Notifications
Clear all

My results so far on a high fat diet

MemberMember
(@peanutbutterhoneysandwich)

Posted : 05/29/2009 8:49 pm

Please read through this fairly long post so you can help me determine some things..It would be GREATLY appreciated by anyone..thank you very much.

Ok, so I thought I had candida because for about 2 weeks straight I did nothing but eat lots of fats and at the same time grapes as well as loads of other fruits. Little did I know the fat was accumulating the sugar in my blood and because of it I believe I had a bad breakout. I thought it was candida because me eczema came back and I was tired and etc. This may be because of the extremely high pesticide residue on grapes and berries that I was eating. So I didn't learn this until today (the fat/sugar connection). Anyway Monday or so I started a high fat diet (eating only chicken, fish, lots of fats [olive oil, coconut oil, cod liver oil, flax seed oil] and leafy greens w/ the occasional cucumber or vegetable snack. Eating 3 big meals a day.) thinking that it would be my ultimate cure. So far my skin has come along great (its only been a week but for 3 months prior I've been eating super restrictive and healthy so I think it just compounded), less inflamed, not many active zits (until today and I think its cause I drank some young coconut water yesterday which is high in sugar) and looks just much more appealing and smooth.

so I did research also on this diet because for one, its fucking expensive to spend over 50-60 bucks a week on fucking chicken because I eat 2-3 breasts a day since I've yet to buy organic eggs and turkey is expensive too... I don't mind expenses cause I get all my food for free (and no my parents dont pay..) but it is much more difficult to get all this stuff consistently throughout the week and if I run out I have nothing to eat. I don't have a ride to the grocery store 24/7 so its a big pain in the ass to have to go every other day to stay stocked up and I don't have money to buy in bulk.

So, spending 20 bucks on a jar of coconut oil and 10 bucks on a little jar of olive oil and 20 more on flax oil and then like 50 on supplements

and THEN having to buy tons of protein foods which run out almost instantly.

Its FUCKING EXPENSIVE. I don't know how the hell you people kept up with it for 6 months (brendan).

So because of the inconvenience I did research on Candida and fruit (because I want to be able to eat fruit damn it). Loads of shit came up, from no fruit, to ALL fruit. Apparently the TRUE cause of candida is that the body isn't getting rid of the sugar in the blood fast enough because FATS are slowing it down. So Candida as an emergency 'friend' comes in and consumes the excess sugar in the blood. This quickly becomes out of control as you can tell.

But all fruit? That can't be healthy. I did more research. All fruit diets (like the 80/10/10) are very convincing, but just didn't seem to hold their weight so I dug deeper. It seems that an all fruit diet is just no way to live healthy for your entire life, and consuming pounds upon pounds of fruit for years is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. Damn near impossible and I'd get sick of it. I just want to be able to eat fruit (not to mention legumes and grains on occasion).

So I did more research and I also concluded before conducting this research that the best diet overall would be to minimize fat intake to 20-30% of daily calories and consume 40-50% carbs and 20-40% protein. This would balance well, sugar would be absorbed fairly fast and your body wouldn't go into emergency ketonisis or whatever its called. Apparently Dr. Weil's diet is similar to the one I assumed would be good.

Also, on my high fat diet, my DIGESTION has gone to complete and utter shit. I haven't taken a healthy crap since I started and also the stools I have taken have been diarrhea like. As well, I haven't had daily BMs since I started this diet. I used to crap 2-3 sometimes even 4 times a day. My colon was good to go and so was my intestinal tract. Starting the high fat diet I also did daily coffee enemas for 4 days. Figuring it was helping but didn't see any results like some people claim w/ coffee enemas.

So, I have no clue how people go through with these enormously high fat diets and I have no clue as to why they think it's healthy. The only source I've seen that says high fat diets aren't BAD for you is the whole Inuit thing. But Inuit people don't live extraordinarily long and they DO have their share of health problems. Lots of them lose their teeth at early ages. They do not THRIVE like people on well balanced diets. So it is absolutely ridiculous to consider following the same diet as these people.

also, Candida? Seriously? How many fucking people have candidiasis? I know it should be common in America but my fucking sister, brother, littler brother and mom ALL consume copious amounts of REFINED sugar (not even fruit sugar like I was eating) and they don't have fucking candida. This must be because of their relatively low/low moderate fat intake which allows the sugar to pass through easily. So I honestly believe that candida is a ridiculous assumption to people's acne. Acne is a side effect of candida but its not like EVERYONE with candida has acne so thats also ridiculous to believe that a common problem (unless you are an adult where it is caused by something else besides teenage hormones) like acne is caused by such an uncommon problem with literally tons of side effects, acne being just one of them and not present in all candida sufferers.

