Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Outgrowing Acne  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is it possible to grow out of acne?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know
  2. 2. How does one 'grow' out of acne?

• Healthy Diet and Lifestyle
    • With Age (Just Happens)
    • Some Mysterious Third Option
    • Increased Physical Activity

i think the use of topicals/scrubs/everything else is a big reason why many are unable to outgrow acne

My older brother had severe acne when he was a teen and it just went away.

Conversely, my other brother and sister had moderate acne and still do. I had fairly severe acne considering the cysts from the citrus allergy and still do although I'm mostly clear with diet and habits.

My father had acne until he died in his late 60s. But that may have been rosacea at that point. And maybe he had the same citrus allergy I do. I believe my brother and sister do, but they don't listen to me. His mother had acne but she must have grown out of it as she told me what she was told to do, which was scrub her face with a brush and keep her flapper girl hair off your face and she believed that worked.

My mother never had acne and neither she nor my grandmother remember knowing anyone with acne. And my cousins on that side had clear skin whenever I saw them.

It all depends on what is causing your acne. Acne is an immune response to something being wrong or out of balance. You were just lucky enough to have it coded into your DNA as the response your body triggers when certain things are introduced. That's why acne is something that's inherited. But personally I believe what you inherit is not acne itself but some other weakened state in the body that results in the acne being triggered.

A lot of teenagers have acne and then outgrow it as they get older because during your teenage years your hormones are out of balance but as you get older they begin to level off. So in the case of hormonal acne yes you can outgrow it. But some people, especially women, still have hormonal imbalances all throughout their life that may be causing their acne because lots of things can cause certain hormones to become in excess more than another. In the case of acne being caused by food allergies some people do outgrow food allergies but a lot don't. In the case of toxins in the body from things we eat and the world we live in there's no way you can outgrow that. The only way to correct that is to begin to properly eliminate the toxins from the body and avoid putting more in as much as you can.

When people think about acne running in the family they think of acne itself as being what they inherited but that's really not the case. Acne is a symptom and symptoms don't happen without a cause. Just like you can catch the flu but you can't catch symptoms of the flu such as a fever or nausea because fever and nausea both require something to cause it. A person who has family members with heart problems doesn't inherit a heart attack. Most heart attacks are caused by a buildup over time of a material called plaque on the inner walls of the coronary arteries. So what that person inherited in that case would be whatever weakened state in their body that allowed that buildup to take place. It's the same thing with acne and other skin problems. Something isn't functioning the way it should in the body or you are introducing something to the body that it can't properly deal with and THAT is what is resulting in the acne. Find the cause, treat it and the symptoms should begin to go away. The problem therein however is that you can have multiple causes for given a symptom.

Yes, my dad outgrew acne. My mom only had acne when she was twenty eight for a year and then it ended. Her skin is flawless. I wish I had her skin instead but I dont

I personally dont think getting rid of allergenic food will get rid of acne if you are predisposed to the condition. Some peoples acne is caused by food and they can get rid of their acne by getting rid of those foods but it depends upon the individual. Two of my uncles, one from both sides of my family had acne so it runs in my family already. Hormonal imbalances are not solely caused by food.

I personally dont think getting rid of allergenic food will get rid of acne if you are predisposed to the condition. Some peoples acne is caused by food and they can get rid of their acne by getting rid of those foods but it depends upon the individual. Two of my uncles, one from both sides of my family had acne so it runs in my family already. Hormonal imbalances are not solely caused by food.

You can have acne as a response to an intolerance in addition to acne from hormones and other conditions like adrenal fatigue. Therefore you should try to determine any food intolerances.

And yes, hormone imbalances aren't just caused by diet and habits, but they are affected by diet and habits. Therefore, you should fix your diet and habits.

You can have acne as a response to an intolerance as well as from hormones and other conditions like adrenal fatigue. Therefore you should try to determine any food intolerances.

And yes, hormone imbalances aren't just caused by diet and habits, but they are affected by diet and habits. Therefore, you should fix your diet and habits.

Yes I know but for me as I already stated, my acne isnt caused only buy food intolerances. Its caused by my genetics. Its almost impossible for me to change my diet because I eat all trader joes food, already prepared and no they dont contain preservatives and are healthy and most of the foods have dairy somewhere in them. I have a very strenuous job and Im not ready to learn how to cook

My mum and dad both had acne in their teens, which quickly passed as they entered their 20's. I asked them if they ever took any meds or used specific products for it and they both said no, as nothing was really around back then of they couldn't afford any fancy products.

My sister and I have both had persistant acne since we got into our teens, she's 37 now and I'm 28 and neither of us grown out of it yet. Both of us have used various potions lotions and tablets perscribed and over the counter from the onset.

Really does make me wonder if all the crap I have put in or on my body over the years in the pursuit of clear skin has just ended up making it weaker and more subseptable to acne. In hindsight I would never have used most things the doctor gave me but when you are a thirteen year old with bad skin you think the doctor is the person who will make you better like they are some kind of healing gods!!

My dad stopped getting acne at the age of 24. I'm nearly 23 years old and right now, I'm 100% clear. But all I eat is healthy food. I was planning on eating different food to see if I break out! I want to know if it's finally over! Dang hormones. Although, I usually get 1-2 small acne, but I haven't gotten acne since a month.

My parents never had acne. I asked them and they confirmed...they even showed me pictures of them when they were my age.

I'm not close to my grandparents so I don't know if they ever had acne.

One of my sisters and my half brother have/had acne. We all have the same mother, so she might be carrying the acne genetics.

My sister got clear after she went on BCP, she still gets the odd pimple but is clear for the most part.

My half brother had severe acne and outgrew it by his late twenties.

I'm still stuck with acne. :(

The genetic component just means you're predisposed to developing the condition under the right "circumstances". It doesn't mean genetics "causes" the condition itself.

It is a widely held misconception that acne is in anyway a "normal" event that mostly teenagers go through. It is not normal whatever age you are, and growing out of it doesn't mean you've got a clean bill of health, as acne is only a "symptom" of some other problem.

Most people who say they tried diet and it didn't work don't realize just how hard it is to narrow down what foods/chemicals actually triggers it , it requires a lot of discipline and some luck.