Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, I use Revlon Colorstay and LOVE IT.

My routine is as follows:

- Mix some foundation with some moisturizer and apply with a sponge applicator

- Blend with a cotton ball

- Once it sets, apply bits of the Revlon Colorstay Active as a concealer for spots

- Once again, blend

- If this does not satisfy me, I dust on a bit of Revlon pressed powder (and blend)

I hate that psychological feeling of "my face feels dirty" due to my make-up (because the Revlon products stay put wonderfully). Anyway, I came across a post here where layering foundation was mentioned - apply fully, let dry, apply again. I just tried this and I think it will help me cut out my last steps, because the coverage looks pretty good. Does anyone else here do this?

Hey I think I saw that same post and I started layering my foundation too, but I only doing when my face is really bad. I think its good because it keeps your skin the same colour and you wont see any spots from the concealer in case it isnt blended good. If I only have a couple spots to cover I will just use concealer there and not layer the foundation though.

- Once it sets, apply bits of the Revlon Colorstay Active as a concealer for spots

- Once again, blend

- If this does not satisfy me, I dust on a bit of Revlon pressed powder (and blend)

I hate that psychological feeling of "my face feels dirty" due to my make-up (because the Revlon products stay put wonderfully). Anyway, I came across a post here where layering foundation was mentioned - apply fully, let dry, apply again. I just tried this and I think it will help me cut out my last steps, because the coverage looks pretty good. Does anyone else here do this?

I use Revlon Colorstay how is it that you can use a cotton ball to blend, doesn't the cotton get all over your face? Cotton balls only work well for me when i'm using straight up watery liquid like toners, foundation is too thick for them.

This is my layering routine:

-Pour quarter size amount of foundation onto makeup sponge

-Blend onto right cheek first (my worst cheek) using stippling method

-Blend onto left cheek using stippling method

-Blow dry my face for 3 minutes on cool setting

-Go over foundation again using stippling method

-Blow dry my face for 3 minutes

-Touch up any red marks that still show through

-Set foundation with pressed powder

I don't ever let my foundation dry fully before applying another layer, first of all it takes a while for any foundation to FULLY dry, someone here has mentioned that double wear dries after you blend. I highly doubt it FULLY dries. Foundation is difficult to blend when it's completely dry, layering is optimal when foundation is still a bit wet.

- Once again, blend

I use Revlon Colorstay how is it that you can use a cotton ball to blend, doesn't the cotton get all over your face? Cotton balls only work well for me when i'm using straight up watery liquid like toners, foundation is too thick for them.

This is my layering routine:

-Pour quarter size amount of foundation onto makeup sponge

-Blend onto right cheek first (my worst cheek) using stippling method

-Blend onto left cheek using stippling method

-Blow dry my face for 3 minutes on cool setting

-Go over foundation again using stippling method

-Touch up any red marks that still show through

-Set foundation with pressed powder

I don't ever let my foundation dry fully before applying another layer, first of all it takes a while for any foundation to FULLY dry, someone here has mentioned that double wear dries after you blend. I highly doubt it FULLY dries. Foundation is difficult to blend when it's completely dry, layering is optimal when foundation is still a bit wet.

After I apply the first layer (foundation + moisturizer) I leave my face alone for 5 minutes or so. I then go back and use the cotton ball to blend. Excess make-up comes off on the cotton ball so I know that my foundation is in the between zone (not too wet but not too dry). Also, I highly suggest mixing with some moisturizer - the foundation goes on MUCH smoother. As an aside, my moisturizer does not contain SPF (which makes my face red and greasy). Not sure if this will make a difference with the mixing.

I use to layer my foundation. I used colorstay for oily/combo skin. I used one light layer, let it dry completely and then used another and then dusted with loose powder. Honestly, layering always worked and looked better on me than one thick layer and lots of concealer spots.

does anyone use smashbox primer? i hear it will "fill in" any scars and give you a smooth surface for your make up.

and i heard stage make up, its a think make up, layered also works well at covering any scaring or discoloration.

omg, I just wrote this long tutorial on how I do my makeup and it went away! -_-

Here it goes again.....this is about the 5th time I've given my routine. I hope someone can try it and see how it works for them, especially since you can get free samples from EDM (shipping $2.50) :D.

