Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm leaving acne.org. Sincere best wishes to you all.

Going so soon? :confused:

Well, I wish you the very best for you too in the future :)

Very interesting post...I'm quite sure I'm suffering from this or at least sometimes, if that's possible. Sometimes I have good days and when I have a bad day I really have to check my looks constantly and usually I'm always unhappy with myself and really think only bad stuff about myself the whole day. When I walk by people I just look on the floor and try not to talk to anyone...it's horrible, sometimes I don't even go out for several days if it's bad..

But my question is: Besides medication, is there a good success rate just with therapy?

Very interesting post...I'm quite sure I'm suffering from this or at least sometimes, if that's possible. Sometimes I have good days and when I have a bad day I really have to check my looks constantly and usually I'm always unhappy with myself and really think only bad stuff about myself the whole day. When I walk by people I just look on the floor and try not to talk to anyone...it's horrible, sometimes I don't even go out for several days if it's bad..

But my question is: Besides medication, is there a good success rate just with therapy?

I believe therapy is the best medication for this as long as you desire to make a change in your life, or else its pointless. Hypnosis would probably be the best route to go with. Hypnosis can alternate your sub-conscience mind and make you think differently. Think of it like subliminal messages that are good for you.

I sometimes wonder if i have BDD. I have had 2 major depressive episodes/melt downs in my life where i have had to recieve medical attention but have always wondered if my problems have a little more to them than just depression.

As a general even when i am 'happy' i fuss/worry alot of my appearance but when i become depressed this gets magnified to the point i won't leave the house because I don't like the way I look and i get a kind of social anxiety where i become terrified that someone i know will see me and this makes me feel very panicky. I've tried to say how i feel to the doc before but they just dismiss it and say i am being silly.

Fox - You might want to speak to someone else. It's really not good enough that your doctor has dismissed you.

Michael - Please see your doctor. It may take time but somebody needs to listen to you.

There can be remission with only therapy but a combination of medication and therapy is the best. There's no shame in requiring medication. Do you look down on hypertensives who take blood pressure medicine? Do you look down on diabetics who give themselves insulin injections? I doubt you do. ;) Same for medications for psychiatric conditions. Some people will only need short term medication therapy of six months, some will require life-long therapy. It's the same for all medical conditions; some only require short-term therapy, some require life-long treatment.

Why are you leaving?

I was put on Lexapro (escitalopram) this week. Months of CBT haven't changed anything -- because Accutane hasn't changed anything. I'm not sure if it was the best thing, I didn't like the psychiatrist, and I don't have all of the symptoms of depression nor generalized nor social anxiety disorder. And then again, I don't think he got it because I don't look in the mirror obsessively (the opposite - I can't look in the mirror) nor obsess over other features or plastic surgery or that stuff. I was hoping for ADHD drugs instead of an SSRI, so I avoided talking about the eating disorder-ish things I've done due to acne.

So far the Lexapro's only given me a floaty kind of nausea. Got my Accutane dose upped to 80mg for the remaining 2 months, hopefully things change when that starts kicking in.

You did a really good job, why are you leaving?

Going so soon? :confused:

Well, I wish you the very best for you too in the future :)

Why are you leaving?

Well, there is a LOT of good on this site, but there's too much "my point is more valid" and aggressive language thrown around.. would people think this was okay in person? I just don't feel happy when I come on here. Thanks for adding everyone. I just wanted to tie up some ends on this post.

I hope this wasn't caus of me. I'm sorry. :(

Don't take on the responsibility for someone else's decision. It's fine to share your thoughts and even feelings so long as it's not done in an attacking manner. This site is not only about community but also about information exchange. Some of the information will be patently silly (for instance expressing anal glands) and some will have great benefit to the populace at large (fish oil supplements).

Wynne is right, don't leave! when you reach social issues where there is a lot of heated opinions people can become very defensive, the problem is everybody has a piece of the puzzle, however after awhile most of the time we come to an understanding and often people who started out totally disagreeing will become friends.

don't worry if someone goes off on you, it could be them venting, just like you may need to vent in future! as long as noone attacks you personally just think of it as someone being really passionate and stay patient, with discussion comes understanding

:comfort::wub:

Awh thanks Wynne. I wasn't going to leave christina! did you mean me, or alem? This place is too good to vent on to leave. i thought i was just being enthusiastic ye, maybe a little less so next time though...

Im pretty sure I used to have BDD. As a kid I would literally rip the hairs out of my arms with my fingers. I hated the sight of any body hair on me (you never see hairy people on tv). I picked myself apart and despised my "flaws". I started to workout at the young age of 13 because girls liked ripped bodies right? The media messed me big time as a kid, I dont usually like to put the blame on other people or things but I really believed the media screwed with my head big time. Always being told to look and act a certain way can have a real impact on a person as it did on me. Strange thing is though i was always a popular and good looking guy, I got boatloads of attention from girls but yet I still couldn't accept myself, always stressing over the flaws I thought I had.

Acne has to be the worst thing a person with BDD can have. I had some severe acne a few years back and it really screwed with my mind. And scarring, that almost put me over the edge. If it wasnt for my loving parents I can honestly say I wouldnt be here right now. Its been a long and tedious journey of accepting myself but Im getting better and better each day. What Ive really learned from all of this is the mind is a very powerful thing. F**k the media

BDD is a form of an anxiety disorder, it is often linked with anorexia or with OCD. It is NOT an attention seeking disorder anymore than any of the other disorders which are clinical mental illnesses are.

One common thread in OCD is the constant need for reassurance it can come in many forms, constantly asking the time, if the door was locked, or if hair is in place, is there any acne? the point being a person with the disease canno't properly process their own thoughts as real, five minutes later its like having to wash rinse repeat. I've had panic attacks to the point of hospitalization from mild acne which to me was somehow symbolic of something far more devestating and a rolling hill down which i would not recover. When you have no control over something it can be devestating.

so next time you beat someone up for being "attention seeking" think that perhaps honestly they really do see a problem and don't need some bullshit nasty comments about how they're being shallow or don't really have a problem.

if they think they do, that should be enough for you.

I'm confused since I agree with everything you say. My reference to attention seeking was not specifically related to BDD or people with genuine problems. To see what I was referring to, please read LionQueens suicide thread - why the mods always close them.

Sorry for any confusion. I'm genuinely trying to raise positive awareness of such conditions.

The pinned thread I made has absolutely nothing to do with BDD and was in no way meant to indicate that people who suffer from BDD are attention-seekers.

To refer to it in this context is wildly misleading and inappropriate. I can't imagine why you dragged it in.