Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey Ppl,

Just about boarding the B5/Pantothemic acid bandwagon.I plan to update my condition on a regular basis.OK...lemme give you my background.(for those not interested,can jump ahead and read the real reason for my post--specific to this section)

-I am an Indian...33yrs young.

-Among Indians--not very common...in fact,i have never met an adult with an acne problem.But,i am sure there are some cases.Have come across acne in teenagers.Have been inflicted with acne for about 16-18 years now.

-Initially,it was mild--spot treatment would do.But last 5-6 years,the problem has worsened.(I came to US of A nine years ago..dont know if it is relevant)

-I am a vegetarian (no eggs or fish either).Turned a veggie three years ago.Before that,i used to eat plenty of chicken,eggs and lamb.Gave it up for spiritual reasons.No,giving up non-veg food did not reduce my acne.

-I drink plenty of water(around 2.5/3 liters daily).Fortunately,i do not smoke or consume alcohol.My only weakness is one cup of coffee (milk with instant coffee powder,no sugar).

-I gave up eating anything sweet around three years back.I dont even consume any fruits.Personal reason--dont want to delve into it.Oh, but when i used to have sweets/fruits--i was a fruit junkie.Ate all the different available fruits--bananas,almost every day.

-Eat bran cereals regularly...with about half cup of milk.Eat greens,legumes,wheat rotis/tortillas.

-Bowels--all clear.Never had a problem in my life.Regular and timely--touchwood!Hence,i find the theory of toxins in my body not getting excreted a little hard to believe.But again,the fats/lipids not getting metabolized may be considered as toxins--who knows?

-My skin is 'oily-type'.Nose tip,forehead,cheeks can get very oily--in fact,if i wipe it with a paper towel,i can actually see the oil absorbed/blotched by the towel.

-I have tried Dan's regimen,oral pills (doxy etc 'cylins), differin, tazorac, clindamycin etc creams.Even tried Aczone...but did not find it very effective.Tried the ACV drink option and even the face dip regimen(suggested by majoomba on this site).Desperation can make you do funny things.Now when i look back,i am amazed at my own vulnerable disposition.(Dont think i am any better now.....see,popping B5's like crazy now may seem foolish in retrospection later).Such is life!:-)

-What seems to be stopping the new eruptions on their path is AHA(Dan's).It seems to bring them to a whitehead quickly and heal them too.But new break outs still occur.At the moment,i have around 10 bumps--between moderate and severe.Almost cystic,i would say.Ohh yes,i do get lip acne once every ten days.They love me you see!!:-)

-Off late,my skin has become extremely flaky.As though,i didn't have enough on my plate.

-Goes without saying--this problem has created a havoc in my social life.For sometime now,my interacting with friends and acquaintances is a function of how my face looks like at that moment.I see myself hurrying through the conversations.I dont seem to look them in their eye when i am talking to them..very self-conscious.Tend to fiddle a lot:-)).But heyy...i hate self-pity.This is just a cold analysis---i am going to beat my problem...with or w/o acne.What say?:-))

That ends my background info.Sorry,if i have bored you.But,i realized that it can be a good -self-introspective exercise to put your thoughts on paper.

Having read in detail all the research on B5,CoE A et all--i am willing to give this a shot.I am an engineer--hold a masters actually.I love research..and the logical way of explaining things.I have fallen for the Vit B5/Pantothemic Acid theory completely.Have gone through the forums in detail.And i am in one of those "i guess this is it" bubble at the moment.Bought the 300 caps from "vitaminshoppe" ($21.99) and 100 caps of Vit B-Complex.

Popped in three last night post-dinner and two today morning post-breakfast.Too early to comment on how i feel.No issues with my tummy yet.Have a bit of a heavy head--its mostly the sinuses...dont think its anything to do with the B5's.

I am planning to have 4grms/daily for a few days and see how it goes and will gradually ramp up the dose.I am not sure if i want to go for the 10grams/day ever--but will cross the bridge when i come to it.

I will try this treatment for atleast six months and see how it goes.Shall update my progress or lack of it:-) here.

Wish me luck,people....i am on board the B5 ship going to toward 'no-acne land'.:-))

Good luck to ya'all. Wishes, questions, tips and suggestions are all welcome.

Until later...ciao

~kc

OK....herez a quick update.

POST DAY 1 OF VITB5

-Took 5grams of B5 yesterday.

