Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

I'm having problems with stunted zits when BP is applied.

Usually when I get a big pimple, if I leave it alone it'll eventually grow a white head and I'll be able to pop it and the swelling will go away immediately the next day, leaving no lump in the spot.

Since using acne.org's BP, it has been stunting big zits and keeping it in a permanent phase where it's just about to grow a white head but not yet ripe enough. A lump under the skin will last about 3-4 weeks, which is really unusual for me.

And also at this point I've accumulated about 3-4 lumps under the skin of my face where they are not pimples anymore (no swelling), but just feel... lumpy. Like a big piece of oil deposit is stuck in there for the next 3-4 weeks.

Is anyone else encountering this problem? And how do I fix it?

If it helps, my current regimen is:

cleanser with clarisonic

BP

AHA enhanced lotion + jojoba oil

lol. i just posted this in the regimen forum, no replies too. im having 3 of these lumps as well. weird huh. what im doing now is using 2% salicylic acid [Avene Pimple Remover] and its growing smaller and smaller.

yeap, its the BP thats causing it i guess. weird huh. im waiting for my AHA to arrive and see if spot treating it will help prevent it from growing bigger.

lol. i just posted this in the regimen forum, no replies too. im having 3 of these lumps as well. weird huh. what im doing now is using 2% salicylic acid [Avene Pimple Remover] and its growing smaller and smaller.

yeap, its the BP thats causing it i guess. weird huh. im waiting for my AHA to arrive and see if spot treating it will help prevent it from growing bigger.

So salicylic acid is working out for you?

Are you spot treating it in addition to the BP, or just applying it to your entire face?

I've been using the AHA enhanced lotion, which makes my skin soft but doesn't help with the lumps. I think the AHA only helps with the smaller surface zits from getting bigger. Not as much with the big ones that are deep in your skin.

Any help or insight would be appreciated!

i wouldnt put too much hope in it.

ive had 1 lump for years.. i dunno if it was dans bp or what

but it goes down then up then down then up so if you think its going down, its probably not. i've used aha/bio oil and some other stuff nothin works i gave up what are your guys lumps looking like? mine is like a raised scar or some sort sometimes its really hard and feels raised sometimes its really soft and feels like a normal scar

one of my lumps is disappearing slowly. i put a heck lot of salicylic acid last night and this morning i washed my face with clearasil's face wash. the dead skin falked off the lump and i :)squeezed:) it. as expected, there was a "whitehead" that was blocking my pore. once i managed to removed that, the lump is disppearing.

i still have 2 more lumps though, not yet ready to disappaer i guess.

Exactly the same problem here. My skin is clearing up fairly well but I had this one small white head coming up on my chin. I am using Epiduo so I covered my chin as normal in it and within a few days the whiteness of the spot had gone but the spot itself is still there. I have now stopped using the Epiduo to see if I can force it out but so far it's been over a week and no luck. The one time I actually want to get a sport...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who's having this problem! I feel there should be a warning or a resolution to help treat this problem on the Acne Info page.

I've switched to a salicylic toner during the day in hopes it'll get rid of the lump eventually.

Mine feels like yours does. Like a scar or a huge oil deposit under the skin.

I don't really understand why the BP doesn't dissolve the oil underneath the skin. :(

The same problem - from using regiment 3 under-skin ones appeared - really anoying because it is my 3. week and my skin generaly looking better

2/3 are gone, i used carefully small needle, but it takes some time than it heals and it is not much peaceful :-)

the third is my target now - maybe i will try it on friday, nothing other helps

What exactly are you guys using? List all your products and HOW you are using them.

The regimen works best if you follow it exactly as Dan says, using only the products he recommends.

To the person using the Clarisonic tool, perhaps it is too irritating. And someone else is using Epiduo, and another is using an SA toner. Anytime you aren't getting great results, you need to eliminite things that aren't a part of the Regimen, and make sure you are doing everything correctly. It doesn't appear that any of you are actually on the regimen.

The main problem we commonly see is people are not using enough benzoyl peroxide. You should be using two full pumps, twice daily.

