Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i have to admit i spent the best part of the day sunbathin, i have a bit more colour and glow but how long will it take to clear up acne scars ? i use sunscreen when i sunbathe but is regulary sunbathing dangerous ?

Sunbathing won't get rid of acne scars. The sun may make them less visible, but the sun won't get rid of them.

What SPF sunscreen do you use? It should at least be 30

Sunbathing makes EVERY scar on my body and red marks on my face WAY more noticeable! I always use an SPF45 on my face when going in the sun.

I think the sun makes my red marks/scars more noticeable too. My face looks pretty good after going on vacation but I think that's because the color is making my scars blend in. Once that sun fades, I'm left with the same ole dark red marks.

I've actually been getting chemical peels and my esthetician made me promise to stop using the tanning bed or going out in the sun w/o sunscreen...she said that the beds will make red marks worse and completely erase any progress the peels make. I know I would have red marks regardless but I truly feel like the tanning beds have made my skin a lot worse than it would be had I stayed away from them...as much as I hate to admit it :confused:

Make sure you put on sunscreen (my esthetician said even SPF 15 or 20 would be good choices).

Plus with chemical peels you're at greater risk of sun damage, particularly with glycolic acid or TCA peels.

Original poster: tanning your red marks will just make them darker and make them take longer to fade. Plus you're setting yourself up for some not so pretty wrinkles at a younger age.

Tanning beds make your red marks worse?

says who

I can understand the person doing the chemical peels saying dont do it because clearly you just had a intense peel and it would be useless then

but other then that how does tanning beds make red marks worse?

valid evidence ?

any type of UVA-UVB rays are going to damage your skin and make acne not only more noticable but also more prevalent. the exception however is if it's just very very moderate exposure which is actually good for skin because the sun's rays have antibacterial properties and it causes the skin to produce vitamin D, BUT THIS IS ONLY VERY VERY MODERATE EXPOSURE that is beneficial IE 15 minutes max.

sources??

http://www.acne.org/myths.html

http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/FAQ.html

and my own personal experience