Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have not so good health insurance. My mom won't take me to see a dermatologist, just our family doctor. The doctor said that since my acne isn't super bad, the most she can prescribe me is doxycyclin. What results should I expect?

I have not so good health insurance. My mom won't take me to see a dermatologist, just our family doctor. The doctor said that since my acne isn't super bad, the most she can prescribe me is doxycyclin. What results should I expect?

Just doxy alone; I'd recommend adding in a benzoyl peroxide cleanser or doing the regimen in conjunction with the doxy.

Not only will that help improve your chances of clearing but studies have shown that using benzoyl peroxide WITH an oral or topical antibiotic will stop the development of resistant bacteria.

Also consider taking probiotics in between your doses. If you take doxy in the morning, eat a yogurt with live active cultures at night. If you take doxy night and morning, eat yogurt with live active cultures in the middle of the day. Or take a lactobacillus supplement; most require refrigeration and can significantly reduce GI symptoms and development of antibiotic associated colitis if you take them WHILE on antibiotics and for at least two weeks after you finish the antibiotics.

Doxycyline has been working extremely well for me. I haven't had a huge breakout of inflamed acne since I started it (which I think was about 2 weeks ago)

Like Wynne said, it would be a good idea to add some Benozyl Peroxide into your regimen. Whether the BP is in your facial cleanser, or you use it as a treatment like in the acne.org regimen.

Just doxy alone; I'd recommend adding in a benzoyl peroxide cleanser or doing the regimen in conjunction with the doxy.

Not only will that help improve your chances of clearing but studies have shown that using benzoyl peroxide WITH an oral or topical antibiotic will stop the development of resistant bacteria.

Also consider taking probiotics in between your doses. If you take doxy in the morning, eat a yogurt with live active cultures at night. If you take doxy night and morning, eat yogurt with live active cultures in the middle of the day. Or take a lactobacillus supplement; most require refrigeration and can significantly reduce GI symptoms and development of antibiotic associated colitis if you take them WHILE on antibiotics and for at least two weeks after you finish the antibiotics.

I thought consuming dairy products increased the chances of acne. What brand of yogurt do you recommend?

...I thought consuming dairy products increased the chances of acne. What brand of yogurt do you recommend?

Yogurt's not akin to dairy's effect if it has live, active cultures in it. Any brand with low/no sugar and live, active cultures is fine. A lactobacillus supplement is even better.

Whenever I read other people's messages and it talks about doxycycline, they always have a retinoid to go with the doxy, like epiduo or retin a. I was just prescribed doxycyclin. Should I have been prescribed something like retin a? How much of an effect should I see from just doxycyclin?

Wynne has already given good information about antibiotics. I agree with taking yogurt. I am just now going off of Doxy after a year and a half of being on it, and yogurt is the way to go!

When I first went on Doxy, I was also prescribed Duac (5% BP and 1% Clindamycin), and not until almost a year later did I get prescribed Differin .1%, due to my non-inflamed acne.

Depending on your acne type, and I assume you have inflamed, I'd go with a BP product instead of a retinol.