I'm scared that if I go back to eating fruit I will break out again, because I feel like this high fat diet seems to be working, but my digestion has gone haywire, I can't even touch sugar now because of my extremely high fat levels, and my grocery responsibilities have gone through the roof (as far as going to the grocery store and getting there when I need to. ) Also my energy levels remain low, I have no energy to burn but fat and my body just can't handle this I'm sure.

Isn't protein and fat supposed to be fairly hard to digest? Thats probably why my digestion sucks.

I just want some advice, should I continue with this high fat diet (and if you believe so please educate me as to why a high fat diet is healthy..from what I've seen it is just impossible to thrive on a high fat diet, poor digestion, emergency energy mode for body, humans dont naturally consume that much fat..It seems so much more logical to balance your food types than to just binge on fat and protein which are very hard to digest even with loads of probiotics.

I don't think Ihave candida..its just not logical to assume that because its so rare and I dont have that many common symptoms of candida. I'm a teenager with acne, eczema and fatigue, what the fucks new?

Help me out with uncovering this mystery please.

MemberMember
(@ghostunit)

Posted : 05/29/2009 9:01 pm

I'm on a high-fats, and high-protein diet. As a result, I'm 100% clear. I've been clear for two months. I usually get my fats from healthy food such as extra-virgin olive oil, and extra-virgin coconut oil. Good luck

MemberMember
(@peanutbutterhoneysandwich)

Posted : 05/29/2009 9:37 pm

I just don't understand it. I'm happy for you man, I remember reading a while back you were having troubles with skin even despite your various diet attempts.

I get all my fats from healthy sources too, but I just don't see how it clears your skin?

Could someone explain scientifically how consuming those copious amounts of fats and low aamounts of carbs helps skin?

BTW EddiE, whats your regimen like? 60% fats? 40-40% fats/protein and 10% carbs?

MemberMember
(@ghostunit)

Posted : 05/30/2009 12:03 am

I just don't understand it. I'm happy for you man, I remember reading a while back you were having troubles with skin even despite your various diet attempts.

I get all my fats from healthy sources too, but I just don't see how it clears your skin?

Could someone explain scientifically how consuming those copious amounts of fats and low aamounts of carbs helps skin?

BTW EddiE, whats your regimen like? 60% fats? 40-40% fats/protein and 10% carbs?

210g carbs , 150g fats , and 200g protein.

MemberMember
(@rakbs)

Posted : 05/30/2009 6:24 am

Okay, if you don't mind me saying...you've had a lot of misconceptions.

Ok, so I thought I had candida because for about 2 weeks straight I did nothing but eat lots of fats and at the same time grapes as well as loads of other fruits. Little did I know the fat was accumulating the sugar in my blood
MemberMember
(@paul25)

Posted : 05/30/2009 8:02 am

Im facing the same dilemma and all the different theory's just dont help, with so many different people saying different things its hard to know what approach to take. I know a high fat diet worsens my acne and causes more blackheads but i really dont want to go on an all fruit diet. If the high fat is working for you stick to it but i can imagine it been horrible if your not digesting foods properly and not going to the toilet as often.

MemberMember
(@stephen01)

Posted : 05/30/2009 10:50 am

At any point in your life have you taken antibiotics, prednesone, or any other drugs of that nature that suppress the immune system or kill bacteria? From what I've read taking antibiotics is one of the biggest things that allows candida overgrowth. Because we all have candida in our bodies but it's when something allows it to overgrow that you start having symptoms and problems. Once you have an overgrowth your bodies own defenses are overpowered and can't fight it off on it's own. There are other things that can allow candida overgrowth as well such as diet and parasites.

I know most people don't want to believe they could possibly have any parasites in them but many of us do. It's estimated that more then 50% of people in the western world have some parasitic or semi-parasitic thing living inside their body. There are a lot of places you can get them from including the water you drink, the foods you eat, household pets, and a lot of people get them when they travel to other parts of the world. You can even have harmful bacteria like Salmonella from undercooked chicken living in you. When they're microscopic it's hard to avoid something you can't see. And what those parasites do is they effect your bodies ability to function properly which can bring on illnesses and even acne. They also can go hand in hand with candida so you'll find a lot of people that have them also have candida. That's why one of the first cleanses they tell you to do before you ever try doing a liver flush is a parasite cleanse.

