Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
v_singh

has anyone gotten rid of clogged pores / blackheads through diet

anyone ? and what did you do diet wise. ive reduced the amount of dairy i eat alot, and stoped milk altogether about 3 months ago ... still no improvement :(

Maybe dairy isn't your problem. It doesn't break me out either although I only have limited amounts.

What else have you done to your diet?

hi, ive pretty much cut out all dairy and i stoped eating bread. although i still do have a few gains. i dont really eat much at all now and ive lost even more weight. (i was really underweight to start with now im at like a BMI of 15). i eat quite a lot of chicken and other meat. dont eat fruit or vegetables. i read somewhere here certain fruits are bad coz of the sugar or something ...im not sure. dont take any vitamins or supps.

wot would i need to do do get rid of these clogged pores which im guessing starts from hyper keratinization.

lol sugar from fruit is good..

whoops .. lol cool.

If one of your parents had acne, you will most likely keep breaking it out until in the 20's. I'm 22 years old and I'm 100% clear! When I had acne I would break out no matter what I eat! I even tried eating salads only! And still broke out. Though, I'm using BP creams! Thus, it keeps me clear!

whoops .. lol cool.

If one of your parents had acne, you will most likely keep breaking it out until in the 20's. I'm 22 years old and I'm 100% clear! When I had acne I would break out no matter what I eat! I even tried eating salads only! And still broke out. Though, I'm using BP creams! Thus, it keeps me clear!

yea my dad had acne when he was my age ... he doesnt get it anymore but he still gets blackheads .... im 20 ... dont really get acne on my face anymore just loads of white clogged pores they can all be rubbed off my skin but they keep comin back and its getting worse (there not blackheads - btu caused by the same thing i think)

ive been reading alternatvista's posts and if what she is saying is true then i should be able to get rid of this problem once and for all.

Eat some fruit and vegetables. Especially the sulfur containing veggies like spinach, kale, broccoli, cabbage. Try Green smoothies.

What do you drink?

i only drink water ... have been doing this for probs about a year now + i dont drink alchol at all

i eat onions lol ... raw. my mum cooks alot of food with onions garlic etc (we're indian) so i just sometimes eat onions raw. ive done this for many years since i already knew they were good for your heart.

are there any specific fruits and vegetablesyou would recommend ?

edit: i also just found out that onions have quite abit of chromium in it

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=51

.... now im confued as to why im still getting these skin problems

Digestion? Do you chew your food well? Binge eat? Eat regular meals keeping blood sugar levels stable? Sleep well? Physically Active?

Get sunlight or supplement vitamin D?

All I know about hyperkeratinization is listed here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...54#entry2581754

I spent some time trying to find out how to boost IGFBP-3, but didn't finish.

Ive been eating these vegan chocolate chip cookies from trader joes and I notice everytime I eat them, I break out. I dont know if its a coincidence or what. How would I test for it? Next time I go to the grocery store, I wont buy them. Not only am I worried they break me out but I am so addicted to them, I eat the whole bag in one day and as a result, I gain weight

i do chew my food well and i dont binge eat. one thing i pretty much always do is miss breakfast ... but i dont eat a MASSIVE lunch that counts for breakfast and lunch. i dont really eat much in one go coz i get 'filled up' quite easily.

i sleep O.K. but it could be better i guess.

i walk a lot but dont do any propert exercise ... i dont see how exercise would help because when i was in high school i played basketball for an 1 and 1/2 hours every day (i did that for 5 years and my acne was at its worst then).

i get sunlight on my face now that its summer.

could i have some vitamin defiency thats causing my problem ? do all vitamins have to come through our diet ?

i walk a lot but dont do any propert exercise ... i dont see how exercise would help because when i was in high school i played basketball for an 1 and 1/2 hours every day (i did that for 5 years and my acne was at its worst then).

i get sunlight on my face now that its summer.

could i have some vitamin defiency thats causing my problem ? do all vitamins have to come through our diet ?

You don't have to work out, just be active. Walking is fine. There are some nutrients that affect hyperkeratinization/hyperproliferation. Vitamin D is one. Linoleic acid affects sebum quality.

whoops .. lol cool.

yea my dad had acne when he was my age ... he doesnt get it anymore but he still gets blackheads .... im 20 ... dont really get acne on my face anymore just loads of white clogged pores they can all be rubbed off my skin but they keep comin back and its getting worse (there not blackheads - btu caused by the same thing i think)

ive been reading alternatvista's posts and if what she is saying is true then i should be able to get rid of this problem once and for all.

Wait up, alternatvista's a lass? I feel like my world has just been turned on it's head :wacko: In all seriousness, why does my subconscious hold on to the out-dated notion that all gender-ambigious persons on the net are guys :doh:

To the OP, here' some good advice - well at least the stuff that has been most effective for me:

- Dark green vegetables (kale, brocolli, spinach, collard greens etc.) are the kings of nutrition; i.e have more nutrients in them pound for pound than any other food. These should be eaten often.

-Fruit and veg in their natural unprocessed form are always good choices.

-Refined sugar, the stuff in chocolate, cakes, cookies and the like should be avoided. Eat them as a treat now and again if you must have them, but don't make them a regular part of the diet.

