Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been trying to take a few capsules a day of EPO to try and balance my hormones and act like an androgen blocker. In the past I have had success with the Dianette (birth control pill) with contains an anti-androgen hormone. So i figured I need to try and emulate that using supplements.

But now I have been reading that taking too many Omega-6 oils like EPO in relation to Omega-3 like Fish oil can lead to more acne. So my question is what sort of dosages should I take for both oils in order to see a differnce in my acne? Also how do i take into account that modern diets contain more Omega-6 than 3 when deciding on dosages?

Thanks

If you reduce unnecessary sources of omega-6 in your diet and take 3-4 grams of omega-3s, the EPO shouldn't affect anything unless you're taking massive doses or something.

Extraneous sources of omega-6 include fried foods, packaged snack foods, cooking oil, salad dressings, and others. Replace those fats with animal fats, olive oil, most nuts and seeds, etc.

Great thanks for your reply. I'll take about 4 grams of fish oil a day (4 capsules a day i suppose?) and then just take a couple of EPO. That should be balanced. I'll also research the dietry sources of Omega 6 more and work at cutting them down.

Great thanks for your reply. I'll take about 4 grams of fish oil a day (4 capsules a day i suppose?) and then just take a couple of EPO. That should be balanced. I'll also research the dietry sources of Omega 6 more and work at cutting them down.

Make sure that when you take fish oil, you're looking at the amounts of omega-3s, not the size of the capsule.

The standard in the fish oil business is that a 1 gram fish oil capsule contains 300mg of omega-3s. Make sure you're counting the omega-3s, not the weight of the capsule.

Make sure that when you take fish oil, you're looking at the amounts of omega-3s, not the size of the capsule.

The standard in the fish oil business is that a 1 gram fish oil capsule contains 300mg of omega-3s. Make sure you're counting the omega-3s, not the weight of the capsule.

The question was concerning taking liquid fish oil instead of capsules so that wouldn't really apply here. But the most important thing to look at is the amount of EPA and DHA per serving instead of just the amount of Omega-3's. It might say it has 1,000 mg of Omega-3's in it but have relatively low EPA/DHA vs another brand. Also, I haven't researched into it but I know several over at the body building forum I frequent talked about using a fish oil that's real high in EPA and not as high in DHA. I haven't looked into why yet though.

The question was concerning taking liquid fish oil instead of capsules so that wouldn't really apply here.

What? Liquid fish oil hasn't even been mentioned in this thread. He clearly mentioned taking capsules when he asked his question.

Also, I haven't researched into it but I know several over at the body building forum I frequent talked about using a fish oil that's real high in EPA and not as high in DHA. I haven't looked into why yet though.

I know that there's at least one theory that says that a heightened ratio of EPA to DHA makes fish oil better at treating various conditions, including depression, ADHD, inflammation, and joint problems (bodybuilders might be particularly interested in those last ones).

The question was concerning taking liquid fish oil instead of capsules so that wouldn't really apply here.

What? Liquid fish oil hasn't even been mentioned in this thread. He clearly mentioned taking capsules when he asked his question.

My apologies, I mistook this thread for another one that was posted yesterday as well asking about liquid fish oil. I guess I managed to glance right over the OP mentioning capsules even in the post that I quoted.

Op,

Omega 6 is a topic that is being heavily contested and misunderstood from various avenues. 95% - 99% of Omega 6 is inflammatory = Bad! Those are found in refined foods, flour, saturated fats, vegetable oil etc. This is also why the commercial industry all around us touts Omega 6 as bad based on this percentage fact. Simplication can be necessary in most communications.

However, as with all complex subjects when you examine deeper, there is always a catch. There is that 1% of Omega 6 that is good for you! GLA (Gamma Linoeic Acid) is the only Omega 6 that is anti-inflammatory, as opposed to inflammatory. GLA can only be found in EPO, Borage Oil, and Black Current Oil, and not in any other foods.

I cleared up 100% from regimen of EPO, Borage Oil, and Fish Oil. As for the dosage, do a search under my posts and you will see what I take. Since I discovered this regimen, I rarely come on this board anymore. I was so shocked that a $15 - $40 regimen solved an long standing issue that I had spend thousands and thousands of dollars on conventional treatment, which addresses the symptoms, not the root cause. I still love the great health advice and general food / supp recs. users post here.

I agree with the user above that recommended avoiding all the bad omega 6 items, such as refined foods, hydrogenated oils, diary, etc. If you reduce the amount of clogging allergens your body have to process, it will leave more room for the good stuff to work. I am confident you will see results.

Good luck.