Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi Andrew, :)

First of all, I feel for you-- I think it's really unfortunate that your parents wouldn't help you with something like acne just because it's related to appearance. What if you spoke to them about it being very sore and irritated? Soreness and irritation are definitely a part of having acne and would perhaps more surely get their attention.

As for the way the medical system works-- prescriptions are generally paid for in certain amounts-- when you create an account at a Shoppers Drug Mart or any other pharmacy, it can be set up in conjunction with your parents' health coverage policy. For some people that means all meds are paid for; for some people it means that only certain amounts (say, the first three months) of Accutane are paid for. This is how it works as far as I know, but I'm not an expert.

If your parents aren't cooperating to set up an account at a pharmacy for you, I would suggest you try to set up an account for yourself and get the pharmacist or even your doctor to call your parents to tell them that they need to become part of this process. If you tell a doctor or pharmacist how your parents won't cooperate, I am sure they would call on your behalf and encourage your parents to help out.

As for who to go to-- I would definitely get your doctor to send you to a dermatologist. Dermatologists specialize in skin problems and they will know what is best for you.

Don't worry-- you are entering the part of your life where you are becoming an adult. As a young adult, you should start to have greater autonomy and once you're 18-- bam!-- you can do all this yourself. In the meantime, get doctors and pharmacists to be your allies and help get your parents on board.

Do you know what types of medical plans your parents have through their employment?

---and thank you for the compliment!

Edited by andrewharv

When I wrote that my face was covered in pustules and scabs and I felt this urgency to medicate myself. The urgency has died down a bit as my face looks a lot better this morning, but I'll still need to medicate myself eventually.

My mom doesn't work, we live on alimony checks from my dad who doesn't live in Canada so my mom probably has no coverage and neither do I.

I think I'll have to start off by saving money and then getting a reccomendation to a dermatologist.

And unfortunately, I still have a solid two years until I turn 18, and I'll be graduating @ 16. I'd hate to go into university looking like this...

I could get pills w/o a prescription at a much lower price, but is it safe to take Accutane without the supervision of a doctor?

Thanks everyone!!!

It's good to hear feedback. I am nervous about stopping it in November, but I imagine the effects should stick for the most part since I have been clear since being half-done my course. Atleast I hope that's a sign of continued success post-Accutane!

insane progress bro! wha'd you use on your skin and how'd you use it? no joke man your skin looks perfect now! wtf did you do?! lol

You're going to have to ask me more specific questions (and read this Accutane Journal!). I didn't really do anything at all spectacular-- it's just the Accutane doing its work.

I live in Canada, so I don't pay a penny. It's cool getting the receipt from the drugstore saying "$0.00"...

This is also a very good time for me to pitch a "Why the USA needs healthcare for ALL!" statement but I think in a sense I already did.

I really don't know how much it would cost elsewhere. I'd call up a pharmacy and ask! :)

And thanks for the compliment haha.

I am quite jealous sir. Hope it/was working out for you

El Violador

Awesome progress. And as for the coverage: Some insurance companies are odd when it comes to covering certain drugs. While I was lucky and paid $10 for mine, my mother insurane REFUSES to cover any bills from our doctor relating to my brothers ADHD.

And that's why I can't believe anyone leaves their care in the hands of a corporation, like an insurance company. When my grandparents were in Florida and my grandmother got very ill, it was a #$%&show trying to get her back to Canada for treatment. Oh boy. :(

Anyways, I am glad to be hearing people's comments. I hope if people have questions feel free to ask, or at least I hope this blog helped a little as patchy as it was between entries! haha

Edited by andrewharv

Hi, I'm thinking of starting Accutane... my acne is similar to yours at the beginning but slightly less inflamed (same places though): did you use benzoyl peroxide treatment first? If so, how did that work out?

Also, did you experience any irritation on your skin? I mean noticeable irritation (the type that complete fuckwits decide to comment on at school haha)

Lastly, how long did you suffer from your acne before you started accutane?

Thanks man x

1) Didn't use benzyl peroxide. I used Stievamycin gel at night to apply to the acne. It was very drying and stinging and irritating. Didn't help much at all.

2) Accutane was soothing to my acne... took the soreness away before anything else happened. The soreness was gone within the first week. Then the acne all just melted away over time.

3) I started Accutane one year after getting acne. One shitty, shitty year ;)

I live in Canada, so I don't pay a penny. It's cool getting the receipt from the drugstore saying "$0.00"...

This is also a very good time for me to pitch a "Why the USA needs healthcare for ALL!" statement but I think in a sense I already did.

I really don't know how much it would cost elsewhere. I'd call up a pharmacy and ask!

And thanks for the compliment haha.

You Canadians think your all cool living the good life up there with your great healthcare, your drinkin age limit of 18 and not 21, and your Canadian Mounties. Well guess what? YOU ARE! :)

However, I have health insurance under my parents, so at least I have something...but still envious our your Canadian lifestyle compared to my so-called great American lifestyle. But then again, some people don't get a great lifestyle in other countries so I won't complain...much :)

Well to be honest, now that I think of it, I get medications for free because of my parents' government health plans through their work/occupations.

To see a doctor/dermatologist is always free, but not necessarily the medications.

But... yeah. I really do like our system. It's been there for me on several pretty dire situations.

Anyways I don't want to get off topic, because I could talk about this all day hehe.