-Water intake around 2.5-3 liters.Usually,i pee a lot(of course:)),but yesterday seemed a lot more.Also the color is yellowish as opposed to colorless before starting this regimen.Yes,feeling a bit gassy...farting was one of the initial side effects, and i can see that happening.No loosies yet.

-Face seems less oily for sure.But will wait for a couple of more days to be certain of the change.

-Three new bumps beside the nose cleft--below the eye.Now this did surprise me.(Initial break-out?...can't say)

-The others remain as they are---maybe drying up slowly.

-Face exceptionally dry....just like before.

-Spot treating AHA on the bumps.

-Ate red kidney beans/rajma for dinner the day before and for lunch yesterday.Could this be the cause?I'll keep a watch-out for this next time i eat red kidney beans/rajma.

-Ate veggie bowl at Chipotle last night.Light on cheese and sour cream.

OK ppl....lets see how it goes today.

have a fun w/end ppl.And keep the spirits up.....keep fighting.No self-pity,no depression.Acne will not take control of my life.That's the mantra!!!

ciao

~kc

Let me stop you dead on your Tracks....

STOP TAKING VITAMIN b5 BELIEVE ME!

IF YOU MUST TAKE IT LIKE I DID Don't take more than 1gram a day...

SERIOUSLY

Let me stop you dead on your Tracks....

STOP TAKING VITAMIN b5 BELIEVE ME!

IF YOU MUST TAKE IT LIKE I DID Don't take more than 1gram a day...

SERIOUSLY

Hi Sowet,

Thanks for your input.May i ask exactly for how long you were on the B5 treatment and what made you stop the treatment?How much dosage were you taking?

ciao

~kc

Hi ppl,

Herez my update.

POST DAY 2 OF VITB5

Feeling a lot better today morning.

-Took my dose of 5grams of B5.Also,took one B-Complex to balance the heavy dosing of pantothenic acid.

-Skin obviously less oily.No fresh break-outs.

-Pee still quite yellowish....and of course due the extra water intake,trips to pee on the rise.

-No loosies (motion)...even the gassy feeling is less as of today morning.

-The whole of yesterday i was feeling the pain in the bumps esp when i smile or frown..basically every time i contort my face.Today,the bumps have considerably dried up...hence,dont even feel them.

-The one beside the nose cleft has come up a bit...but i am confident that AHA will take care of it.

-Face is flaky as usual.Applied a mix of jojoba oil and Dan's moisturizer lightly...just a few dabs on the flakes.And spot treated the bumps with AHA

-Ate potato curry with rotis/wheat tortillas for lunch;same as lunch with lentils for dinner;as an evening snack had a slice of bread with coffee,tamarind and yogurt rice.

I dont want to read too much into this.While i like the development,am still keeping my fingers crossed.Plan to continue with 5grams for the next few days and observe closely.I am not so much for mega dosing...but if the need arises,i am not averse to it.

I appreciate the comment by Sowet and i will keep his feedback in my mind all the time.I dont plan to continue with this dose forever.I plan to reduce it with time surely....yeah,maybe go down to as much as 1gr/day as suggested.Thanks!

Thats it from my end.Nadal finally lost at the French Open.While i am a wee bit sad to see him go,i am happy to see Federer's chances improve now.Though i'd have preferred for a Fed-Nadal final....and Fed beating him":-)))

take care ppl......and good luck!

ciao

~kc

POST DAY 3 OF VITB5

-Continued my dose of 5grams of B5.

-Face definitely less oily as mentioned in the previous days.

-Three new breakouts,unfortunately.One below and one above the lips, and one on the nose.I can feel a slight tingle up on my forehead...but i'd wait and watch if it is really something.

-Fortunately,the fresh breakout does not seems cystic.In fact,one of them is already a white head--thanks to my spot treating it with AHA.

-Flakiness continues though.Need to do something about it.

-The rest of the bumps are drying up further.Waiting for them to completely go away.

-Had mix veggie curry,lentil soup with rotis/wheat tortillas for lunch with a huge sip of butter milk.

-Had a slice of bread and coffee as an evening snack.Dinner was same as lunch and ended with a glass of butter milk.

One thing that i have noticed after starting my B5 regimen...is that my weight is dropping by a couple of pounds through the day.Meaning,if it is 164lb in the morning--it fluctuates between 161-162 at noon.I seem to gain that by next morning though.But i will keep a close watch on it.Is the B5 actually breaking down the fats:-)??Wow!

No other side effects.

Plan to continue with 5grams for a little more while and see how it goes.

Alrighty....you'll have a good one.

