Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wwfasd?

need a new regime, proactiv no longer works

ok. so i am a 20 year old female. i have had acne since 14. when i was 18, it was prone to cystic. I have used everything my derm prescribed including doxy, differin, BP 4%, etc. I have even used tea tre oil, sulfur soap. the most sucess i had was the sulfur soap but it wouldn't last long.

then last summer i was fed up and decided to give proactiv a shot. i used it once before but only for a month. this time i continued, and my skin was awesome!

i would occasionally break out, but nothing i couldn't handle! no cysts no big deal right? well starting in around april my acne became more stubborn. i even got a cyst before that time of the month.

i started to freak out. i stopped using proactiv for a week thinking my skin has become immune to it, and returned to sulfur soap. then i decided to go back to proactiv, worried that i had no other choice. it stinged but i decided no big deal. then i used the refining mask one day.

i used the refining mask perhaps 5 times in the year i was on proactiv. it didnt do anything, except feel nice afterwards and a little drying. this time my skin broke out into a terrible rash on the one side of my face.

my derm (who sucks by the way) saw me for 5 sec and was like you allergic to sulfur probably from the mask and said i had contact deramtitis. she gave me a steriod cream for my face and said use only that and cetaphil for a week.

i think my skin however is hyperpigmented. on top of all this i just discovered i have follicultis.

i tried using the toner and lotion of proactiv yesterday (3 days earlier than i am suppose to) and it made my forehead ithcy (where follicultis is) and my cheeks stinged.

my concern right now, is to find a new acne treatment. Dans seems to look good, but i wanted to know what my fellow acne sufferes are using.

i have severe issue with blackheads around my nose, whitehead problem under chin and nose and jawline, and now on my cheeks (WHERE I NEVER BREAK OUT) have whiteheads and some pustules that are tiny...on my forehead i have white heads between my eyebrows and follicultis on my upper foreheads.

i am really upset about this. acne has always been an issue for me, i thought i found my "cure" with proactiv.

i can not take accutane.

I am sorry you are going through a hard time right now. I am also a 20-year-old female.

I'm happy to say that my face is practically clear and I have been clear for a while now. I use Dan's products. They are the best! I use his cleanser, BP treatment, AHA+ (the best!), and CeraVe moisturizer, although I just bought some of his moisturizer to try. Dan's products are high-quality and very affordable. Give them a try!!

I also pay attention to my diet. That is very important. Look through the nutrition/holistic health boards for plenty of tips! For me, eliminating dairy and taking cod liver oil pills help.

Like what Dan says, keep it simple and add in one variable at a time. I have also used Proactiv in the past and it is not good. I believe that toners and facials are unnecessary.

Good luck, hope this sorta helps!! :)

I am sorry you are going through a hard time right now. I am also a 20-year-old female.

I'm happy to say that my face is practically clear and I have been clear for a while now. I use Dan's products. They are the best! I use his cleanser, BP treatment, AHA+ (the best!), and CeraVe moisturizer, although I just bought some of his moisturizer to try. Dan's products are high-quality and very affordable. Give them a try!!

I also pay attention to my diet. That is very important. Look through the nutrition/holistic health boards for plenty of tips! For me, eliminating dairy and taking cod liver oil pills help.

Like what Dan says, keep it simple and add in one variable at a time. I have also used Proactiv in the past and it is not good. I believe that toners and facials are unnecessary.

Good luck, hope this sorta helps!! :)

thank you for responding! i do believe i will try dans- i have heard of carleys smooth skin regime, and it has a lot of great reviews. but ill most likely end up with dans. i hope this works =[