Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
speaktwice

Sugar free diet

Rice, pasta, bread, chicken, red meats (steak, beef), vegetables, fruits, beans, eggs. Avoid candy, cake, sweets, foods with added sugar. If you care about getting clear, you can will yourself not to eat sugary foods.

It is possible...... but not easy.

I was only able to do it after I was forced to. I developed an allergic reaction to nearly every form of processed sugar (and large quantities of natural sugar) after derms killed my internal balance with an abundance of antibiotics Rx.

The only way I was able to get relief from the severe allergic symptoms was by eliminating sugar (via the Candida Diet). Google Candida diet and it will give you a very comprehensive rundown on what you can and can't eat.

I will say though, if I wasn't forced to, I would still be eating candy bars and cupcakes and ice cream etc. Having this condition forced me to change to a healthy diet so it's been favorable to me in the long run...but I miss sugar so so much :(

I would be pretty surprised if someone could stick to this diet on the long-term without anything but willpower motivating them. If they can, my hat is off to them :cool:

a sugar free diet, that would totally suck! I wouldnt do it. Id rather have acne than not eat foods I love.

OMG Jess I havent seen you on here in a loooooooooooong time. How are you love?

Yes. I'm a firm believer in eating primal which essentially means that you don't eat any grains (this includes pasta, potatoes, rice, bread and of course refined sugar etcetc) and instead have lots of veggies, nuts, meat (or other protein) etc. I've been eating primal for a year now, i'm not too strict about it, i do have the occasional pasta meal (max once a week) and if i ever have bread its got to be 100% rye and even then only one or two pieces max. The main idea behind eating like this is explained in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCFZoqmKf5M. In short it is argued that eating grains causes a mild inflammation in the body (better explained here) that then causes several diseases (e.g. diabetes type 2, cancer and multiple sclerosis) and symptoms (for me it is acne, for others it is something else). You'll find lots of useful info about primal eating (aka paleo/hunter&gatherer/neanderthal lifestyle) on Marks Daily Apple.

For me, changing my eating habits to a primal lifestyle has improved my skin immensely! I've tried loads of stuff, antibiotics, topicals, skin remedies etcetc and i can assure you this has definitely been the best way so far! I still have some acne, but its pretty much nothing compared to what it used to be, now i still need to work on getting rid of the red pigmentation that acne left behind :/ In the beginning it was really tough (and weird) to give up those foods that used to be such basics for me but now i don't even crave them anymore (because i'm not addicted anymore)! I began the whole process by kicking my sugar-habit, which is what you're thinking of doing, right? And i must say that giving up grains as well has made it so much easier for me to abstain from the sugar. This is because the carbohydrates in grains are only one digestive step away from being sugars and hence have a similar effect as sugar in your body. Also, changing my eating habits helped me lose 8 in about 9 months without any extra effort! I'm 172cm tall and weigh 65kg, i used to weigh 73kg. So the weight loss is was a nice side-effect :)

When i have more time (in the midst of final exams now..) i might do a post about this, but check out those links if you're interested!

Oh and about the sugar, check this video out about sugarholics!

I don't think it's possible for me to abstain from grains, like sugars I can see it being possible, but no grains and I'd be constantly hungry, I don't eat enough other food to make up for grains.

I don't think it's possible for me to abstain from grains, like sugars I can see it being possible, but no grains and I'd be constantly hungry, I don't eat enough other food to make up for grains.

Well getting rid of sugar and refined grains (i.e. anything that is made of white flour, or white rice) and instead just having brown rice, fullgrain pasta, ryebread (or something similar) is a definitely worth doing :) You could also try quinoa as a substitute to your grains - its delicious! Especially when you cook it pilaf style!

I know it sounds crazy to completely give up on grains, trust me, i had my doubts :D Of course as with any lifestyle change you're going to have to do it gradually step by step so starting with getting rid of the sugar habit is a good way to go. It's easier to do it step by step because its not so extreme then and you're less likely to fall back to your old habits by binging.

Just to give an idea of what I eat instead of grains i'll just write down a list of what i have on a typical day:

Breakfast: A big bowl of plain yoghurt (not the fatfree kind) with either frozen berries, a banana or any other fruit (+ walnuts if i feel like it). Alternatively i could have one or two boiled eggs or an omelette e.g. with spinach. + Coffee. To switch it up a little i sometimes have rye bread with cured salmon and dill = yum!