Federer managed to win in five sets...not very convincing.But i'd take it anyway:-)

ciao

~kc

POST DAY 4 OF VITB5

-Feeling quite good.No fresh breakouts.

-Face is definitely less oily.I know that i am repeating this statement in each of my post.Just want to stress out the fact that this is a big positive.My face was an oilfield before...now i hardly wipe my face once or twice through the day.Except for the nose tip,which gets shiny sometimes,the rest of the face is quite dry.

-Flakiness continues.

STATUS

-The one on the forehead i had mentioned yesterday has come up a bit--but so far looks harmless.I am spot treating it with Dan's AHA though.

-The others (8-10) are drying up quickly.They were quite bumped up...so its taking a while to flatten'em up,i imagine.The one beside the nose cleft...there were 2-3 which came up as soon as i started the B5 regimen.One of them has a potential to explode..but the others seem under control.Lets see.

-Yesterday's breakout (on nose and lips)--the one on nose seems to be drying up.The lips ones--cant even feel them.They are as good as gone.

What i ate:

-Rotis/wheat tortillas, lentils,mixed veggie curry and a cucumber (eat one cucumber a day atleast...keeps my body cool) for lunch; and rotis/wheat tortillas,rice with ghee(clarified butter),lentils with green veggie in it and curd rice.(over ate a little:-)) for dinner.

Addition to that--have my bran cereals everyday along with a slice of bread and coffee.

So far so good,ppl.I am feeling quite happy today.Good luck to y'all!

Okeydokey....time to watch French Open now.What an amazing tournament it is turning out to be this time.Go Fed go....

ciao

~kc

ps: am writing my status and diet in bold as i am also trying to correlate what i eat and the breakouts.Sorry,if its distracting.

Bad news: four new ones popping up:-(

Good news:only one SEEMS to be cystic:-)

POST DAY 5 OF VITB5

STATUS

-The old ones as mentioned are drying up quickly. The one(among the three) beside the nose appears to be cystic...but it seems to be peaking toward a whitehead.

-Four new ones--one on nose--left side; three on left cheek.One of them seems potent enough to bloom up(spotted it last evening itself)...the rest,hopefully would disappear with generous amounts of AHA.

WHAT I ATE

-Coffee,Bran cereals for breakfast and a slice of bread n coffee as an evening snack.

-Rice with ghee(clarified butter),rotis/wheat tortillas,lentils with green veggie and a cucumber for lunch.

-Rotis/wheat tortillas,cabbage (lettuce) curry with green peas and a salad comprising of cucumbers and carrots.

Observation

-Is rice n ghee(clarified butter) causing any flare-up?The potent one on cheek was spotted last evening...even before i had dinner.Therefore,cabbage (lettuce) curry is rules out.

Will be back to my regular diet...no rice for sometime.Am also thinking of ramping up my dose by a gram or so...maybe have 7 grams instead of 5...still thinking:-)

Also,washed my face with a salicylic acid face scrub today morning.Also,thinking of attacking the new ones with Dan's BP...spot treat them basically.Not sure if i wanna try too many things.Lets see.Will update in my next post.

until later

ciao

~kc

Good luck,Demaguil.Be positive and stick to it.Do key in your progress.Curious to know how you feel in the initial days.

OK...for my daily progress.Sorry,i am late.But better late than never,rite?

Increased my dosage to 5.5grams.Feeling really good and motivated.No new ones...that calls for big cheers...huh?:-)

Didn't feel too good after the salicylic face wash yesterday morning...face kinda stretched.Spot treated a couple of spots with Dan's BP for 3-4 hours in the evening (between my face wash in the evening and night)

POST DAY 6 OF VITB5

STATUS

-All the old ones (except the one that was cystic and peaking toward a whitehead) are flattened and dried out.They are almost gone.Can hardly feel them. The cystic one remains the same...approaching white head,but absolutely no pain.My hunch is that it is on its way out now.

-Among the new ones that appeared yesterday(4),the potent one,unfortunately,is dime sized now, accompanied with a constant throb every time i move my facial muscles.One more on the cheek is kinda slow as of now...cant say if it'll go away or stay.The remaining two are hardly visible..so thats good news.

WHAT I ATE

-Rotis/wheat tortillas,cabbage (lettuce) curry with green peas and a salad comprising of cucumbers and carrots for lunch.

-Peas,potato,tomatoes curry and rotis/wheat tortillas for dinner.

