Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vinnee

Accutane...here we go.

After spending numerous hours on this forum, reading over 50 accutane logs posted by other users, I will be starting my accutane journey tomorrow. I'd have to admit, even after picking my accutane from the pharmacy last week, I was still contemplating on whether or not I should use this drug. However, after battling with acne for over 15 years, I think I'm officially losing the battle, and now need backup.

A little bit about myself and my skin, I'm a 31 years old and I've been suffering from acne since the age of 15. Over the last five years, it has been minimal, not to the point where I needed accutane. However, just last month, my face and neck has been consistently growing deep, painful, cystic acne. After trying many OTC creams, facewash, doxy, mino, and many regimens, I've decided to go for the "real deal" and hopefully, it will help me overcome this ongoing battle. My face is very oily, which I'm sure contributes significantly to my breakout. I'm very new here and just wanted to get some support from other accutane users. I'll try to post monthly pics along the way.

VINNEE

Welcome to the club! I started accutane 10 days ago and was back and forth about it too, but so far so good. I'm 23 and have had acne since I was 12. My acne is not as bad as many accutane users', but it is very persistant and has been a pain in the ass for a long time. I tried Retin-A, Benzoyl Peroxide, Clyndamiacin (or however you spell that one), doxycyclin, tetracyclin, over the counters, birth control, everything. My mom works for a dermatologist and she has heard the inside scoop on many many accutane users and encouraged me to go see her boss. He tried another round of antibiotics before putting me on accutane (actually I'm on one of the other brands, Sotret, but everyone is more familiar with the name accutane so I'll use that).

I'm on my 10th day and so far my only side effects are lip and face dryness and muscle aches. Side effects started around day 5, but I worked out yesterday for the first time while taking accutane and I think it actually helped the muscle aches. I did a very gentle workout- I heard tough ones can make the aches worse, but gentle exercise seemed to losen things up and I felt better this morning than I had the past couple of days.

A few pieces of advice that I got from this forum and am following-

1) make sure people close to you know you're on accutane and can watch out for side effects related to mood- I think they are much more rare than people think, but it's comforting to know that my family and boyfriend know I'm on it.

2) get a gentle chapstick and carry it with you- you'll need it often

3) get a thick, unscented mosturizing cream like cetaphil for the dry spots on your face. If drying gets too bad ask your derm about taking Vitamin E supplements. my derm recommends them often- 400IU twice daily for a daily total of 800IU helps with the dryness and muscle aches. They also make a Vitamin E moisturizing stick you can rub on the dryest spots on your face.

4) take your pill with a fatty meal

5) drink a lot of water throughout the day, but not at the same time as your pill

6) take it easy on anything else that could hurt your liver- it's not recommended that you drink alcohol, and I'm trying to avoid things like tylenol as much as possible as well

7) look at people's before and after photos on this forum- it will encourage and motivate you!

Let us know how it goes. I found that once i took the first pill I felt so empowered and in charge of the situation that I didn't worry as much about the side-effects. Hopefully you'll feel the same way.

:dance:

Day 3

Skin is less oily. Other than that, not much progress yet. Acne is still the same. No dryness yet, just less oil build-up on face.

Day 4

dryness really starting to kick in. got home from work and face was not nearly as oily as pre-accutane. lips are drying up a little more. burt bee's chapstick is helping. acne is still the same.

contact lens are starting to dry up as well.

Be ready for a minor/major breakout. But It seems to me that your acne isn't THAT bad (then again, I'm not seeing you face to face so I don't know) so accutane is going to work like a miracle for you.

For most accutane users with severe acne on the face end up having tons of scars and hyperpigmentation. Fortunately for you, it sounds to me that at most the only scars or hyperpigmentation you'll get is on your neck (so no big deal).

Good luck, and don't forget to down the water ;)

Congratulations on starting your course! Cystic acne is awful, and it's going to be such a relief when it's gone. Don't worry too much about initial breakouts, red marks, or scarring, because you never know what will happen until it happens...just use sunscreen and moisturizer and hope for the best!

I feel ya man. I just started 40 mg Claravis once a day, 6 days ago. I'm 18 and been battling acne really since 13 and 14 and tried pretty much anything. I too was pretty skeptical swollowing the first pill, mainly due to the fact that I'm already a 3 year sufferer of tinnitus. But I mean, I'm having my hearing monitored through the accutane, but this medication was NOT recommended by my ear doctor. But yea, I'm going into my second year of college next semester.... enough if enough. I'm just crossing my fingers I'll be alright. As of now just a little dry skin, and lips. My derm. started me on a low dose(I'm about 190lbs., 6'2) for the first month, so we'll see where it goes. I can kind of feel the IB coming right around the corner, lol....