Personally I live out in the country and I eat a lot of meat and we have pets and I know when I was real young that I got into come to find out some bad water and had to take some stuff then for it so all those things are just breeding grounds to pick up things over your lifetime because all it takes is one time. So here the other day I decided after doing a lot of reading on the Parasite forum at curezone.com that I was going to take a 30-day round of a natural herbal parasite cleanse just to be on the safe side. I mean seriously, what have you got to lose? If you don't believe you have parasites take a 30-day round and find out anyway. Everybody should because you really don't want to go all your life with those things in you because they will just get out of hand the longer they stay. The herbal ones are all natural and have no side effects. Also several of the herbs in the one I ordered to try the other day called Humaworm also kills candida.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/30/2009 6:49 pm

Quite a few people have reported that high fat makes their body worse. And any studies I've seen in which a diet was actually tested on people and found to improve a hormone related issue such as PCOS, prostrate and acne, the diet was low fat and low carb. But moderately so. Which is pretty much what works for me.

MemberMember
(@shavingwoes)

Posted : 05/30/2009 8:46 pm

Wow, reading the OP's first post was like a massive deja vu.

PeanutButterHoneySandwich; for your health's sake please look into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

I was on high protein, high fat for a long time; initially it worked great, but with time, digestive problems arose, energy dipped real low and circulation was pretty poor BUT I was clear and was absolutely convinced that sugars of any kind were evil. Even though I felt like garbage and was having diarrhea nearly all the time, I experienced periods of complete clearing so I kept it up. Finally, my HCP got worried when I'd filled out a diet diary and gave me a urine test which showed I was in deep ketosis. She basically brought me back to my senses and pointed me towards the SCD (which I'd dismissed before because it allows sugar). When I stick to it consistently, the results are phenomenal, I feel and look better than ever.

Your story sounds so much like mine, I know the SCD will help you out. Message me for advice/tips/etc. if you like.

I still get occasional problems and slip up every so often (less and less as time goes on) but I've never sunk as low as I was before and the breakouts are relatively mild and short-lived when I do get them.

Best of luck.

MemberMember
(@mike_wf)

Posted : 05/30/2009 10:37 pm

Fat is a GI irritant, so if you're consuming lots of it, you could conceivably be making your digestion worse. Red meat, although pretty hypoallergenic, is also a GI irritant.

Shaving woes' advice about the SCD, I think, is worth a try. Although if you have candida (which I believe you mentioned), the SCD founder recommends staying away from sugar at first.

There is also an ibs diet which I know people say is pretty effective: http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/

There are lots of (what I see as) acne-friendly foods on the allowed list of the diet

MemberMember
(@shavingwoes)

Posted : 05/31/2009 6:09 pm

Fat is a GI irritant, so if you're consuming lots of it, you could conceivably be making your digestion worse. Red meat, although pretty hypoallergenic, is also a GI irritant.

Shaving woes' advice about the SCD, I think, is worth a try. Although if you have candida (which I believe you mentioned), the SCD founder recommends staying away from sugar at first.

There is also an ibs diet which I know people say is pretty effective: http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/

There are lots of (what I see as) acne-friendly foods on the allowed list of the diet

Good point; I had neglected to mention the whole GI irritation issue.

Here's also a few things I've noticed too progressing through the SCD:

-Animal skin (ie skin on chicken, turkey, etc.) is also a GI irritant

-Red meat is more difficult to digest and more irritating than chicken or other white meat; I do well with it though, but try to limit it to once every other day or less

-Lean meat is easiest to digest

-Seeds are probably the absolute worst thing you could ingest if you've got IBS; even when they're ground

-Nuts are iffy; nuts with no skin (blanched almonds, macadamia nuts) are most well-tolerated, if you do consume nuts though I highly recommend you soak them overnight in salt water and dehydrate them (if I don't do this they give me problems, when I do, they're highly beneficial and digestible)

-Un-ripe banana, excess fiber and starches will set you back; make sure your bananas have brown spots on them (liberally covered is ideal), increase your fiber intake gradually and be careful with raw veggies at first, totally avoid all starches in grains, potatoes, etc.

-Fruit can be beneficial, but in limited quantities (at least initially). The absolute best fruit for GI health, IMO, is banana. ALWAYS make sure you've got some ripe ones on hand.

-Dried fruit is a GI irritant; less-so than meat skin or red meat, but an irritant nonetheless. It's best to keep off it at first and when you do introduce it, proceed slowly and monitor your digestion.

-ACV can irritate your stomach further if it's already irritated, if you're doing well though and progressing along, dilute ACV is beneficial.