-Coffee,bran cereals for breakfast and coffee,slice of bread,rava dosas(south Indian delicacy)/rice,grains pancake as an evening snack.

OBSERVATION

My observation is that B5 does not necessarily cure the acne lesions.It will keep your face from getting oily...thats all.Once your face does not have too much oil,the probability of any bacteria homing in any of your pores is minimal.

My face,other than a couple of spots is smack clean.Can't say enough about the lack of oiliness.I hardly wipe my face now.Confidence on the rise.!!!:-))

Alrighty folks....may the force be with you:-)

ciao

~kc

Cool topic. I'm also planning on going to B5.

I read a lot about it the other day. I think those pimples are just your old ones that are pushed through. So you definitely shouldn't quit yet.

Why are you taking so low dosages? I'd go to 10 grams a day and start going lower from there. A few weeks should do no harm. I remember from the studies that the reason why it didn't work for the people was because they didn't take enough B5...

How are you taking them by the way? Between meals or with medals?

Keep us posted and good luck!

I just wanna say to anyone who's taking b5 or considering it i would really advise against it

I was taking it for 2 years solid,the first year i was breaking out cos i was only taking a low dose so the second year i decided to be brave enuff and up my dose to 20ish a day and i stuck that out for a year solid even though my spots had gone i still carried on with 20 or so a day and yea that is stupid i know but we never realise these things until its too late.

I just wanted my spots to go,i always dreamt of clear skin and we all know we'd do anything to have beautiful clear skin.I had tried no end of face washers,toners,creams,gels etc but nothing ever worked and id always said to myself id never resort to pills but i did and i turned to b5,not knowin what they was at the time but i just took em anyway cos id been hearing good reviews about em

Im really regretting it now tho cos it has gave me some really bad side effects..... my hair keeps constantly falling out and snapping,my skin is bone dry and keeps constantly flaking,i have very dry eyes most days and i do feel quite tired and lazy all the time,whether all these things are down to megadosin b5 i dont know but im guessing they are as i never had any of these problems before i started taking huge amounts.

Also i suffer from hot flushes if thats what they are called and it makes my face go bright red.I never ever used to suffer from anything like this before but im quite sure its down to b5 medadosing as ive also heard from other people who has suffered this side effect too while taking them.

I have been off b5 for over 3 months and i still suffer from these side effects.My hair is still falling out and it has gone very thin too and dry and also i have enourmously flakey skin.Im never taking b5 again,im just gona let me body adjust back to itself thats if it ever will.Some days it gets me really down that i just sit crying because my hair used to be so healthy and full and now its just looking so dead and dry.

If you are taking or considering to take b5 then i wouldnt advise megadosing but if you do then id keep it to a minimum or stop as soon as they have gone,thats what i should of done but i didnt.Below i have listed the good and bad points of b5 but that is only what i am suffering,whether it would be the same for you i dont know cos everybody is different

Im not trying to put anybody off,i just dont want you to suffer like i have cos you will really regret it.I just wish some1 had told me this before i started taking them.

The only thing i can do now is to keep eating all my vitamins and minerals but i will only do that in food form i'll never be taking anymore pills agen.

I flushed the last of my pills down the toilet and it felt so good

B5 good points:

.clear skin

.less oily

.smaller pores

B5 bad points:

.Dry/flakey skin

.Dry lips

.Thinning of hair by falling out and snapping

.dry eyes

.Hot flushes

.Illucinations when i wake up in the night (whether this is due to b5 i dont know but i really hope its just tiredness)

I just wish i could turn back time :(

Goodluck to you all if you are or are considering taking b5

hey good luck on your regimen. I cant imagen taking b5 as long as some of these people on here. Two years could cause some damage! I took my 20 pills a day for a little over three months then weened myself off of it. I am aslo on a salysilic acid kit that seems to help. I had no side effects other than i pooped alot. Three months should probably be the max you should take it. kinda like an accutane treatment. My face is not as oily and overall looks better. you should still contiue to have a regimen during and once you get off b5 tho. good luck :)

Firstly,apologies(to whoever is following) for the extended absence.Have been extremely busy and also my B5 regimen suffered a bit due to ill-health.

Secondly--there was a swollen lump on my head about a week back...when i was in the middle of my B5 regimen.Yes--i was a bit mystified and anxious--didnt want to jump to conclusions and blame the intake of B5 for the lump.And rightly so--the doc said that it was a swollen lymph node...and most likely it was cystic acne on my cheek,i thought.

