Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
..pi

This dose seems way too high :(

I went to my dermatologist and my eyeballs nearly shot out of their respective sockets when he told me he wanted me to take 40mg every day and then step it up to 80mg after a week , taking two 40mg pills a day. I'm about 127lbs, and to me, this seems a bit high, especially considering the fact that my acne isn't even at all severe compared to what it was formerly. I don't even have a single whitehead at the moment, and only really two blemishes on my cheeks, not counting the healing ones and the small ones. My forehead is a different story, but it's still better off than it's been. He seemed insistent upon this though, and I think his generous dosage may be some sort of misguided attempt to show friendliness, because he seems to somewhat enjoy my visits. Anyhoo, should I talk to him about lowering the dosage or is this actually reasonable? Perhaps I look a lot heavier than I am, but i'd really rather not accept that as a possibility :(

No offense, but I somehow doubt this community knows more than a Dermatologist. I'm sure some idiots make it through medical school, but only the brightest make it into Dermatology (no joke, derm. is one of the most competitive residencies). If he thinks 80mg is ok, then go for it.

^ you haven't even taken accutane and your recommending it to people? you dont find anything wrong with that? and neither have the many dermatologists which you put so highly on a pedestal. your post is filled with blatant layman rhetoric and your whole attitude has me questioning your knowledge in anything.

..pi i took 80mg a day and i was at 160. i only took it for a month and realized it was killing a lot of healthy cells in my body and i quit taking it. a few months later i started getting some pretty heavy side effects. and now a year after taking accutane i still have em. i am in awe how anyone could still be alive after 80mg a day at 5 months or more.

polls on this website show that about 1/3 receive negative effects from high doses of accutane.

No offense, but I somehow doubt this community knows more than a Dermatologist. I'm sure some idiots make it through medical school, but only the brightest make it into Dermatology (no joke, derm. is one of the most competitive residencies). If he thinks 80mg is ok, then go for it.

uhm. accutally Derms is the easiest field to be in...They hardley do anything compared to other physican fields.

The only reason it is so competitive is b/c so many want to go into it and there is only a few spots for residency. (I know my husbands a surgeon)

..pi- I wouldn't do 80mg that does seem a lot. I was 121pds and put on 80mg in my 4th month and I have severe side effects that are with me everyday. I am 1yr post tane.

You say you hardley have any acne left soo I don't understand the bump up when obviously 40mg is working fine.

Yes in regard to dermatology the field, it is rather vague, and contains a multitude of variables. Too many categories and sub categories for me to memorize. Personally I wouldn't take the job,

I would focus on just facial skin, or legs, or arms... And they do have derms that focus on sub categories. But they also have ones that claim they can do it all. Except only a few have the all around skill to be an all in one derm. Some are also in they're 60's like my derm. And I think we all have experience in how dad seems to forget things. Lol!

Which brings me to another point, I notice this trend in society.

Most people often determine the "truth" of a statement primarily based on the social authority of the person, not on the logical consistency or evidential validity. It takes a really nonsensical statement or experience (in my case) for them to actually rationally process and reject it on its own demerits, and even then they fail to do so very frequently.

80mg is way to high....I weigh 165lbs and was on 40mg 1st month and 60mg 2nd month..and I will stay at 60. i am not even a week into my 2nd month and I will not go above 60mg. It sounds to me like you should not even be on accutane, and you know this so you should consider not even taking the drug.

I don't know if the fact that it's a generic brand has anything to do with it. I'm taking sotret, I took the first pill today. I think that i'm just going to tell him i'm not comfortable with 80, and that i'd rather stay at 40. Also i'd like to elaborate on the condition of my skin-- it's no where near as docile as I made it sound. It just happens to be fairly dormant right now, at least, it's no where near as bad as it's been at any point in the past 5 years. I also forgot to mention my back, which is covered in bacne. So it's not that I don't really qualify to take it. Another thing-- even if he persists on taking 80 a day, couldn't I just take 40 without telling him? he'd really be none the wiser. I know it's no good to keep things from your derm but it's my health and I really believe from past experience that accutane (sotret) is the only solution to my skin, especially as i'm approaching a very important junction in my life: the transition from high school to the real world.