And please take the quiz below and read the links.

http://www.acne.org/regimenadvice.php

http://www.acne.org/regimen-biggest-mistakes.html

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#notworking

it's possible that your skin was trying to push out the blockage, but the BP was trying to shrink it down and they just sort of cancelled each other out and prolonged it. Sometimes it's a guessing game, but i think you have to get to know your skin reactions and the type of pimples you get. For example, sometimes i know a new zit won't grow into much, so i just leave it alone and it comes to a head and within 3 days it completely gone. No BP, Acids, popping, nothing. Other times it may be deeper and leaving it alone will result in a week long zit, but if i add BP early it'll make it go away in a few days and leave a slight blemish........

also, keep in mind BP irritates skin AND pimples, it will make a zit redder than it normally would get, especially if your spot treating and blobbing it on. Personally i only put BP on one day, maybe two, if i keep putting it on once the zit is already dying out, then it just prolongs the redness and doesn't heal as fast.

i wonder if placing aspirin directly on the lump would help? I am going to do that tonite on mine because i have a few.

I've actually had a big problem with this - I wouldn't consider mine *stunted* zits, but zits very cystic in nature. Never coming to a *head* and always resurfacing in the same area. To date, I got 6 cysts in one spot on my left cheekbone. Yeah. Not so fun :(

What I found it *might* be (after eliminating lots of possible things, and dealing with this reoccurring situation for 2 months continuously) - I think...it's the AHA. Not saying AHA is bad for your face - but on *one* spot (my cheekbone) - AHA seems to be agitating it. Which would make sense, since AHA is a strong exfoliator! Agitating a zit - isn't a good thing :( However, on some smaller pimples that I get - AHA works wonders. I think AHA can be a hit/miss in this area (spot treatment.)

BP - in my personal and humble opinion - can go both ways as well. Everyone's skin is different. My skin does like BP - I've used it for years...however, I sorta thought that "the more the better" with BP when it came to my skin (this is *my* skin too, other people's might be different.) But - after keeping a acne photo log of my skin for almost a year - I've noticed that "lots of BP" is actually counterproductive for my skin. If I start breaking out in little pimples (not cysts, that's different) in a congested area (like lower chin/jaw area or something) - I always have to assess how much BP I'm putting on in that area (which is the only thing I usually use.) 9 times out of 10 - I'll be "overloading" on BP (my term for it) in that area. Usually because of the pimple cluster I will get - my internal reaction is to load a bunch of BP over the area - to help it heal.

Well - for me - this doesn't help. I know that Dan says "more BP the better" - but at least, not in my case (all the time.) I've actually had to *measure* out how much BP I am putting on my skin now - so I don't put too much on my skin. Really. I put 2 full pumps on my skin - and that's it. That actually is almost TOO much for my skin. However, before measuring out my BP - I was just taking some from the pump on a fingertip and applying it at will.

BP control actually has helped me clear up some *cluster pimples* time and time again. I'd say in my skin's case - too much BP (or too much of a good thing) actually can do harm to my skin :)

You may want to take note at how much BP (or stuff) you are putting in certain areas of your face. I didn't realize it was my tendency to heavily load up my skin (especially zit clustered areas) with BP, until I started to measure it out. I try to make sure I just apply an even layer - all over - no matter how bad. It's helped my patchy areas heal.

But that's just my story/skin :) Just thought I'd share!

Edited by Katrina Mae

What you all may be experiencing is a possible GMO (genetically modified organism) form of the bacteria. If this is the case, what happens when you try to attack it with BP is it encases itself in a type of bio-film protective barrier. The remedy for this would be to exfoliate with salacylic acid to help break down the bio-film then using BP.

This would explain why the above poster that left theres alone before, it would usually surface easier. Theres alot of changes going on in the bacteria world, along with molds fungus and viruses, its becoming a transgenic world nanotransformation......

I just wanted to update - I ended up getting 2 more cysts in the same area - but FINALLY - after soaking the area daily (2x a day) with rubbing alcohol - I am starting to heal. The rubbing alcohol killed off whatever bacteria was duplicating over and over on my cheek :) Now just starting to heal - and it's going very well :)

I highly recommend rubbing alcohol in cases like this - but not for an every day use. This was a MAJOR last resort for me - but it worked. I ended up just treating it like the wound(s) it had become - and it worked.