Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mousie

DUAC help!!!

Starting Duac tomorrow. I have had the prescription sitting in my wallet for several months. I hate topicals because I already have dry sensitive skin and don't want to irritate it more. But after locking myself in my apartment for the past 3 days because of a bad breakout I realized I can't take it anymore and am going to just spend the $250 (my stupid insurance won't cover it...booo) and fill the prescription. I just want to know (other than dryness and irritation) what others experiences are with using JUST Duac gel (not in combination with other topicals)? Was there an inital breakout? I have heard that Duac doesn't really have an initial breakout and if it does than it is minimal. I usually don't or haven't experienced an initial breakout with most treatments, but I shouldn't be surprised if I do this time. Please any help is genuinely appreciated.

Hi there!

There shouldn't be an initial breakout with Duac. I've been on it for about 8 weeks in conjunction with Ziana Gel and an oral antibiotic. Initial breakouts are mostly the result of using retinoids and derivatives of vitamin A, like Retin-A and Accutane. With Duac, there will be some dryness and a little peeling, and perhaps a little redness as well. But it's nothing a great moisturizer can't handle. I really like Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion. It's oil-free, for acne prone skin, and very moisturizing. I say go for it! If your skin can't tolerate it, then just don't use it any more. I know that many people have had success with it, including myself. Cheers!

Thanks so much. I just started using it last night. I was pretty reserved with the amount that I used (everyone who "wakes up with a sunburned face" I think it's mostly because they used wayyyy too much). So far no bad reactions. Here's hoping. I am glad the Duac is working for you. That is great to hear. I hope I have equally good results. Something has got to work at this point!!!

Thanks so much. I just started using it last night. I was pretty reserved with the amount that I used (everyone who "wakes up with a sunburned face" I think it's mostly because they used wayyyy too much). So far no bad reactions. Here's hoping. I am glad the Duac is working for you. That is great to hear. I hope I have equally good results. Something has got to work at this point!!!

HI I am also using Duac and Epiduo for the past week and I have had at least 5 new pimples!!! My face is now peeling and my moisturizer is not seeming to help. Also if you go to the website for Duac and print of the coupon that they have for it or check back with you Derm. mine gave me discount card for it. I hope that this information helps.

duac is horrible! ive used it for several months and my skin is soo badly burned, kinda like a bad sun burned. plus it itches like crazy and i only use a small amount. i rather use dan's bp.

DUac is excellent, it helped get rid of my bacne, and it's great for hyperpigmentation

(excuse my spelling..lol). It works very well with Tazorac. It causes driness but just use Cetaphill spf 15 face moisterizor and you'll be just fine! Also use cetaphill anit-bacterial soap bar, it speeds up the process becuase it kills the bacteria, thats what Duac does kills the bacteria and reduces inflammation.

All Cetaphill products are oil-free and non-comendegenic

I went to the derm a few days ago and she gave me Tazorac to add to my regimine. I have been using Duac for 15 days thus far and am having good results. I am still breaking out a little but they are just tiny pimples - no more inflamed spots. Right now my face is pretty clear minus some red marks and a couple clogged pores. Anyway - my doc gave me Tazorac because it is preventative and also for fine lines/discoloration. What were your results with Tazorac? My acne is pretty mild at this point so I don't want a horrible IB when I have finally gotten my skin under control. I have really dry skin and it isn't sensitive so I am not worried about itching, redness, peeling, etc...just don't want a face full of spots. So far I have had no bad effects with the Duac other than dry/flaky skin. How is/was your experience with the Duac/Taz combo?

So I haven't started the Taz yet...but have concerns about the Duac. I have been on it for 3 weeks (to the day) and for the first 2.5 weeks it was working pretty well. I hadn't had any major breakouts at all. But three days ago I started breaking out again and it's been getting worse since. What does this mean? Does it mean the Duac is no longer working or what? I know there is really no IB with Duac because it's just an antiobiotic/BP mixture...so what is going on??? Dammit...I really thought this was going to work. GRRRR.

i'd recommend sticking w/ the duac, but maybe adding a retinoid like retin-a or differin that will help unclog your pores. the duac works to kill the bacteria bc it's a topical antibiotic with benzoyl peroxide in it as well. that's why when you use a retinoid w/ something like duac you'll have even better results.

the other thing to keep in mind is that you need to put duac allllll over your face, it doesnt work if you just use it as a spot treatment. that's what my issue was at first but then i figured it out. duac works as a preventative treatment as well as to help w/ the current acne you have.

anyway, hope this helps! gluck!

I use duac in the morning and tazorac at night. I"ve been using them for about a year and it has really improved my acne.. Although it will make ur skin very dry but using a moisturizer and sunblock will cure that. I've had no problem using them, I just sometimes get a pimple around my chin area when I'm on the menstrual cycle lol but other than that I've been pretty clear. Hoped I helped.