from irritation are all side effects, definitely, but not slowed or decreased oil production.

Retin A and Retin A Micro are different in that Micro has a patented delivery system which supposedly makes it more gentle, less irritating to the skin.

Tazorac is just another type of topical retinoid; some find it works better than Retin A or Retin A micro, some find vice versa.

There's lots of good information on retinoids if you search the boards; you might find more answers to questions you didn't even know you had! :)

Thank you for the reply/move. :) I'll do some more searching and see what I can find ^^

Is there a reason why this thread was moved back to the place I requested it to be moved from?! O.o

Is there a reason why this thread was moved back to the place I requested it to be moved from?! O.o

Not by me. I don't know who moved it, nor why. I'll move it back to Prescription Medications forum.

nope retin-a will do nothing for oily skin.

dr's like to think it will - because it has an alcohol base.....so when u put it on, its kinda like an astringent and drys ur skin out.

But in reality - all it does is dehydrate the surface of ur skin temporarily, and underneath ur oily glands just keep on doing what they do....and within a few hours u'll be exactly the same again.

retin-a just keeps ur pores clear, and is anti aging too :)

Ask your Derm for a small dosage of Accutane, it is the only thing that can treat seborrhea - unless ur a woman, and i think some birth control can help with oily skin.....