Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pjcat77

Mites and Rosacea?

Do you think your rosacea has been caused by mites? What are your symptoms? I have had large pores, reddess, blotchiness, some acne for years and have tried everything! Never thought of the idea of mites! Yikes!

What treatments have you used for mites? I heard tea tree oil is good? Can you try treatments without actually knowing if you have the mites?

HELP!!

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Acne-rosa...dex-t75098.html

Listen to the advice I gave you in the other thread

Try the 2 products out

These are the best products available for mites/rosacea (tea tree oil is bad for your skin in time)

Many rosacea people have had great success with it on the rosacea forum/people I have spoken too.

Just give it a little time

Do you think your rosacea has been caused by mites? What are your symptoms? I have had large pores, reddess, blotchiness, some acne for years and have tried everything! Never thought of the idea of mites! Yikes!

What treatments have you used for mites? I heard tea tree oil is good? Can you try treatments without actually knowing if you have the mites?

HELP!!

I do firmly believe type 2, papulopustular rosacea, is caused by hair follicle mites. I do not know about type 1 rosacea. I only had type 2. It would not surprise me if type 1 turns out to be a whole separate disease from type 2 once they realize what causes rosacea.

Symptoms of mites: dry skin (not oily), itchy domed-shaped papules small or large that can be mistaken for acne, red skin particularly a patch on left and right inner cheek area near nose. If papules are intense may be accompanied by blotchy red skin that burns like sunburnt skin. Symptoms can go into remission for a few days and then reappear suddenly. You may think food triggers the event but you will go insane trying to isolate the trigger as it will not be consistent. Victims tend to be adults who previously had normal skin. The mites prefer skin that is hair-free but they do like eyebrows and eyelash skin. In men they will avoid fast-growing stuble skin. Can infest the eye area causing red and inflamed eyes. Can make skin look like it has a tiny scaly orange-peel effect on it that feels rough to the touch.

What is not mites: Comedones (blackheads/whiteheads) is acne-related not mites. Oily skin (excess sebum) is acne related except when it is an oily nose (even norms have oily noses).

If you have a mite infestation I would ask a doctor for permethrin and try that first. It is fast acting and is safe to use on a daily basis. Just be prepared for an intense hypersensitivity reaction that happens after about 1-2 weeks as the adult mites die and don't stop the treatment until you have used it everyday for 4 weeks. If you don't get the reaction or you don't get clearer within days of first using it I would take that as a hint that you may not have a mite infestation. There are many other medical treatments to try if permethrin is not satisfactory.

Tea tree oil smells horrible and at 100% strength it is very strong. It will sting on contact and make the skin red. At a lower strength it may work to some degree but there are many medically tested treatments for mites so I would try them first. Basically anything that treats scabies mite will have some effect on the hair follicle mite.

I think the chinese sulphur cream that is spammed on many skin boards is a waste of time and money. It requires a long treatment time to get any kind of improvement with it, which just proves it has a low efficacy against the mites.

The way to avoid reinfestation I believe is to wash with ordinary soap and water. Avoid soap-free cleansers, water alone or moisturizers as the mites thrive in the sebum-rich environment these cleansing methods create. Soap strips the sebum from the skin and will keep the mites under control. Once you get infested it is very difficult to get them back under control.

Wistar: FANTASTIC post! Your description of Type 2 rosacea is spot on.

For others interested in this topic, I have posted the following link. Scroll to the bottom of the article to find related links. The comments section is interesting too. There is a ton of information here.

http://rosacea-support.org/just-how-do-you...odex-mites.html

The sulfur wipes I list in my routine below are the best thing I have ever used for keeping my skin clear. They are only available via prescription.