Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Black Beaute

My Derm is Lowering My Dose of Bactrim DS....

I finally have my acne under control and my Derm is saying it’s time to wean me off Bactrim DS. I don’t want to flare up again.

Has anyone ever had any problems with this?

I finally have my acne under control and my Derm is saying it’s time to wean me off Bactrim DS. I don’t want to flare up again.

Anyone???

Hi! Not to be discouraging but I was on Bactrim for years (10 or so) and I weaned myself down to taking one pill every other day but every time I tried to completely get off of it, I always started to break out again. It was a gradual increase of pimples but it did come back. However, I have now been off of it for more than a year and I am acne free. I am not sure if it is a coincidence, if it is my new routine, or if the Bactrim somehow "cured" me of my acne.

Sorry I don't have any more promising news!

Hi! Not to be discouraging but I was on Bactrim for years (10 or so) and I weaned myself down to taking one pill every other day but every time I tried to completely get off of it, I always started to break out again. It was a gradual increase of pimples but it did come back. However, I have now been off of it for more than a year and I am acne free. I am not sure if it is a coincidence, if it is my new routine, or if the Bactrim somehow "cured" me of my acne.

Thanks for the reply. Whats your routine now?

10 years on Bactrim? Wow, that seems long. Is Bactrim expensive?

If you start using a topical (or continue the one you're already on if you are) you'll also have less chance of breaking out from weaning off Bactrim. Bactrim does not seem to be as associated with an acne flare/bloom as mino and doxy are, perhaps as Bactrim targets different bacteria.

Start taking lactobacillus! That alone will help your digestive system AND perhaps your skin.

I'm sooo glad your derm is being responsible and encouraging you to wean off Bactrim. It's one of the ONLY drugs that's used in the community for MRSA. Soon bacteria will be resistant to it, too, what with all the overprescribing of it. It should only be used in life-threatening events or as prophylaxis in specific persons (not for acne.)

If you start using a topical (or continue the one you're already on if you are) you'll also have less chance of breaking out from weaning off Bactrim. Bactrim does not seem to be as associated with an acne flare/bloom as mino and doxy are, perhaps as Bactrim targets different bacteria.

Start taking lactobacillus! That alone will help your digestive system AND perhaps your skin.

I'm sooo glad your derm is being responsible and encouraging you to wean off Bactrim. It's one of the ONLY drugs that's used in the community for MRSA. Soon bacteria will be resistant to it, too, what with all the overprescribing of it. It should only be used in life-threatening events or as prophylaxis in specific persons (not for acne.)

Thanks for the response.

I was never on bactrim, but my derm did have me on minocyclin, which is another antibiotic. I hate to say it, but I would break out as the doses decrease. My derm tried to lower my dosage, but my face started to break out, so I ended up going back up to 100 mg/day. The bottom line is that my face has only been clear when I've been on oral antibiotics. Even then, I think I was becoming immune to them because towards the end of my treatment, I was starting to break out again.

I was never on bactrim, but my derm did have me on minocyclin, which is another antibiotic. I hate to say it, but I would break out as the doses decrease. My derm tried to lower my dosage, but my face started to break out, so I ended up going back up to 100 mg/day. The bottom line is that my face has only been clear when I've been on oral antibiotics. Even then, I think I was becoming immune to them because towards the end of my treatment, I was starting to break out again.

That's what I was fearing.

I know, it sucks...I would love to stay on antibiotics forever, but I just don't think it's healthy. So for now, I'm enduring the breakouts. Trying to figure out whatever remedies I can try.

I know, it sucks...I would love to stay on antibiotics forever, but I just don't think it's healthy. So for now, I'm enduring the breakouts. Trying to figure out whatever remedies I can try.

So after he weaned you off what else did he do to cease in your acne breakout?

differin gel...but that stuff is weird. Again, I think I became immune to that too because my face was breaking out still.

My friend works at a dermatologist and she gave me a bunch of samples to use...retin-a, differin, benzaclin. I think benzaclin was actually pretty good. I ran out of it though.

I don't know. It seems that no matter how much I try to "attack" my face, it still breaks out.

differin gel...but that stuff is weird. Again, I think I became immune to that too because my face was breaking out still.

My friend works at a dermatologist and she gave me a bunch of samples to use...retin-a, differin, benzaclin. I think benzaclin was actually pretty good. I ran out of it though.

I don't know. It seems that no matter how much I try to "attack" my face, it still breaks out.

I think I'm starting to become immune as well. My Derm gave me Ziana in addition to the Differin gel.