Oli girl: i've read about your experiences on accutane, and feel the utmost sympathy for the difficulties you continue to experience. I understand that accutane has the potential to be a life-changing drug, and at this point, that's a risk i'm willing to take. I wish you the best of luck in recovering and salvaging your quality of life.

nvaspider: thanks for that, it kind of confirmed my belief that 80mg is wayyy too high. Isotretinoin in such a massive quantity has got to have some nasty results. If I can hack it on 40mg, why put my health at risk for no reason?

cosmo24: cosmo was my dog's name :) Like I mentioned, I kind of understated my skin, so it's not that I have no reason to take it. I've gone through minocycline, bactrim, 10% BP wash, differin, Retin-A Micro, and countless OTC products with no results whatsoever. Actually I take that back; I got results with bactrim, 10% BP wash and retin-A micro (all of which I was on at the same time): they turned my face bright orange and not only was my acne worse from there on out, but it dried everything out so badly that my skin was cracked all the way through so that I bled when I smiled or attempted any sort of expression at all. I was peeling for almost 3 months afterward, it wasn't any fun at all :( Accutane will be oodles of fun though, i'm sure. What with the depression and the joint pain and the nosebleeds and everything else, how could it not be fun?

Lol I weigh 100 lbs and I was on 80 mgs for 3 months straight, and my acne was mild.

If you're scared, tell him you want to be on a lower dose.

Lol I weigh 100 lbs and I was on 80 mgs for 3 months straight, and my acne was mild.

have you had any side effects? or was the course pretty tame?

I wish you good luck with your course ..PI. I would though inform you derm that you only feel comfortable with taking 40mg, even if you have to call them. Look at the studies up above of sucess with even a lower dose then 40mg.

As for Accutane and dose, it effects everyone diffrently, some have no problems on 80mg and weigh less, some weigh more and have problems.

You really never know how it will effect you till you take it.

Your derm should really respect your wishes, your the one that has to take the medcine and you will be the one who has to deal with any side effects that may occur.

good luck :D

i weigh 132 lbs and took 80 mg/day for 5 months. 80 mg is a fairly high dose... but its not the max! you are supposed to have between .5mg/kg and 2 mg/kg. you are about 60 kg so the min dose is 30 mg/day and the max is 120 mg/day. it talks about the dosage info in the folded paper in the box. i dont now how much research you've done, but in order to have the BEST chance of your acne going into remission, you are supposed to have a cumulative dose of about 120 mg/kg over your entire course. i reached 200mg/kg at the end of 5 months. people on a higher dose tend to have more sever side effects (but it seems like people on really low doses complain the most... go figure) and usually have a worse initial breakout.... HOWEVER somewhere in that paper it says that people who take a higher dose are less likely to need a 2nd course and have a higher success rate. i know its a tough decision! i was worried about taking a high dose too, but i only experienced mild side effects that went away once i finished accutane. its different for everyone so do what you are most comfortable with! you can always ask your derm to change your dose if you start to have sever side effects. good luck though!!!

uhm. accutally Derms is the easiest field to be in...They hardley do anything compared to other physican fields.

The only reason it is so competitive is b/c so many want to go into it and there is only a few spots for residency. (I know my husbands a surgeon)

..pi- I wouldn't do 80mg that does seem a lot. I was 121pds and put on 80mg in my 4th month and I have severe side effects that are with me everyday. I am 1yr post tane.

You say you hardley have any acne left soo I don't understand the bump up when obviously 40mg is working fine.

