Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so, for the past 2 weeks i had a couple of days off, and my face looked great..

this week i started working again, and after 3 days of work my face already looked horrible again.

i'm an electrician, and effortunately that means i work in dusty area's quite often, and dust+acne is suuuuuuch a bad combination!

seriously, my skin gets extremely irritated by it, and i can live with that, but lately ive been thinking my face actually breaks out because of it!

could that be possible? could dust clog pores for example?

well, thats about it, i broke out and i just wanted to share this, im feeling so damn depressed again.. i mean what if my work would cause breakouts? i cant just quit working because of acne :P

how about you guys? anyone having similar problems? work conflicting with acne?

I ended up giving up working with horses cos all the hair and dust really irritated my eczema and to a certain degree my acne.

Annoying how it can end up dictating our lifes :wall:

I was wondering too about that, I work in a warehouse and its sooo dusty, sometimes I'm cleaning and dust is flying everywhere and I'm just like oh my poor skin.. I'd assume there would be a correlation between the two..

This is almost completely unrelated.

But, i work as a salesperson, so i have to talk to members of the public non-stop. As a result i always always always wear lots of make-up to work,and it can take me a long time to get ready.

I hate it so much. I wish i didnt have to hide myself behind the sorta 'mask' it presents. Id love to have perfect skin and be able to crawl outta bed,get dressed and go to work. And not spend hours applying make-up :rolleyes:

Feels as if i am two people,the real me,then the work me.

aw, for me, I usually never wear make up to work because it's a crappy warehouse with no one I have to impress really, but I know that I really have to move on "real" job for lack of a better word lol.. I love being able to get ready really quick for work, but when I go out with friends I take forever to get ready because thats what I really care about and that can be a pain, so I know where you're coming from.

Well, lucky for you, people don't hire electricians on their looks =D

I would say wash you face often and keep it clean as much as possible. I do it at least once a day at work in the afternoon when I can actually feel the dust+oil on my face.

This is almost completely unrelated.

But, i work as a salesperson, so i have to talk to members of the public non-stop. As a result i always always always wear lots of make-up to work,and it can take me a long time to get ready.

I hate it so much. I wish i didnt have to hide myself behind the sorta 'mask' it presents. Id love to have perfect skin and be able to crawl outta bed,get dressed and go to work. And not spend hours applying make-up

Feels as if i am two people,the real me,then the work me.

yes, that offcourse another way how acne conflicts with work, seriously, i would really feel sooo uncomfortable having to meet new people every day and having to look good for them.

Well, lucky for you, people don't hire electricians on their looks =D

I would say wash you face often and keep it clean as much as possible. I do it at least once a day at work in the afternoon when I can actually feel the dust+oil on my face.

yeah, thats totally true, a very big + about this kind of job.

nobody on a construction site gives crap about how i look, even the most beautifull people dont look good anymore when theyre covered with dust :P

but the last thing you say, washing your face in the afternoon.

i already wash my face at morning and evening, and sometimes i do it in the afternoon also, but afterwords my skin allways looks so flaky and such, i dunno why, even applying my regimen doesnt take away the flakyness.

how can i take away the flakyness?

but that only occurs in the afternoon, in the morning and the evening my skin looks great after applying my regimen.

nobody on a construction site gives crap about how i look, even the most beautifull people dont look good anymore when theyre covered with dust :P

i already wash my face at morning and evening, and sometimes i do it in the afternoon also, but afterwords my skin allways looks so flaky and such, i dunno why, even applying my regimen doesnt take away the flakyness.

but that only occurs in the afternoon, in the morning and the evening my skin looks great after applying my regimen.

I haven't found away to take away the flakiness when washing in the afternoon, either. I think it is just because our face gets too irritated if we wash it too often. Maybe if you only wash with water instead of with soap?

Or a very light moisturizer might help as well.

Other than that, is their any way of slightly covering your face while at work? That way you could maybe block some of the devious dust particles that try and get in your pores. The dust coupled with the stress of work could DEFINITELY be the cause of your break-outs.

