Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PokerPro

Not Washing Face for a month: Log

hi guys ive decided to create this log and try this method because its been a bit over 3 years of suffering from pretty bad skin and its basically had extreme negative effects on myself my mind and my confidence etc. basically i have little acne but i suffer from insane dermatitis where i have thinned my skin due to the use of lots of harsh otc products and red marks / rough skin texture / scars the lot. i dont have a current regime at all as i believe the key to being happy with ur skin is to basically forget about it and not stress about it, however just using water seems not to help my skin to be honest, the water just seems to dry it out and cause dermatitis hence i stress and hence it gets worse and u get my point it basically spirals into a vicious cycle. So basically in the next month i plan to not wash my face / not think about it, but not worry too much if i get a bit of water on it by accident, im just trying not to stress about it at all and let it heal on its own. I plan to excercise and let sweat dry on my skin as ive only experienced good results in doing so. I will also try n let rain water hit my skin as its ph is 5.5 or something i believe and this will only help my skin and its natural!

Becuase i really believe i need to do this to finally be free of my skin and not think about it i decided to shave my head so that my hair would not get annoying and get oily and make me stress about it touching my skin etc etc. (to put the sacrifice into perspective i had baby dreadlocks and when i cut them it felt like breaking up with a girlfriend!! wierd i know but u really do get attached to dreaded hair lol)

um thats about it, im not sure how often ill post because obviously im trying to forget about it, but i will still try n post updates so to help others if they want to know if this method works and what happens etc.

so i will give u guys an update on where im at atm. My skin looks good in dimmed light however just atrocious (spelling) in bright light (this is something i dont want to be afraid of anymore as u cant go through life being afraid of god dam light!). My oil production is reallly quite good atm as ive not really used any otc products in months however the dermatitis is still strong as ever.

so yeah im just gonna live my life n try n forget about my skin!!

peace out!

Good luck :) I started this about 6 days ago, and I'm curious of your progress.

so i thought id make my first few updates quite regular then take it more casual

24 hours after last face wash:

so i feel fine, dont feel oily or anything, i think thats mainly because i dont have any oily hair to stress about anymore! face is looking good dermatitis is actually already clearing up. This is probably because last night i went for the most brutal run i think ive ever done, oddly enough i really didnt sweat a whole lot which i believe is becauase my sweat pores have been quite damaged or maybe because its winter here, Nevertheless exercise / sweat definately does help my skin. anyways going to continue a semi/ healthy diet i.e no sugars / oily / greasy food, however i will be continuing my consumption of dairy products and small snacks as i just cant go through life not drinking milk, sugar fine coz its bad for u but c'mn milk is great. Um ill be drinking lots of water as i always do (bout 5 500ml bottles a day) and thats about it ill write another update when i feel like it!

oh also id like to state that im not taking ANY supplements of any kind, to get my vitamins and minerals im just going to eat my fruit and vegges!

48 hours after i last washed:

so i thought id update based on how it feels rather than looks atm. Last night after 36 hours or so i finally got some noticable oil production on my nose, which is actually still mildly there but when i touch it its not greasy it feels moist which is good. my face feels feeling kind of un comfortable when i wake up however i expect this for a few weeks but its one of my main goals to be able to wake up and my face not feeling uncomfortable.

so im not looking forward to today as i have tafe for 7 hours or so, but hopefully now i have no hair i wont feel as oily / uncomfortable.

Ok so its about 55 hours after i last washed. I came home after tafe and i felt disgusting and uncomfortable and this was also the trend during the day. SO ive decided i will rinse my face w/ a strongly diluted baking soda concoction (2 tea spoon baking soda : 600ml water) when i get uncomfortable to a point where i stress about my skin however i will be thriving for length in between washes. I just cant go thru tafe feeling uncomfortable and feeling oily/disgusting because this makes u think about ur skin more and more hence induces stress hence oil etc etc.

So ill update in a few weeks with my new updated regime

p.s. its about 10 mins after i rinsed and wow this baking soda concoction really is leaving my skin nice and soft :D:D

i dont hyave acne i have damaged skin / course texture / red marks etc. I need these to heal on their own u cant wash them off

Why dont you just wash your face less often? This is very risky. Not washing your face can cause worsening of acne

It's not risky at all. Browse through any of the forums devoted to this topic. If people quit, which everyone does at some point or another (unless you're adam or waterwater), you'll notice they complain of a 'dead skin mask.' If I missed someone quitting because their acne dramatically worsened i apologize, but I have yet to come across it.

The problem with this regimen of not washing your face is it's IMPOSSIBLE to live a life while doing it. I've been on this site for a long time, at the beginning all I had was acne issues, later redness, and while the acne disappeared and the redness reduced over time, there are still noticeable problems. I have visited a dermatologist in the past, too. He suggested it's not rosacea (since it appeared my pores were clogged with tiny white marks that were leading to irritation). The problem was, after taking medication and ointments nothing changed and redness only increased.

I thought to myself, if its an issue of clogged pores, why the hell aren't they being unclogged? Jesus, using a combination of anti-biotics and ointment should have done its job -- but it didn't. There had to be something more to this.