Any case,a course of antibiotics(which i am still taking) has solved the issue--no lump,no pain.

But in the process,my B5 regimen suffered.To top it off--my wifey has been vociferous against the over-dosing of B5.Therefore,everything suffered.

Now,i am taking in about 2-3gms of B5 everyday.Plus the course of antibiotics gets over by this weekend.My skin has never been so nice....absolutely no oiliness.Also,i am applying just the 10% Clearasil BP on the acne lesions.

I can only update when i finish the course of antibiotics...because part of me believes that the beautiful result may be because of the antibiotics.So,just about waiting for it to finish.

But yes--B5 will be reduced to max of 3gr every day---have promised my wife.Moreover,my face is pretty clean(no oil) with just 2-3gr also...so lets see.

Pam--i am very sorry to hear your condition.And cannot thank you enough for the detailed post.God bless you.Do not worry--i am sure everything will come back to normal.Eat well and be positive.Nothing like a good positive outlook.....i'll pray for you.

Eyeslikemine: thanks for sharing your experience.Thats more like it....stop it after a while.But again,cant say if that will work for everybody though.But congrats on your progress--hope it continues to work.

As for me--i plan not to dose myself more than 3gr every day(yeah...i love my wife too much...cant lie and cant make her unhappy):-).....will let ya all know how it goes.I am quite optimistic...that even 3gr should suffice.

Wish me luc,guys......and take care all of you.

ciao

~kc

hey b5acneout..its been a week since i take my b5 and i have great results,i take 3 grams daily and i have dry skin now. less oily...

Awesome,maan!!

That is great news,demaguil.....yeah,3grams sounds conservative and nice.Look out for any side-effects though.

Yeah...the less-oily complexion is a major plus.I noticed it instantly.

Good luc....and do update regularly...curious to see how your week 2 goes.

Way to go...

ciao

~kc

yeah sure..ill update you in a month..im happy with my skin now,the only side effect is i have very drylips!!!im taking b5 and 50mg zinc before bedtime..

Okeyyy ppl....time to give my update.

I am very satisfied with B5 results.No new breakouts yet....have not been so strict with my diet either....plenty of peanuts,bread n butter...sometimes over eating.But B5 seems to be working for me.So far,that is.

Finished my course of anti-biotics yesterday...so keeping my fingers crossed.

One thing is for sure--B5 reduces the oiliness on the face....i have never had such a positive effect with anything else.I may or may not get fresh breakouts....but i have decided to continue B5 as i dont have to worry about my face splotched with oil.

Btw,i am taking about 3 to 3.5 grams of B5 every day.Started with 5 gr everyday....dropped it to 3/3.5 grams now.Been almost 18 days on it now.

More later...hopefully positive news only.

have a good one....everyone!Good luck!

ciao

~kc

That's good. What brand do you use by the way? I will be ordering some today.

Hi Strato,

I bought mine from "The Vitamin Shoppe"...goes by "Pantothenic Acid.Got the 500mg/300 capsules size.Also,Vitamin B-Complex 50 from the same shop...contains 100 caps.

Hope that helps...and do key in your progress/results.One thing i am very positive about is that it will reduce the oiliness on your face.

Good luck!

~kc

Thanks, will order some right now.

I have maintained a healthy diet for 4 months now. My skin is definitely better and heals very quick, but it still get's oily for some reason and that's the main cause for my acne. Will keep you posted.

Edit: They are selling 1 mg ones too which is pretty cool...

need someone's help-

I sarted Vilatane exactly a month ago. After the second day of the 20 pills dosage, I felt so good. No oil, no new pimples, and very soft skin. I was actually cleared for the first two weeks, except some whiteheads that got inflamed due to scratching it accidently while I was sleeping. But overall, I knew my face was imrpoving. I never had new pimples anymore for 2 weeks. From then , I decided to peel my skin with Salycylic Acid and TCA combined- 2 layers each. Ive done this before so I know how to apply the stuff. After 3 days of flaking tremendously, my skin got worse. Went back to so many acne. Ive been suffering again for 2 weeks now. And im still using vilantae and even up the dosage on the week i broke out to 24 pills 6x4. I do not know what to do. I feel like my face is awful. WIll vilantae ever work for me or is it just the peeling that aggravated my skin to cause this? Cause I was hoping Vilantae would keep me clear even though I do necessary peeling to get rid of pigmentation acne scars.

go to vilantae.com.. its b5 with all the other componnts needed. its all in one bottle rather than mixing other stuff....