I haven't found away to take away the flakiness when washing in the afternoon, either. I think it is just because our face gets too irritated if we wash it too often. Maybe if you only wash with water instead of with soap?

Other than that, is their any way of slightly covering your face while at work? That way you could maybe block some of the devious dust particles that try and get in your pores. The dust coupled with the stress of work could DEFINITELY be the cause of your break-outs.

ah, so im not the only one with flakiness in the afternoon! :P i really hope someone has an answer to this, because it makes it difficult for me to look goood in the evening, when i want to go outside and do something fun.

and about covering my face, i try doing that but it never really works, the work i do can be fysical exhausting, so the sweat would take away the protective layer..

ah, so im not the only one with flakiness in the afternoon! :P i really hope someone has an answer to this, because it makes it difficult for me to look goood in the evening, when i want to go outside and do something fun.

and about covering my face, i try doing that but it never really works, the work i do can be fysical exhausting, so the sweat would take away the protective layer..

this may sound unusual or maybe rediculous, but i've been dealing with this for many years now and ive found some tricks that work for me. first, when washing your face, use liquid soap that can be mixed with water, and mix it with the water and get it bubbly before applying it, the water should be slightly warmer than the temperature of your face. dont put too much pressure on your face when washing, its probably best to just increase the speed of your hands. and make sure you dont wash for too long, even just 10 seconds may be enough. second, the brand of towel used to dry your face after washing is a big deal, some are made with fabric that irritates, some are made with softer gentle materials. find a good one and make sure its completely dry every time you use it. dont use a damp towel because lingering moisture is a significant factor in creating flakiness. also, it probably should be room temperature, not hot out of the dryer. pat dry of course, dont rub or it will agitate and peel the skin. dont press hard either, just basically hold it against your face and use your fingers to make sure it touches every inch of your skin, and keep doing it till your skin isnt wet. most importantly, get the towel on your face immediately when youre done washing, you dont want to have water evaporating off your face and leaving the residue of whatever else is in the water. ok, im gonna get rediculous now.. once youve dried with the towel, dont open your mouth or make any facial expressions that will move your facial muscles; freshly washed skin is sensitive to stretching and if youre talking or smiling or brushing teeth or something then youre going to be putting tiny tiny rips in your skin that will dry out and flake up. dont be near wind or a fan for while. if you use moisturizer then you probably want to apply it around a minute after being done with the towel. if you shave you probably want to do it before washing your face, and do it all at once. one funny thing i noticed as well is that you shouldnt be getting too close to the mirror to inspect the surface of your skin.. the reason is because many people subconscoiusly hold their breath upon being up close to a mirror to prevent it from fogging up. and of course, holding your breath isnt good for your skin.. i think it doesnt get the oxygen to your blood or something. i have dry skin and mild acne, and ive found that avoiding the following things are a big help: hot hot water, steam, extreme air temperatures, cigarette smoke, things that are too too spicy- including toothpaste and mouthwash, extended sunlight, prolonged laughing, sleeping face down (pillows are dirty and a beacon for friction)

anywho, these are just tricks that work for me. hope things get better

First off I would say try washing your skin less. Secondly, do everything in your power to avoid touching your face although I know this is hard when it itches alot so if you get the urge, try to make sure you have clean hands at the very least. Basically if your skin is dry and flaky, it probably means you're washing too much and it makes your skin break out so much easier. I cant preach enough, be gentle with your skin, I've found that out from this site that being gentle is one of the best things you can do which means don't overwash so it's overdry all the time.

The things I've changed in my life recently that I think are helping me is exercise, multivitamins, and being gentle with my skin. Anyways I hope at least some of this helps and I hope it continues to help me since the summer heat and lots of sweating is coming.