After a year past I came upon the waterwater thread and tried it. For five days I didn't wash my face or hair. I wanted an accurate experiment of whether my condition improved. On day six I washed my face and was amazed at how much the redness had reduced after the dead skin was removed. It honestly looked better than any time in the last several years; including the year I had been medicated with acne treatments.

But what was the reason for this? My condition had to be because of irritation. The main problem, again, is its tough to follow. I would never be able to last a month. Since March/April of 08, when this came about, I have tried it off and on. For awhile (maybe 5-6 months) I abandoned it and began a SA/BP treatment. The BP treatment I went nearly two months, and after nothing approved I had reached my limit. Since giving up on BP I tried a variety of redness reducing cleansers to no avail. Hell, I've also tried other means of washing my face, such as putting my face until a faucet releasing cold water on/off for 15 mins. While the previous treatment did reduce redness in the beginning, I found out that over a few days oiliness returned with a vengenace. And it would begin to form less than an hour after washing.

Here is my reasonable plan now. Whenever I go out, I wash my hair with a skin cleanser (it works well and doesn't have any of shampoos harsh additives) and lightly remove dead skin from my face with a wet cotton ball. When I return home I don't wash my face. On the other occasions I'm at home and not going anywhere, I wont wash my face or hair. I'll still clean the pits and groin area, though. Shaving is accomplished with a cheap razor and nothing but water as lubrication. I've tried it now two straight weeks and have been surprised at its ease.

I believe this plan best suites me. I can't just abandon washing because I go out with friends frequently and work in an environment where I'm in close contact with people.

@nec2234:

I think you pretty much summarised everything people go through with this regime. It simply isn't realistic to not wash at all. All of my friends, I assume have showers once a day, I say assume cos when i told them i hadn't washed in 3 days when i first started trying the regime they were disgusted! I have always wondered what would happen if we all just lived a few moths exactly like people without acne. One thing I have really noticed with this regime is how sensitive my skin really is. It's worth trying even if it just serves as a wake up call to how we all overwash etc.

p.s. its about 10 mins after i rinsed and wow this baking soda concoction really is leaving my skin nice and soft :D:D

Yes, but it's counterproductive to what this method is supposed to do which is restore the 'damaged' acid mantle. The acid mantle is the natural acidity of the skin which is made that way from sweat and sebum secretions. And is stripped away by washing with alkaline cleansers. Baking soda is even more alkaline. Yes, it's a nice exfoliator, but if you use it, you need to follow with an acidic toner like diluted ACV. Which is all you need to do to restore your acid mantle after washing.

ok so its been around 84 hours since i last washed. FEW changes

• Extremely red / flaky skin (almost looks like sunburn but yuckier, with a noticable line between the obvious non damaged skin and the damaged skin)which is itchy as hell on the spots that i believe i most damaged during my use of topicals (area of skin under eyes/beside nose, cheeks, forehead)
  • happy with my nose, it looks a little bit oily but good.
  • ive had absolutely no Pimples develop during the 84 hour period depsite the vast amount of flakes/oil and i guess bacteria present on my face, which really doesnt help suffice conventional wisdom that these three things must be present to cause pimples, coz boy they are all present and in great numbers baby

the red flaky skin make it hard to keep going on the regime but i will stay optimistic and keep up my exercise and intake of apples/oranges + veges and lots of water.

however if it stays inflamed and just a mess ill have to rinse with water cool water and apply some acv to help lessen the inflamation.

ok so about 120 hours since i last washed.

still very red/flakey skin on my damaged portions of face.

no real change to tone from what i can tell as most of the face is red and flakey

feeling less and less uncomfortable as the days go on which is good

nose startin to develop some sort of dead skin layer, cannot see it but it feels like theres a layer on it

thats about it, hopefully the redness will go down in the next few dys or its going to be very hard at tafe facing the public

yesterday at about 128 hours i decided to wet my face and wash with some of my all natural tea tree shampoo (very diluted i might add). after wards i looked in the mirror and i was shocked the dead skin layer was disgusting, i hence applied some acv via spray bottle (diluted about 1:4).

so this morning i woke up my skin was extremely flaky lots and lots of flakes everywhere, somehow i had the courage to face the public and go to tafe. however a few hours in i noticed the desk was littered with flakes lol i couldnt handle it i had to leave, which was fine as i started on some homework :)

anyway its night time now and the flakes are starting to shed on my forehead pretty nicely and wow the skin underneath feels amazing! nice and soft and feels moisturised underneath not that oily feeling most of us are farmiliar with.

cheeks and area besides nose / under eyes are still fairly flaky but hopefully they will be gone in the next few days revealing some new healthy skin. so at this stage im not going to wet my face so the new skin doesnt get irritated. however i will be applying a diluted acv mixture to my face to speed up the shedding of flakes.

ok so its about 16 hours after i last posted and WOW im amazed. cant believe ive seen such a nice transformation in such a short amount of time, i was assuming this would take alot longer but everywhere where my skin was flaky is now basically flake free and feels and looks so good (good for me anyway which is big). going to continue minimal washing for a thorough healing of the skin, im so excited! haha