Notifications
Clear all

UK Custom taxes/fees

MemberMember
(@sid99)

Posted : 05/18/2009 7:31 pm

When I order the regimen off the site it costs so much on taxes its almost a put off. Most US websites I order off (and I order of a few) just state "gift" on the product and this way I avoid having to pay any fees which keeps me the customer happy and wanting to purchase more. However having to pay a ridiculous amount on international shipping (more than most other US based companies) and then a hefty international custom fee is really taking the piss to be quite frank.

Please Dan sort this out , just add "gift" on the item and you can avoid it. I know it may be inappropriate to add this (as technically its not a gift) but in this day and age you have to use the loop holes to survive in the business world, hence almost every international company I order of which is foreign does this.

I'm not trying to rant but just so this gets noticed please take care of your international customers some way or another as well as your domestic. We too are a big potential market.

MemberMember
(@loulou717)

Posted : 05/19/2009 6:37 am

This is true when i received my package i had to pay a rediculous amount in customs charges the postman actually told me that little trick of saying it's a gift to avoid those charged because i was so mortified at the cost of everything all up! I haven't re-ordered yet so haven't tried it but i will.

Nice post!!!!! Good on you for putting that tip ouot there.

MemberMember
(@catty)

Posted : 05/19/2009 9:35 am

I hope Dan replies, at least to explain why he doesn't use the 'gift' option...

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/19/2009 1:54 pm

It's for insurance purposes in case it gets lost.

MemberMember
(@sid99)

Posted : 05/20/2009 12:14 pm

I'd rather take the risk of the package getting lost (because in all honesty the chance of that happening is probably less than 10%) and when you consider the fact that the custom charge is the roughly the same as the actual product (16oz cost just under $17 and customer charge was A11.30) even if it does get lost for me to reorder will weigh out just the same. If it were to get lost again than blame pure old luck. I hardly doubt a package is going to get lost twice for the majority of people let alone once.

Overall it will be far more beneficial for us international customers. I'm sorry but to put it truly if you were to do a feasibility study on the current international shipping costs most companies would have already deemed it a failure.

But let me not get carried away and get back to the point. All i'm trying to do is bring this topic in to a light a bit more and just advising Dan and his team of this. It will truly be great if you could sort this problem out. Thanks.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/21/2009 2:18 pm

It's to cover the seller in case they wish to make a claim, not the buyer. Plus it's against regulations and Dan could risk a fine.

The importing personal allowance has been ‚£18 for as long as I remember! I doubt they'll raise it either!

But yeah...it is a pain

MemberMember
(@helios)

Posted : 05/23/2009 7:53 am

I am thinking whether it would be possible to find a good parcel forwarding service for that. Here's my post: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Package-f...ng-t236925.html

MemberMember
(@english_rose)

Posted : 05/23/2009 11:07 am

post deleted

MemberMember
(@english_rose)

Posted : 05/23/2009 11:22 am

it's against regulations and Dan could risk a fine.

The importing personal allowance has been £18 for as long as I remember! I doubt they'll raise it either!

But yeah...it is a pain

I wholly agree and the penalties could be serious for Dan.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/23/2009 1:41 pm

In my experience up until last year (2008) taxes were NOT applicable on parcels with a value of up to 39

It has been static at 18 for donkeys years! The 39 customs allowance is if it's a gift.

MemberMember
(@english_rose)

Posted : 05/23/2009 1:53 pm

In my experience up until last year (2008) taxes were NOT applicable on parcels with a value of up to 39

It has been static at 18 for donkeys years! The 39 customs allowance is if it's a gift.

as far as I'm aware it is as Marjory says at 18 at the moment.

MemberMember
(@helios)

Posted : 05/26/2009 1:44 pm

I have a friend in the USA who will be happy to accept to delivery of an acne.org order and then forward on as a "gift" to the UK, maybe you could try something like that.

yeah, that would be great. Too bad I just ordered my Dan's BP to the UK directly :(

has your friend sent you anything from the states? how much did you have to pay for the postage?

MemberMember
(@miriam)

Posted : 08/31/2009 4:26 pm

Plus it's against regulations and Dan could risk a fine.

Exactly. I spoke to our shipper about this and businesses are not allowed to mark things as gifts. It could potentially get the company into a lot of trouble and also make it difficult for ANY of our products to get through in the future, whether they're marked as "gift" or not.

I'm sorry that we don't have a way around this. I know you guys pay a lot of money in customs fees.

MemberMember
(@nickb123)

Posted : 09/06/2009 5:27 pm

It does royally suck. Maybe one day Dan will expand his business and have a UK distribution network! That would be incredible!

