Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
librarirun

Apology to Dan about the Urea Removal and the DK wash!

Hello...

Since I've seen some posts about people wondering if there has been any change to the DK treatment/lotion and the recent news from Dan that there WAS an ingredient change with the DK cleanser - I was curious to know (if possible) what recent ingredient changes have happened (if there is any) to some DK products that we are using.

I noticed a really old post in 2007 that was posted by Dan with ingredient change information - but haven't seen anything recent - especially since they have changed the wash.

Would we be able to know what changes have happened with ingredients in the DK products?

Like - for example - we now know that the DK cleanser has had Diazolidinyl Urea taken out of the wash.

Someone else was complaining about Butylene Glycol and the treatment - was this a recent change as well? Or has it been Butylene Glycol and not Propylene Glycol?

The reason I ask is because I am trying to get a handle on what is causing the allergic reaction to some of the great DK products I have been using - and I can't understand why something that I have been using for over a year - would suddenly stop working.

Thank you.

I hope someone can add to this - since there are lots of recent posts wondering if the BP has changed - and I know the wash has changed - some people are thinking the BP is making them break out because of the Butylene Glycol from Propylene Glycol switch - but that was at least a year ago????

Anyone??? DK Wash changes? DK lotion changes? Ingredients?

I'm bummed because I wish I could still use the DK wash!!! I loved using it! I almost thought about just pushing through the cystic acne to keep on using it - but I've got 3 scars to deal with right now.... just from 2 days of use. I've had no new ones though - since I stopped the DK wash use.

What's going on with the ingredients??? :)

Hi Katmae,

I switched from propylene glycol to butylene glycol in the wash and took out the urea. These changes compromise a very small fraction of the formula (less than 1%). While the wash has always been super gentle, the changes would, if anything, make it even slightly gentler for a very small percentage of people. Also, keep in mind that the cleanser is a wash off product, which makes it far less likely to affect your skin than a leave on product can.

Regardless, I will try my best to post changes to the products in the future. I will likely keep changing things here and there. I am always learning about the very latest ingredients and speaking with the country's leading formulating chemists to get an idea of how we can make acne.org products the best for everyone--properly preserved and gentle. Any changes that I make are carefully thought out and administered. Never are the changes for cost reasons. They are always for gentleness of the formula, care for our environment, and taking into consideration all of our long term health.

As a general note as well, when trying to explain a recent breakout, it is best to take under consideration the entire previous two weeks at a minimum. Acne can take weeks or even months to form, so there is unfortunately no way to reliably conclude that a breakout is caused by something you tried the day or two before. There are so many variables involved with acne, that it behooves all of us to think about all possible explanations. Our best bet is to check out http://www.acne.org/regimenadvice.php and also http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html and carefully consider the events of the previous weeks. Kenmae, I welcome you to volunteer to look at those pages and post about what you've read there. Perhaps our dialog can help others to learn to take all variables under consideration. Just be open minded when reading the pages. There is no reason we can't get you completely cleared up with only acne.org products.

Dan

Dan,

Thank you so much for your products and for being around to answer questions like this! I really appreciate that you took the time to come on here and respond to my post!

I have been using the DK lotion/treatment and the wash for a year - it will be a year this July. I used to use Proactiv for 5 years - and that stopped working for me - which is when I switched to the DK regimen. I was totally clear on DKR products until the end of March 2009 - and I have been racking my brain for the past 2 months trying to figure out what went wrong. I took myself off just the washfor a month - to try and clear up my face (still using the DK BP) and it slowly cleared up. I decided I wanted to see if I could go back to the DK wash that I had been on for a year and was fine - but within 2 days I got horrible cystic bumps. Forehead and chin. To the point where you'd think I'd hit my head. The next day I stopped the wash (out of fear of more bumps/acne) and immediately the bumps started to go down. One erupted, the other went away like it was a bruise. The wash I am using now - hasn't done that.

I am actually really bummed because I love the DK wash; I should also add that I am a hardcore runner - so I do end up washing my face more than just once in the AM and the PM. I definitely have to wash after I run - and using the DK cleanser with the urea never gave me a problem - even washing my face alot. I mean a lot - I run twice a day. That is why I loved it. It was gentle enough to handle marathon running :)

I totally agree with you about being able to clear up one's skin with just DKR products. It's possible - I have done that. But suddenly - it's not working anymore. I am tempted to try the DK cleanser again - but am afraid that my face is not going to be able to handle it :(

I did buy the Gentle Cetaphil cleanser - I am going to see if I can handle that and the DK lotion - and get back to where I was before.

I think your products are great and I really appreciate everything you do for us. Thank you.

Katrina

Hey Dan (and all) - I haven't been back on this post for awhile (but totally love the site) and I wanted to come back and apologize to Dan because - when I'm wrong - I like to admit I'm wrong :)

I ended up going back over all the Regimen instructions - and I realized that I was NOT allowing my skin to dry in between washing with the DK cleanser - and applying BP. This has made a HUGE difference in my skin - and I am very glad (and proud) to say that I am back on all Daniel Kern products. The removal of the Urea was not what was bothering my skin.

Actually, after looking back - I had realized that I had a lot of "sun damage" that I think - after 3 months of slowly getting out of the sun (live in Arizona) - It took that long for my skin to get back to "normal." I stumbled on the "Sun and Acne" daily video - and it was like a light bulb going off inside my head :)

I wanted to make sure that I came back on here to apologize and let everyone know that all the Daniel Kern products rock :) And to be patient - give them time - and be gentle. I think that's my daily mantra :)

Thank you, Dan!

For whatever reasons, those waiting times are pretty crucial to the success of the Regimen. I'm glad you were able to figure it out, and come here to let us know. Posts like these are very helpful, especially to those who may be experiencing similar problems.

:)

Thanks Brandy and C'est la vigne! I'm thinking that it was either the not waiting to let my skin dry - and the major tanning I was doing....I should have known!

You guys are great!

Thanks Katmae. Now if only our politicians could take your lead and admit when they've been wrong ;)