Exactly what I mean. Don't trust anyone on the internet. Everyoen thinks they know everything. A Derm actually has to prove they know what they're doing. And for what it's worth, you have to be INCREDIBLY smart to get into dermatology because all med students want it for the cushy hours and good pay, smarty.

I would trust your doctor and take the recommended dosage and see how you feel. Listen to your body and if 80mg is too much, then address it with your derm and then maybe he can lower your dose. I wouldnt trust anyone on this site compared to a doctors prescription.

Exactly what I mean. Don't trust anyone on the internet. Everyoen thinks they know everything. A Derm actually has to prove they know what they're doing. And for what it's worth, you have to be INCREDIBLY smart to get into dermatology because all med students want it for the cushy hours and good pay, smarty.

Omgu8myrice- I find your response funny, Your Not Even On Accutane...Why B/C your derm said your acne wasn't neccessary for Accutane, But yet you posted on here to get info on how to get your derm to give it to you. Maybe you need to listen to your Derm and not people on the Internet since your derm is sooo smart.

I bet if you were you'd be posting and asking questions right?

Really what I find is that people say "Oh listen to your derm he knows best",but then if you get side effects then it is "Oh you should of done your research Accutane is a dangerous drug"

Good Luck ..PI if you end up doing the 80mg just listen to your body and and if it is too much let your derm know, but look at the low dose studies above, people have had sucess on a low dose.

I don't know if the fact that it's a generic brand has anything to do with it. I'm taking sotret, I took the first pill today. I think that i'm just going to tell him i'm not comfortable with 80, and that i'd rather stay at 40. Also i'd like to elaborate on the condition of my skin-- it's no where near as docile as I made it sound. It just happens to be fairly dormant right now, at least, it's no where near as bad as it's been at any point in the past 5 years. I also forgot to mention my back, which is covered in bacne. So it's not that I don't really qualify to take it. Another thing-- even if he persists on taking 80 a day, couldn't I just take 40 without telling him? he'd really be none the wiser. I know it's no good to keep things from your derm but it's my health and I really believe from past experience that accutane (sotret) is the only solution to my skin, especially as i'm approaching a very important junction in my life: the transition from high school to the real world.

Oli girl: i've read about your experiences on accutane, and feel the utmost sympathy for the difficulties you continue to experience. I understand that accutane has the potential to be a life-changing drug, and at this point, that's a risk i'm willing to take. I wish you the best of luck in recovering and salvaging your quality of life.

nvaspider: thanks for that, it kind of confirmed my belief that 80mg is wayyy too high. Isotretinoin in such a massive quantity has got to have some nasty results. If I can hack it on 40mg, why put my health at risk for no reason?

cosmo24: cosmo was my dog's name :) Like I mentioned, I kind of understated my skin, so it's not that I have no reason to take it. I've gone through minocycline, bactrim, 10% BP wash, differin, Retin-A Micro, and countless OTC products with no results whatsoever. Actually I take that back; I got results with bactrim, 10% BP wash and retin-A micro (all of which I was on at the same time): they turned my face bright orange and not only was my acne worse from there on out, but it dried everything out so badly that my skin was cracked all the way through so that I bled when I smiled or attempted any sort of expression at all. I was peeling for almost 3 months afterward, it wasn't any fun at all :( Accutane will be oodles of fun though, i'm sure. What with the depression and the joint pain and the nosebleeds and everything else, how could it not be fun?

No don't change your dose without telling your derm, its no different from taking it without a prescription because you are self-medicating. Either you take 80mg or not at all.

If you feel that 80mg/day is too much and you are uncomfortable and your can't give specific reasons why you should be on 80mg, switch a new derm which will make you more comfortable.