If you work it out though, even including the custom charges Dan's BP comes in at around the same price as ordering PanOxyl domestically to the same volume of actual BP. Actually the PanOxyl might come in at around A2 cheaper. For me, it's easier to buy from Dan in the sense that I buy less units. I also much prefer the pump rather than PanOxyl tubes, as I can control how much BP I use more easily. The only negative from a efficiency point of view is if I'm not at home when Royal Mail try to deliver... in which case I have to go down to the depot and pay the charge before they'll give me my item. Luckily I live right near my depot in London and can walk there... but it's a nuisance anywhere else in the country as the depots there tend to be outside of town.

MemberMember
(@meteor-magic)

Posted : 10/07/2009 6:20 am

I don't ever remember being charged customs. Then again, I've only ever ordered things amounting to less than A20 for the most part. But even when I ordered the BP + Cleanser I don't remember being charged customs duty..?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/08/2009 6:27 am

Its hit and miss sometimes you do get one through without the fees, lately though, my last 3 have been hit. Everything I use is from the states but the soap and moisturiser I get brought back when people go over on holiday.

MemberMember
(@christof)

Posted : 11/22/2009 2:41 pm

Dan is an honest man trying to run a successful and honest business. Using loop holes in the system is dishonest and could get him in a lot of trouble. While we don't like paying these taxes (me included) they are there for a reason.

I don't understand people who moan about paying taxes. It goes to the Government who in turn use it to pay for many of the free or subsidised services that we are VERY lucky to have in the UK. You would be quick to moan if we had a poor, struggling Government, which many countries in this world have.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/22/2009 3:30 pm

Dan is an honest man trying to run a successful and honest business. Using loop holes in the system is dishonest and could get him in a lot of trouble. While we don't like paying these taxes (me included) they are there for a reason.

I don't understand people who moan about paying taxes. It goes to the Government who in turn use it to pay for many of the free or subsidised services that we are VERY lucky to have in the UK. You would be quick to moan if we had a poor, struggling Government, which many countries in this world have.

MemberMember
(@diljeet)

Posted : 01/07/2010 5:24 pm

If I brought 2 8oz at separate times which would be A12 each instead of just 1 16oz which would be A24 plus p&p, would I avoid the custom charge?

It is anything A18 or above then you get charged?

MemberMember
(@christof)

Posted : 01/07/2010 5:49 pm

I have recently thought about trying to buy in two lots rather than one and I think I will give that a try. But I think you would have to purchase on two seperate days otherwise you will end up with the packages arriving the same time and you might get the charge. Not sure.

If you try it then let us know what you find!

MemberMember
(@dalewinton)

Posted : 01/13/2010 9:17 am

Are you kidding? This is probably one of the most ill informed posts I've ever seen on a forum.

Yeah I got fucked by a 20 charge when I ordered the starter kit, really sucks.

MemberMember
(@etherealbeats)

Posted : 01/16/2010 2:08 pm

Please Christof, get real. Come live in London you can see for yourself the government pissing our taxes up the wall.

MemberMember
(@christof)

Posted : 01/16/2010 3:47 pm

It's all about opinions my friends. While I don't agree with the way that a lot of our money is spent, the majority of it is used properly.

MemberMember
(@gamma911)

Posted : 02/23/2010 11:55 am

I too have been stung with A11.30 customs fee. Which has also delayed the package.

Afraid this will be the last time I order from DAN. Sorry but the cost of shipping, product and customs fee is putting it right up there with the most expensive cosmetics.

MemberMember
(@sid99)

Posted : 02/26/2010 9:43 pm

I started this post up last year and see that people are still commenting on it.

Firstly Christof I don't think anyone here is doubting Dan's honesty. You're completely right he can get into trouble, it's very risky.

Secondly I respect your opinion but I disagree with your latter paragraph somewhat. I am a tax payer and also contribute my monthly National Insurance. I dont feel I should be paying 11.30 for an item valued at 21 (16oz acne.org BP). If I am to pay custom taxes it should be a percentage of the value of the item. Something reasonable like 15-20% at most. At this rate I am paying over 50% of the value of the item as custom charges. This is robbery in my opinion.

Thirdly I agree the government does many good things with our money but I also believe it does equally many inappropriate things, such as spending 20 billion+ on the Olympic Games and then proposing to demolish one the sites in East London when the games are finished (this is just an example for the purpose of the argument).

I think the only way to reduce this cost vastly would be (as someone already mentioned) to have a UK distributor who could sell the items. Personally I feel Dan doesn't have any plans of expanding his product range outside of the USA any time soon, maybe he wants to focus on the domestic market for the time being, or he doesnt see much potential in the UK or indeed Europe. Who knows??