Snack: An apple or some other fruit. If i'm hungrier i'll have some cashews, macadamia nuts or walnuts as well OR cottage cheese!

Lunch: Some form of protein (e.g. chicken fillet, fish, minced meat) plus a big salad OR lentils OR cottage cheese OR boiled veggies OR veggie ratatouille... etc Sometimes i have more than one of the "extras".

Snack: Fruit and/or a boiled egg. Or nuts. Or any of the previously mentioned things, depends on how hungry i am.

Dinner: Pretty much the same options as for lunch, but i tend to eat more for dinner than for lunch. Also if i do "splurge" and e.g. have some pasta i have it with my dinner :)

(Snack: A fruit or something else if i'm still hungry) <-- i don't usually have this snack because i tend to have dinner quite late, around 8-9 in the evening.

In addition to this i take omega 3 capsules morning and evening (usually with my meal) as well as a good multivitamin.

The key point is to make sure you get a lot of protein (it keeps you fuller longer than carbs) as well as enough of healthy fats (from nuts, fish, omega capsules) and i can assure you that you won't go hungry :) Instead of grains you eat veggies, which imo are much more tastier and versatile than plain old rice (or pasta/potato/bread...).

Maybe just avoid junk foods. Like cake, cookies, candy (avoid candy like the plague), or anything else that TASTES sugary. cereals are high in sugar. I am trying not to eat sugar. When i crave sweets, go with fruits. I've seen improvement in my acne.

fruits contain tones of sugar. if you wanted to do an actual sugar free diet your gonna have to look at a high fat diet. you need to eat lots of fatty meat, eggs, and start cooking with olive oil or pig lard.

fruits contain tones of sugar. if you wanted to do an actual sugar free diet your gonna have to look at a high fat diet. you need to eat lots of fatty meat, eggs, and start cooking with olive oil or pig lard.

yes fruits contain sugar, but they contain fructose which is definitely better than refined sugar. I'm not saying you should opt for fruits like grapes which do contain tonnes of sugar, but what i'm saying is that they are a better option than refined sugar. Also, a low GI diet doesn't have to mean that you do Atkins or something equally stupid. In fact you can just increase your protein intake and eat more healthy fats. Using olive oil for cooking is not a good idea because it doesn't endure heat. Coconut oil on the other hand is good for cooking because it endures high temperatures.

Hmm, well I already rarely eat white bread or similar things, the majority, if not all, of my grains are multigrain. The only sugar I've had today is that which was preadded to the granola I had for breakfast. Well, it was sweetened with agave, which is some kind of nectar or something, I don't know if it's something I should avoid or not.

I honestly don't think sugar-free diets are that hard. Just replace sugary foods in your diet with unsweetened grain products (bread, rice, pasta...), and keep some diet drinks around if you ever need to cure a sugar craving.

Ugth, I will never touch a diet drink or anything with artificial sweeteners. I don't drink pop very often so it's not a worry.

OMG have you guys tried that zero calorie soda? I tried a cherry one yesterday and it tasted dispicible! I drank a few sips and then I threw it away in the garbage, a total waste of my 75 cents if you ask me

I don't eat many processed foods, quit making assumptions.

I was totally doing good with this no/minimal sugar thing, then when I got home my mother had baked a large cake =\ I've got a weak will power.

I don't eat many processed foods, quit making assumptions.

I was totally doing good with this no/minimal sugar thing, then when I got home my mother had baked a large cake =\ I've got a weak will power.

well that's a great start anyway! don't worry too much about being perfect about the diet all the time. I mean of course strictly following the diet is the best thing you can do but don't sweat it too much :) Had you already noticed any calming down in your skin?

I find that a big motivation for me to not eat those things is that when i don't eat them my skin is much better and whenever i do have something "bad" i get a really (physically :S) painful breakout. So because i know thats whats gonna happen it kind of makes it more worth to avoid those foods :) I also find that the longer I've been eating like this the less i actually crave those "bad" foods! Just keep in mind that changing your diet is a lifestyle change and its impossible (well, really hard) to change something like that in just one go, so just take it easy and gradually change your habits.

I hope you'll be able to stay sugar free for a month or so and get some results! :) you can do it!