I agree with a lot of tips left for you. When my face is gross and I can feel my pores filled up and sweaty, I use jojoba oil.

cleanse, towel dry, bp, aloe

blot oilyness throughout your day

cleanse, jojoba oil (dab around your face, wipe off.) bp, aloe

this may sound unusual or maybe rediculous, but i've been dealing with this for many years now and ive found some tricks that work for me. first, when washing your face, use liquid soap that can be mixed with water, and mix it with the water and get it bubbly before applying it, the water should be slightly warmer than the temperature of your face. dont put too much pressure on your face when washing, its probably best to just increase the speed of your hands. and make sure you dont wash for too long, even just 10 seconds may be enough. second, the brand of towel used to dry your face after washing is a big deal, some are made with fabric that irritates, some are made with softer gentle materials. find a good one and make sure its completely dry every time you use it. dont use a damp towel because lingering moisture is a significant factor in creating flakiness. also, it probably should be room temperature, not hot out of the dryer. pat dry of course, dont rub or it will agitate and peel the skin. dont press hard either, just basically hold it against your face and use your fingers to make sure it touches every inch of your skin, and keep doing it till your skin isnt wet. most importantly, get the towel on your face immediately when youre done washing, you dont want to have water evaporating off your face and leaving the residue of whatever else is in the water. ok, im gonna get rediculous now.. once youve dried with the towel, dont open your mouth or make any facial expressions that will move your facial muscles; freshly washed skin is sensitive to stretching and if youre talking or smiling or brushing teeth or something then youre going to be putting tiny tiny rips in your skin that will dry out and flake up. dont be near wind or a fan for while. if you use moisturizer then you probably want to apply it around a minute after being done with the towel. if you shave you probably want to do it before washing your face, and do it all at once. one funny thing i noticed as well is that you shouldnt be getting too close to the mirror to inspect the surface of your skin.. the reason is because many people subconscoiusly hold their breath upon being up close to a mirror to prevent it from fogging up. and of course, holding your breath isnt good for your skin.. i think it doesnt get the oxygen to your blood or something. i have dry skin and mild acne, and ive found that avoiding the following things are a big help: hot hot water, steam, extreme air temperatures, cigarette smoke, things that are too too spicy- including toothpaste and mouthwash, extended sunlight, prolonged laughing, sleeping face down (pillows are dirty and a beacon for friction)

anywho, these are just tricks that work for me. hope things get better

thanks for the tips, ill definitely try keeping these things in mind!

and for the part where you say: im gonna get rediculous now

i totally understand what youre saying about not moving face muscles to much, honestly dude, when i was on tretinoin, my face was so dry that i actually didnt dare to eat my sandwich at lunchtime anymore, for i had to open my mouth so far :P i ate it in tiny tiny bites, too sad when you think about it :P

First off I would say try washing your skin less. Secondly, do everything in your power to avoid touching your face although I know this is hard when it itches alot so if you get the urge, try to make sure you have clean hands at the very least. Basically if your skin is dry and flaky, it probably means you're washing too much and it makes your skin break out so much easier. I cant preach enough, be gentle with your skin, I've found that out from this site that being gentle is one of the best things you can do which means don't overwash so it's overdry all the time.

The things I've changed in my life recently that I think are helping me is exercise, multivitamins, and being gentle with my skin. Anyways I hope at least some of this helps and I hope it continues to help me since the summer heat and lots of sweating is coming.

thanks for the tips, i also believe beeing gentle with skin is the first step, i even stopped using all products which have alcohol in them, i only wash my face with water, and with soap 1 time a week.

the problem is, i would like to wash my face less, but at morning i have to apply my regimen, in the afternoon im covered with dust so i wash it off, and at the evening my face is 100% covered with sebum again, so i have to wash it again.

id like to wash less often, but im afraid that would cause even more breakouts.

i had that same problem.. everytime i eat at subway my skin flakes up around my mouth because i have to open it so wide to bite the sandwich.. i remember senior year in highschool when i first started spreading chemicals on my face, i was laughing really hard one day and my skin turned to a clolor that was probably close to pink, from the terrible redness and flakiness from stretching too much. i was fortunate enough to have been accustomed to being a somewhat loner, so acne didnt change anything much. i wonder where my self esteem would have been if i hadnt been friends with the best looking girl at school who didnt seem to care lol

i looked at the tags on my towels today and the one that i really like says it's 86% cotton and 14% polyester, as opposed to 100% cotton. i dont know if thats a secret ingredient but yeah, not all towels are alike. im not sure where it came from but the tag says marriott lol.