Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
firefly_gal

help please...

can we actually have the adorable clear skin without retin-a? or is it only retin-a that can make our skin clear? for anyone who has tried bunch of products please share.

so i used to be on retin-a n hydroquinone for 2 years ago, it did clear up my pimples but sooo red and sensitive to sunburn as i live in tropical country. then, i stopped retin-a and got a horrible breakout and then accutane, topical clindamycin and azelaic cleared it up again for about 1 year without retin-a. but after that, my pimples began to appear, starting from some whiteheads, cystic, pustules... and now i'm so confused, is it true that only retin-a will work out??

now i'm on retin-a 0.025%, but in 2 days, my face was so horrible, the initial breakout was much much worse than ever.. it's like i started with mild to moderate acne and in 2 days it's definitely severe now... i am seriously thinking, CAN I GET A LONG TERM CLEAR SKIN WITHOUT RETIN-A OR DIFFERIN?

attachment : good ol'times without retin-a, only antibiotics, sunscreen, lasted about 1-2 year

attachment : still without retin-a. but started to get pimples

this pic: 2 days after retin-a, horrible nightmare... everyone was staring at me like seeing a monster and how i hateeeee their pitying look to me...

post-100145-1243590504_thumb.jpg

post-100145-1243590568_thumb.jpg

post-100145-1243590596_thumb.jpg

post-100145-1243590504_thumb.jpg

post-100145-1243590568_thumb.jpg

post-100145-1243590596_thumb.jpg

I wanted to share my experience with you. I have been suffering from acne since I was 16 years old, at age 19 I went on Roaccutane because of a serious case of cystic acne. That crushed my self esteem and affected me all through life. Still I am reminded of those painful years by the keloids that were left underneath my jawline. I am now 25 and still battling oily skin, but now thank God for just the odd blemishes here and there. I have tried, Proactiv, Differin, Neutrogena acne wash, Spectro etc..all kinds of products that were probably not good for my skin anyways. Recently, fed up with the pricy Proactiv regimen that is not fool proof (in my case);I was on the hunt for an acne product that would be easily accessible and at a reasonable price. Neutrogena's Acne Stress Control purchased at Shopper's Drug Mart for a whopping $10.99 is the product that has worked best for me. My pores are tightened, skin does not feel excessively oily during the day, comedones seem to come to the surface instead of plugging underneath the skin and I have noticed a considerable difference in the smoothness and appearance of my skin since the first 4 applications. Here is my skin regimen:

1. Wash face with St Ives Apricot Scrub exfoliating in a circular motion so as to remove dead skin morning and night. The idea is to remove the dead skin cells that your body is not able to fully exfoliate on it's own, causing acne. Be careful as not to scrub too much around affected areas so as not to irritate it even more. Let it heal first. Neutrogena's Acne Stress Control have soothing ingredients to calm those down.

2. Dry face with a clean towel, and apply Neutrogena's Acne Stress Control.

3. Apply Cetaphil's moisturizing Daily Facial Moisturizer with SPF 15.

Good to go!

Additional comments: Do not rest your face in your hands during the day as they may contain bacteria. Wash pillow cases and towels regularly. Do not 'force' pop your pimples. You can pop the odd ones that are just waiting to gush out by disinfecting a needle and creating a path for the puss and comedone to come out. Do not forget to use a clean tissue to do so. This has to be gentle or you could make things worse and cause scarring. Eat lots of fruits, veggies and drink plenty of water until your urine is always clear. Remember you are what you eat, garbage in, garbage out. I break out when I eat spicy and oily food.

Good luck to you all. God bless.

Word To The Wise

If you want to solve your acne problems don't use over the counter and prescription medications. STAY FAR AWAY from FOODS that have MILK, CHEESE, WHEY, and any other form of DAIRY. So, no cakes (unless vegan) at the birthday party for you! If you dont believe me; stop using products on your face and eliminate all foods from your diet that have dairy in them for thirty days. That means no pancakes, bagel and cream cheese, donuts, boxed cereals made with milk products (basic four, etc), veggie patty from Subways because milk is in that Veggie patty and more.

thanks for replying. so clearness is possible w/o retin-a. i'll definitely won't go through another try on both retin-a and accutane, they don't work permanently on me.

i'll check out Dan's regimen. it doesn't have to go through any worsening of acne right?

thanks for replying. so clearness is possible w/o retin-a. i'll definitely won't go through another try on both retin-a and accutane, they don't work permanently on me.

i'll check out Dan's regimen. it doesn't have to go through any worsening of acne right?

There's no IB with The Regimen like there is with some medications, but some people do purge a bit early on in The Regimen. Your best bet would be to read through the What To Expect section and the FAQs.