Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CWtheGreat

Question about sugar

I know sugar from candy breaks me out (I remember eating Sour Patch Kids candy and breaking out like crazy) but sugar from fruits like bananas and apples doesn't have any bad effects on my skin. What exactly is the difference between the two?

Anyways, my other question is this. Yesterday, I ate some Oscar Meyer Turkey that comes in the little packages and noticed that it in the ingredients information it has "2% or less of sugar" contained in it. Exactly what kind of sugar is this and would this cause me to break out the same way sugary candy does?

Thanks in advance.

I know sugar from candy breaks me out (I remember eating Sour Patch Kids candy and breaking out like crazy) but sugar from fruits like bananas and apples doesn't have any bad effects on my skin. What exactly is the difference between the two?

The sugar in fruit comes with a complex of vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and is more slowly assimilated. Also, the fructose in fruit is of a different isomer than the fructose found in candy and processed food.

Anyways, my other question is this. Yesterday, I ate some Oscar Meyer Turkey that comes in the little packages and noticed that it in the ingredients information it has "2% or less of sugar" contained in it. Exactly what kind of sugar is this and would this cause me to break out the same way sugary candy does?

Probably not, since there's only infinitesimal amounts of sugar in processed meat.

The sugar in candy is refined, white sugar. It's chemical structure is different from the sugar in fruit (fructose) and hence is absorbed differently in your body. The glycemic index (GI) of fructose is much lower than that of white sugar and hence doesn't cause as big of an insulin spike when you eat it. Insulin spikes on the other hand are related to causing a small state of inflammation in your body which in some people (you and me obviously since we're on this forum :D) expresses itself e.g. through hormonal acne. People who don't get acne might have other symptoms, or then no visible symptoms at all but end up having diabetes (or other diseases related to grains). You can read more about it here (it's explained very clearly) and here.

Hope this helps!

The sugar in candy is refined, white sugar. It's chemical structure is different from the sugar in fruit (fructose) and hence is absorbed differently in your body. The glycemic index (GI) of fructose is much lower than that of white sugar and hence doesn't cause as big of an insulin spike when you eat it. Insulin spikes on the other hand are related to causing a small state of inflammation in your body which in some people (you and me obviously since we're on this forum :D) expresses itself e.g. through hormonal acne. People who don't get acne might have other symptoms, or then no visible symptoms at all but end up having diabetes (or other diseases related to grains). You can read more about it here (it's explained very clearly) and here.

Hope this helps!

Good to see another MDA follower on these boards :)