-Deep Fried and fast food, which is basically the same in most cases, should be avoided.

-Keep hydrated and sleep well (both go without saying really)

- In my experience two diets are good for helping acne; the high fat low carb and the low fat high carb. Pick what you want, but in my opinion the low fat high carb is the better of the two (especially long term) although results skin wise are slower to attain but the overall improvement in vitality in general makes up for it. I always felt sluggush on the high fat approach when i tried it, I personally wouldn't go down that route. So if you follow this recommendation try to cut down on fat intake if possible which does mean cutting down on animal products if you're the typical westerner and have some at every meal.

- Soak your grains! This is important if you want to eat them regualrly, as in the normal state their hard for you body to break down, which is why they get such bad rep. Rice and oats are the ones I normally opt for. This basically involves leaving the grains soak in a pot or what ever for some time before eating them. The cooking time reduces to half when I do this for rice and oats, as the stuff that makes it so difficult to break down is leeched out into the water. (I have yet to try it with other grains but I imagine the same holds true) Whats better is the texture of the grain is more palitable, you could swear you're eating the white stuff when eating brown rice that's soaked.

For Rice I recommend 6 hours as a minimum soaking time and oats 12 hours. So you could basically just leave it overnight and have it in the morning.

Obviously wheat in the form of bread can't be soaked, as this would just result in a vile soggy lump lol. Not something you really want. ;)

-Green Smoothies!! Need I say more ;)

-Do some resistance exercises (press-ups, chin-ups, squats, weights what ever you're into). Muscle helps regulate blood sugar - which is an extremely common problem nowadays and has been linked with acne sufferers. Exercise also helps stave off depression, boots the immune system encourages circulation and is crucial for overall vitality. Now when I say build some muscle I'm not necessarily saying body build, It's more to do with toning and defining more than anything else. Not that I have anything against body building but I think a lean but also defined physique is the optimum. Which would probably help your self esteem to boot !

-Finally stop fretting about your diet! I was like you and worried about nearly everything that could potentially break me out, and I to lost a lot of weight too. Eat a clean and healthy diet for the majority of the time and treat yourself now and then with something not so great but you enjoy. This is the best way. Stress believe it or not contributes to your health (and by default your skin), the stress of highly restrictive diets is neither worth it or beneficial in the long term.

In fact when I first changed to a 'clean' diet from a incredibly bad one, I broke out more initially, a life time of bad habits had accumulated alot of gunk in my system - but after a few weeks the results were staggering. Not to mention having better energy levels and a list of other health complaints clearing up.

So please keep at it! Especially if you don't see results in the short term.

Wait up, alternatvista's a lass? I feel like my world has just been turned on it's head :wacko: In all seriousness, why does my subconscious hold on to the out-dated notion that all gender-ambigious persons on the net are guys :doh:

Most of you do. It makes me worry that feminism has gotten nowhere.

Most of you do. It makes me worry that feminism has gotten nowhere.

My apologies :) As I said before, subconsciously I made my stupid assumption. I blame the fact that when I first did get on the internet it was basically 99% guys, and the other 1% pretending just to be woman. They were dark days indeed :|

I don't quite understand your comment on feminism though, personally speaking I'm a firm believer in equality for all races, gender, creed etc. Have you read into something in my previous comments that I didn't intend?

I don't quite understand your comment on feminism though, personally speaking I'm a firm believer in equality for all races, gender, creed etc. Have you read into something in my previous comments that I didn't intend?

No, I'm reading something into that fact the males here are frequently assuming everyone else is male.

BTW, I've been on the net and had the same email address since '96. And I don't mean AOL.

well im cuttin out all dairy and grains just too make sure these are not cause of my shit skin.

im gonna eat loads of dark green vegetables and mabey some fruit.

take vit D supplement and omega 3/6 oil and carry on eating onions (sulfur).

i dont eat refined sugars and havent done for most of my life e.g. cakes, chocolates, chrips etc ... just dont like them.

i walk alot everyday ... like 3 - 4 miles. ... so thats my exercise.

man i hope this nutrition thing works ... tired of living like this

Where do you get these? Maybe it's folliculitus which men often get from shaving.

everywhere except my chin. its greatest on my nose. i can see the white 'plugs' coming out of every pore

plus i dont have much facial hair coz it grows slowly. i dont use a razor to shave either i use on of the electric beard trimmers to cut it short.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if acne is hormonal/genetic, isn't it impossible to get rid of it until you grow out of it? I mean, you can improve it to certain extent but it's impossible to be clear from hormonal/genetic acne right?

Correct me if I'm wrong but if acne is hormonal/genetic, isn't it impossible to get rid of it until you grow out of it? I mean, you can improve it to certain extent but it's impossible to be clear from hormonal/genetic acne right?

You are wrong. It's true that you can't 'cure' it. But you can get and keep your skin pretty darn clear with a blood sugar stabilizing therefore hormone balancing and anti-inflammatory diet and habits.

There are dozens of people here on this forum who have done it. And plenty of others out there. I started changing my diet after reading tons of posts on another forum from Atkins dieters saying the diet cleared their skin. And there are many studies showing diet's effect on hormones and hormonal conditions such as acne.

Where do you get these? Maybe it's folliculitus which men often get from shaving.

its not follicultis