I've found that using too much Colorstay foundation and powder was never a good way to go for me. Layering or not, it ends up looking cakey and eventually melts off as my face inevitably beings to produce oil (even with primer). One touch of the face and I'd see makeup on my finger.

This is my current routine, which, may I add, I receive a lot of compliments on IRL. People tell me I have nice skin and etc. and that was a first for me =]

Okay here it goes:

Routine:

-Moisten a makeup sponge with rosewater or regular water. I have rosewater in a spray bottle and use about 5 pumps. I feel that helps make the Colorstay more "blendable," makes it look dewy and helps prevent a cakey look.

-Use a small amount of the Colorstay on your chin and move out to cover your jawline. Then place a slightly larger amount for one side of your face (cheek area down to jawline and the eye area) starting from below your eye down and across the whole cheek area to your ear and jawline. Then, dab whatever is less on the eye. I can't stand heavy makeup on my eyes :ermm:. Do the same with the other side, obviously. I should note that if you use sponges you'll begin to see that in some places dabbing goes on and looks much better than if you were to wipe it on. I use dabbing where I have redness and other imperfections and I use wiping where I have smooth and drier skin, like my jawline. I dab: on my chin, nose, around the nose, acne, and eyes and where ever else it looks like the makeup isn't "sticking." (sorry if that was confusing, let me know if you need me to clear anything up!) **The main thing with foundation is to keep it light and then layer, I just dab more, on problem areas only!**

-If I need more coverage then I use a concealer. I use a powder concealer by EDM. I should add that if you're not willing to try EDM that this routine is pointless beyond this point lol. Anyway, I use the powder concealer and kind of gently press into the foundation while it's still moist.

-Now let the foundation set and dry up a bit for a couple of minutes.

-Finally, you can apply the powder. EDM sells their powder as a foundation, which I guess means it covers better than a regular powder? In the end, it's still a powder and powders are great for setting foundation, this one just happens to offer great coverage, too. This helps in keeping your makeup light because you won't have to use as much of everything to even out the skin. So, with a flat brush I apply the powder everywhere lightly. I have a very specific manner in how I apply the powder and how much I use. Basically, where you're not oily and your skin is already looking good use just enough to dust the Colorstay. I also like to keep it very light on spots where I become oily, I really feel that laying on a bunch of powder where you're oily only makes things worse. If you can still see imperfections you can go back with concealer and/or layer on the EDM powder foundation. This probably sounds way more complicated then it is, it's all just habit for me now.

-Once I have the powder down, I go back with my brush and blend, blend, blend. I like to think I'm marrying the liquid and powder foundation so that they adhere together and last longer. I notice that when my face feels dry (not as in dehydrated but more like when you dry your face after washing) that it ends up looking better longer. I've gone well over 12 hours with this still looking good, I do have to blot for oily once or twice but that's not a big deal for me. The makeup still looks great

Things to walk away remembering:

-Keep everything light. If there are spots or areas you want more coverage on then focus on them alone. There's no need to go heavy everywhere!

-A moist sponge will help you move around the Colorstay and keeps it looking light and natural while offering the same coverage.

-Blend the powder and foundation together at the end.

I really hope someone else tries and likes this as much as I do!

Edited by NessaVéneanár

i actually use sheercover and find it covers my severe imperfections the best.

i use a brush to apply concealer, i love my brush technique.

I am an ex mortician and am grateful to have experience in covering marks and performing miracles. But I tell you it is 100 times harder on live, warm skin that sweats and looks oily.

There was a time i could leave the house without makeup and look good, now i rely on makeup to look half way decent.

i will look into this revlon colorstay, i have only heard good things about it but is it c/genic?