-SCD yogurt is a digestive miracle worker. If you have access to goat's milk yogurt, I'd go with that over cow's milk. Take the time to make this, it's well worth the effort.

Again, don't be shy about PM'ing me, I'm more than happy to help or give tips and advice.

Best of luck.

MemberMember
(@h20)

Posted : 05/31/2009 11:30 pm

Although bits of your post are abit misguided i definately agree that on this site people always seem to conjure up the fact that they have every possible affliction under the sun. There are many people believing they are lactose intolerant, have celiacs, candida etc etc but when it boils down to it the majority of people have nothing wrong with them except for the fact that they get acne.

In response to diet you can find examples of healthy tribes/commuities all round the world who consume diets which are high fat, low fat, balanced etc but the reason they are healthy is that the breakdown of all those fats/carbs/proteins are all wholefoods rather than refined foods and on top of that they all exercise.

IMO its unneccessary to go to extremes and purely eat high fat out of fear of carbs or vice versa, its highly possible to get clear off a balanced diet.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/21/2013 11:22 pm

I wish I could find a diet that clears my acne

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/22/2013 11:29 am

Im facing the same dilemma and all the different theory's just dont help, with so many different people saying different things its hard to know what approach to take. I know a high fat diet worsens my acne and causes more blackheads but i really dont want to go on an all fruit diet. If the high fat is working for you stick to it but i can imagine it been horrible if your not digesting foods properly and not going to the toilet as often.

Well, everyone should do this, avoid refined carbs (which includes sugar and includes drinks) and eat lots of real, whole nutrient dense foods. Especially plant foods that aren't grains. Especially colorful and/or leafy plant foods. That's basic.

And how does avoiding a high fat diet translate to an all fruit diet? It's extreme thinking like this that makes it so hard for people.

MemberMember
(@uncle-buck)

Posted : 05/27/2013 4:32 am

Regardless of whether or not "high fat" works, you're going to have problems when you introduce a billion new foods at once. Fat is a vastly different energy form to what most people have adapted to.

Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Dairy, Meat, just pick one staple to go with your veggies. Cod Liver Oil and Flaxseed Oil are completely unnecessary on top of that.

MemberMember
(@janetjoseph67)

Posted : 06/01/2013 1:54 am

High-fat and a high-protein diet is the best bet if you want a clear skin. The real villains, when it comes to acne, are foods high in sugar and starch. Also, try avoiding simple carbohydrates completely, but make sure that you do get plenty of vitamins via fruits and vegetables.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/01/2013 2:36 am

Regardless of whether or not "high fat" works, you're going to have problems when you introduce a billion new foods at once. Fat is a vastly different energy form to what most people have adapted to.

Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Dairy, Meat, just pick one staple to go with your veggies. Cod Liver Oil and Flaxseed Oil are completely unnecessary on top of that.

True but one staple can get repetitive I noticed. Whats your opinion on using 2-3 staples (not at the same time but on a day to day basis, i.e. for lunch olive oil on veggies, dinner use beef tallow, breakfast coconut oil etc)?

MemberMember
(@yunchang)

Posted : 06/01/2013 5:27 am

I highly urge people who are confused as to what diet is best to read the book, "The China Study". It is the most comprehensive research available on food and diet. It is a great and fascinating read. There are so many fad diets out there, but if you do your own research, you will find that the consensus is that diets high in veggies first, are best. Best for energy, weight loss, skin, youth, etc. Veggies and then fruits and meats in moderation. Aka a balanced diet. Balance is key. I have tried all the main diets that are popular in culture: keto, paleo, low carb, fruit, detox, vegan, etc. My skin did the best on a balanced diet that leaned towards lots of veggies.

however, please stay away from wheat, breads, sugary drinks, candy, and processed food. Just trust me.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/01/2013 5:36 am

someone said animal skin is GI irritant.

does that goes for fish skin(u know the fatty ones)??

that's suppose to be good fat,isn't it?

i am not sure how high in fat that is though!

I highly urge people who are confused as to what diet is best to read the book, "The China Study". It is the most comprehensive research available on food and diet. It is a great and fascinating read. There are so many fad diets out there, but if you do your own research, you will find that the consensus is that diets high in veggies first, are best. Best for energy, weight loss, skin, youth, etc. Veggies and then fruits and meats in moderation. Aka a balanced diet. Balance is key. I have tried all the main diets that are popular in culture: keto, paleo, low carb, fruit, detox, vegan, etc. My skin did the best on a balanced diet that leaned towards lots of veggies.

however, please stay away from wheat, breads, sugary drinks, candy, and processed food. Just trust me.