Well my parents have a nice health care plan too, since they somewhat work for the state (state prison job, so close enough). But like I said, at least its something. I understand about the off topic. If there was still a chat (which I never even used...lol), I would of skipped all my classes to talk about my views of America today...no lie. I already plan to move to Europe if things don't improve by the end of Obama's term...Sweden sounds good to me :D

But to get back on topic, glad accutane helped you out (despite the IBS). Also glad your helping others with ur knowledge of the drug :)

Hey, I just started yesterday on accutane I'm as well from Toronto. What was your accutane brand? How many months were you on it and how much you weigh. Cause I've gotten prescribed 40mg/day for 4 months and I'm around 175lbs do you think the doctor will up my dosage second month. Cause I didn't even have to get blood work done only after the first month will be my first blood test. My acne is relatively the same as yours.

Your dermatologist will tell you what they plan to do in the second month; you'll have to ask him/her.

I weight about 135 lbs., and took 80mg a day (40mg/day for the first two weeks) for 6 months.

Journal Entry #8

October 22, 2009

Hey everyone,

Accutane was making me ill, so for my final (6th) month, my dermatologist cut my dose in half to 40mg a day. It was still making me ill so I have finished with one half month left to go.

I trust that my face will stay clear (as worried as I am about it!) because...

1) I have been 95% clear for a few months now,

2) I was on a high dose for my body weight

3) My acne was less of a genetic/hormone thing and more something that was triggered by two straight years of using thick, comedogenic tanning gels and moisturizers.

I just have to trust that my acne won't come back. I am taking Genuine Health Perfect Skin tablets on a daily basis now to prevent breakouts, as well as continuing to eat better, drink lots of water, and exercise. At the gym, I tend to sweat alot now (I never used to sweat) but I perceive that as my pores functioning properly and clearing out toxins and sweat from my body better than they used to. I was scared that working out/sweating would cause breakouts but again, I have to trust that that is just an irrational thought.

Accutane, for everyone's information, was indeed a miracle drug for me. My face is clear and I feel confident about my skin. I don't even think about the (fading) red marks anymore. Half a year ago, my life was different in regard to my self image. I care about what clothes I buy myself now, I care about how I present myself once again-- which is important to me-- because I don't feel like my efforts are in vain due to my acne. (Which was an unhealthy way of looking at it, but I have learned to stop thinking that way.)

I must also point out, however, that Accutane caused my stomach damage, and I am being tested on Monday morning for the possiblity of the presence of a stomach ulcer(s), and at the very least, over-acidity which has been causing me great discomfort. I think with treatment this will be perfectly fine, and it is limited to my stomach (not my gut/intestines) which is encouraging.

I am debating if I should get regular facials or chemical peels or doing something to keep my face clear-- I will call my dermatologist about this and also have created a thread on this message board about this post-Accutane skin "maintenance" idea.

Thanks to those of you who have commented or followed along and I will be sure to keep updating, as well as sticking around the boards to lend a helping hand where needed.

:)

Products I am currently using:

-SpectroJel cleanser day and night

-Complex 15 moisturizer + La Roche Posay Hydreane Teinte moisturizer

-Genuine Healthâ„¢ Perfect Skin tablets daily

Edited by andrewharv

Hey Andrew! Sorry to hear u had to finish ur Accutane a lil earlier but happy to hear ur clear!! :clap: Wishing u the best at staying clear and healthy!!

Journal Entry #9

November 10, 2009

I have been finished my course of Accutane for just over three weeks now.

I feel much better-- my back occasionally is achey, but otherwise I am feeling back to normal. I go to the gym three times a week like I used to and haven't noticed any new issues. I still sweat more than normal when I do exercise, but that's a healthy thing, and clears out toxins, so it's no problem to me.

The skin on my face is still much thinner than it was-- it's easier to see the blood vessel beside my eyes (which were already noticeable before) which is sort of frustrating-- it's quite noticeable. Generally my skin is paler and has that transparency to it that I just didn't used to have. But there are ways to remedy this and I am sure over time my skin will get back its healthy glow.

The red marks are generally faded but my cheeks are still fairly rosey-- taking awhile to completely fade.

I am on Nexium for my acid reflux problem developed while on Accutane. My stomach is better again.

No new breaking out or anything of the sort.

-SpectroJel cleanser, morning and at bedtime

-Complex 15 moisturizer + La Roche Posay Hydreane Teinte tinted moisturizer

-Genuine Healthâ„¢ Perfect Skin (2 tablets daily)

Because of the timing... though the acid reflux problem is moreso the problem that Accutane DEFINITELY caused me-- due to the time of onset, when it got worse (with higher doses), when it got better (on lower dose) etc. etc.

Also due to research on the issue.

Journal Entry #10

November 12, 2009

Two days ago just after doing my last journal entry on here, I got a whitehead (raised bump) on my forehead as well as a zit just under my jawline. Not surprisingly, I freaked out. Anyways, two days later and both are entirely gone. A little bit of a red mark where the one on my forehead was, but definitely disappeared very quickly. That was good.

It also served as a reminder to me of the lessons I learned while on Accutane: don't drink lots of alcohol, drink lots of water, and eat well and only foods that you know don't give your body trouble.

-SpectroJel cleanser, morning and at bedtime

-Complex 15 moisturizer + La Roche Posay Hydreane Teinte tinted moisturizer

-Genuine Health Perfect Skin (2 tablets daily)

Edited by andrewharv