Good luck man, keep everyone posted.

Day 5

Face is drying up more. Lips not chapped yet, a bit dry but definitely not chapped. No IB yet, but my neck is still growing deep, painful, cystic acne. Don't think it's from the IB because I was breaking there prior to starting accutane. I do enjoy not having to wash my face 6-7 times a day. I'm down to about 3 times a day, once in the morning, afternoon, and when I take a shower in the evening. No joint pain yet, working out 5 days a week, and no back or joint pain.

Day 8

Think I might be getting my IB. Breaking out on my forehead and some on my neck. However, my neck was already bad initially. However, the right side of my neck was clearing up a lot, but woke up this morning with two new active cysts.

Other then my IB, my lips are still the same. Their definitely chapped, but blistex and burt bee's chapstick is really helping. Skin isn't so bad though. I'm applying lots of lotion on in the morning and in the evening. Still on 80mg/day. 40mg in the morning, and 40mg in the evening. Trying to take each pill 12 hours apart.

Day 11

Nothing new. Face is dry. Love not having oily skin in the morning and throughout the day. However, face is getting pretty flaky. Friend saw my flakiness and said I have "face dandruff". LOL! Thought that was pretty funny.

Skin progress...No new actives. Whole face is pretty red though. Cheeks are pretty clear. I have one active cyst on my forehead right above my left eye. Neck is still looking pretty bad. I have a super huge cyst hear my throat area.

hi congratulations on your beginning, you are right around the same time i started i think. :) and also in the 25+ range so its def annoying to be dealing with taking accutane now but hey, better late than never and lets hope for a smooth (no pun intended) journey !! good luck!

Hey vinnee,

Looking at your pictures, I think my acne during its worst period (around 15 months ago) was about the same as yours is now. I had it on my face and my neck as well. Using Retin-A and BP helped considerably around the jawline and neck but not as much elsewhere. Plus, the Retin-A made my neck all red.

Anyways, when I started Accutane on April 1, 2009, I had 0 active acne. Given that you are using Accutane during a more active period, I would imagine that your results will be more noticeable.

Starting with 0 active acne, I had 13 new ones in Month 1, 6 in Month 2, and 2 in 10 days of Month 3. For you, my guess is that you'll start noticing significant improvements around Day 100.

I'm rooting for you, buddy. Stay strong and hopeful because the results will definitely come.

Hi Vinnee, I just wanted to post on your log to wish you lots of postive thoughts for your course.

I'm also an adult acne case, I'm 32, acne at our age brings a different set of problems than in teenage years. I'm now on day 7 of my course so you are about a week ahead of me and you are on a much higher dose than me but then again I'm female and much smaller than you!

Anyhow I will keep up with your log, it's good to kow there is someone else my age walking the same path.

Rosie x

thank you all for your positive words of encouragement. I'm going to need every bit of it to make it through this journey. Sorry for not posting everyday, but there's not much worth updating daily. As of today...

DAY 15

I know my last post mentioned something about me getting my IB, but maybe that wasn't it. It actually wasn't too bad. Everything seems like it's under control. Inflammation is calming down. Or maybe I'm just expecting the worse. Face is pretty flaky, but oil of olay is doing its job. I've been pretty good about applying lotion in the morning before going to work and at night before bed, so skin is holding up ok. Lips are definitely chapped, but Burt Bee's chapstick is helping significantly. Word of advice, DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE WITHOUT YOUR CHAPSTICK.

Good news and bad news...

Good News: not sure if anyone can relate to this but all the little acne bumps on my forehead are almost completely gone. They were never really a problem because there were so small but definitely noticeable when you have about 30 of them. They never turned red, but never "poppable". Well, thanks to the dryness of my skin, I noticed that they're almost all gone.

Bad News: I'm noticing more black head on my nose. I really hope they'll go away because it's getting pretty bad.

Other then that, everything is pretty much the same. My neck is doing better. No new actives, but who knows what might happen when I wake up tomorrow morning. Still lots of red marks from the previous ones.

I'll definitely try to post up new pics sometimes this week, until then take care and GO LAKERS!

Day 46

Amazing results so far. Still on 40mg/pill, twice a day. Skin has cleared up tremendously. Neck acne is almost completely gone. Started accutane with nearly 20 cystic acne on the front side of my neck. Now I'm down to about 3. Reddish/brownish marks are still there but they're definitely fading. Face is no longer oily. I don't have to worry about washing my face at and after work. I never thought I can wash my face with just water. It's hard not to get excited with my results.

Lips are definitely chapped and red. Aquaphor is a lifesaver. Can't leave home without it. Besides that, I don't think I have any major side effects. Still working out 5 times a week, so accutane is definitely not slowing me down in that department.

Vinnee