Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thisisnotSL

getting rid of mild(?) acne

this is my first post so bare with me.

ive had clear skin my whole life aside from a few pimples here and there. around july '08 my skin started to break out very regularly to the point where it hasnt been completely clear in almost a year now. it also seems to move every couple of months always staying fairly isolated to whatever area it happens to be. right now its settled on the front of my cheeks closer to the nose and mouth. im 21 but i dont really shave yet. are hormones to blame?

my regimen:

every morning and night

rinse with hot water

exfoliate with baking soda powder

cleanse with neutrogena oil free acne wash

rinse with cold water

tone with apple cider vinegar

liberally apply neutrogena on-the-spot cream to infected area

finish with cetaphil moisturizing lotion

i also take 10mg of generic accutane everyday for the past 4 weeks

this regimen does almost nothing for me!

i need suggestions please!! im desperate!

post-104151-1243377330_thumb.jpg

post-104151-1243377340_thumb.jpg

post-104151-1243377330_thumb.jpg

post-104151-1243377340_thumb.jpg

you are using way too many products like the person above has said. Stop and alter your regime.

Agree with the other two posts. Your acne isn't bad at all, so there is no need to do all that stuff. Just get a basic wash for the morning and night and you'll be fine.

yeh i agree too, way too much stuff! your acne isn't bad, please stop before it may get worse!

the avc is good i'd say try just a gentle 5.5 ph wash and acv. do that for a while and i'm sure your skin will improve

Agreed, using WAY too many products. Just get a gentle cleanser + moisturizer, and THATS IT! Especially since you're accutane, it's doing everything for you!

it does look like your harming your skin more than helping it, i would ether do what the others said or just cut them all out and let your skin recuperate

Baking soda is bad for your skin -- it is highly alkaline. It's good that you use the ACV toner, but it would be better not to use baking soda on your skin in the first place.

also, that Neutrogena cleanser is far too harsh and drying for most people .....

come on people why would you say he is doing too much??!!! I dont think anyone here really knows what they are talking about....

I don't think that you what you're talking about. His regimine hasn't done anything to improve his skin for one year and that says enough. He needs a new regimine, no matter how little/too many products he may be using.

Anyways, onto the poster: I used to use two of the things you do, baking soda and AVC, both did nothing. It wasn't until I started using a BHA/Salicylic acid product that my face started to clear up. It takes a while, as in a few monthes, but you will see improvement. Maybe read up on Salicylic acid on this forum. A gentle cleanser and a topical BHA like Pauala's Choice 2% BHA would be a good starting point. Anyone else from the org agree?

try only washing 1 time a day instead and stop exfoliating, people with acne shouldnt exfoliate at all. As for your cleanser i guess is allright i dont quite know the ingredients, but look into something more gentle like a beauty bar with a low PH level, the one i recommend is called "Nature's Plus Natural Beauty Cleansing Bar" it can be found on vitacost.com for about 2-3 bucks. Toners are not needed especially ACV or one with alcohol. Stop applying neutrogena creams i think they are unneeded, moisturizing is good just make sure there are no drugs, oils, alcohols, acids or lanolin in them, they will dry your skin out and make your skin even more irritated and red. If your regimin hasent worked for a year man its time to move on with something else, the definition of insanity is when you do something over and over and over and expect a different result.

Only suggestion i have is to try to cut dairy out for a little see if it makes a difference.

yea since your on accutane. just wash with something like purpose once or twice a day. If u dont mind me asking what kind of side affects are u getting on accutane cus i may be starting it soon and i have mild acne as well.