Everybody needs to take responsibility when taking medicines.

umm, i have been on this drug for ALMOST 5 full months, and this month i've been upped to 160 mg a day of sotret...i weight 128 lbs, & am a 21 yr old female. my side effects are just dryness, lethargy, & that's it. I don't even have joint pain, & i work out 3-4 times a week fairly intensely. I also don't take any supplements, just eat food when i take the pills. plus, i am able to be in the sun, so long as i put a little spf on. i was freaked out about high dosages as well, but i feel like the body adapts to the drug, or at least mine has. of course, we all have different reactions, but the drug, for me at least, has not been as terrifying as i thought it would be...

holy schlemoli that's a lot. Good to hear you haven't gone bald or anything, though. Knock on wood.

either way i've decided to bite the bullet and take the 80mg when I get around to it, so this thread can be bumped off now instead of staying and taking up space. thanks for the replies, they helped me grow some balls :]

No, its not one of the easiest fields to be in. It requires twelve years of schooling

umm, i have been on this drug for ALMOST 5 full months, and this month i've been upped to 160 mg a day of sotret...i weight 128 lbs, & am a 21 yr old female. my side effects are just dryness, lethargy, & that's it. I don't even have joint pain, & i work out 3-4 times a week fairly intensely. I also don't take any supplements, just eat food when i take the pills. plus, i am able to be in the sun, so long as i put a little spf on. i was freaked out about high dosages as well, but i feel like the body adapts to the drug, or at least mine has. of course, we all have different reactions, but the drug, for me at least, has not been as terrifying as i thought it would be...

This is crazy, you are taking more than the recommended dose. The recommended dose is 0.5-2mg/kg. Please ask your derm why he is putting you on such a high dose over what it is recommended.

No, its not one of the easiest fields to be in. It requires twelve years of schooling

Acne Battle-I think I know My husband my husband just finished his residency and schooling of 13yrs in Surgery. Dermatology is the easisest out of all the fields of being a doctor.

Mega Star- I have a hard time believing your on that amount....I will pray for you to have no side effects after ingesting accutane.

Acne Battle-I think I know My husband my husband just finished his residency and schooling of 13yrs in Surgery. Dermatology is the easisest out of all the fields of being a doctor.

Mega Star- I have a hard time believing your on that amount....I will pray for you to have no side effects after ingesting accutane.

Eh it depends I think. Some dermatologist are cosmetic dermatologists so they do have to do some stuff somewhat similar to plastic surgery. My dermatologist also does surgery such as grafting and other skin related surgeries. He also treats STDs as well.

have you had any side effects? or was the course pretty tame?

Well I do have rosacea now, and I didn't before. So I can't go out in the sun for very long. But that's a really rare side effect, one I experienced I believe because I was genetically fucked to have rosacea to begin with.

During my course I had dry skin, dry lips, really bad back pain if I bent over, and my IB sucked but that was all really. Besides the rosacea I would say my course was very routine.

Oli Girl I find it unusual that the only posts you seem to put out there are ones that are bashing Accutane and trying to discourage people from taking it. Even if you have personally had a bad experience, that doesn't mean that everyone does or will. Accutane has helped many more people than it has hurt.

Also you constantly reference the fact that your husband is a surgeon. Who cares? It doesn't make you any more intelligent, which is obvious by the huge amount of misspellings and incorrect grammar in all of your posts.

It seems that you are just on here because you enjoy being negative and creating conflict. This site is supposed to be for people to get their questions answered and not be berated by someone for taking Accutane.

It really doesn't matter what anybody on this site or any dermatologist tells you. Taking accutane/isotretinoin is a gamble period. Some people have success on low doses, others have short term remissions on high doses. It really comes down to everyone is different. I'm 6'1 180lbs and my derm only started me on 60mg a day so far. I also have no idea if my derm is planning on increasing that but after reading about all these women on here taking a higher dose and weighing 50+ lbs less then me, he better bump me up to at least 80mg haha. Long term remission is the only reason I decided it was worth taking because I'm in the same situation as the OP. My acne has calmed down dramatically as I've gotten older. If I can just get to the point where I dont have to worry about cysts and only mild acne for the rest of my life, I'll be happy.