Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jacobi

How to get rid of Tazorac REDNESS?

I've been on Tazorac 0.5% Cream for 5 solid months now; haven't missed a single night of application. In the morning, I wash with Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash, and at night I wash with Purpose cleanser.

That said, I am STILL suffering from redness over most of my face; it looks like I have sunburn. I used to always moisturize in the mornings after washing, so I recently tried moisturizing after my nighttime washing (BEFORE applying Tazorac) instead, but I haven't noticed any difference.

I'm currently using CeraVe lotion. I've also tried Aveeno Ultra-Calming. Any product I use seems to only make the redness WORSE rather than better, including the Aveeno, which is intended specifically to reduce redness.

I can't stand it; it's hardly worth the improvements I've had in acne because my face is always red and irritated, no matter how much i moisturize.

Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I looked up the ingredients of Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Cleanser, and it's second ingredient can be an irritant. Maybe cut out the Neutrogena and use Purpose in the morning, too? Also, Purpose contains fragrance, which can be irritating to some people. If cutting out the Neutrogena doesn't work, you may want to completely switch cleansers to something without fragrance, like Cetaphil (not the oily skin version) or Cerave.

Would anybody recommend taking a couple days off Taz, at least in the irritated areas, so that my skin can get back to normal, or will this cause a major setback in my progress with the medication? Again, I haven't missed a night in 5 months; this would be the first.

I feel like I'm in an endless cycle and the only way to get out of it might be to start back at stage one, if that makes any sense. I feel like the changes I make can't help me if my skin is already red and irritated to begin with.

Yep, you called it. Take a 2-3 days break, then start back up again slowly. You might want to try every other night. You might get the same/better results.

I've been on Tazorac 0.5% Cream for 5 solid months now; haven't missed a single night of application. In the morning, I wash with Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash, and at night I wash with Purpose cleanser.

That said, I am STILL suffering from redness over most of my face; it looks like I have sunburn. I used to always moisturize in the mornings after washing, so I recently tried moisturizing after my nighttime washing (BEFORE applying Tazorac) instead, but I haven't noticed any difference.

I'm currently using CeraVe lotion. I've also tried Aveeno Ultra-Calming. Any product I use seems to only make the redness WORSE rather than better, including the Aveeno, which is intended specifically to reduce redness.

I can't stand it; it's hardly worth the improvements I've had in acne because my face is always red and irritated, no matter how much i moisturize.

Your neutrogena wash has Salicylic acid in it. I recommend you stop using that cleanser.

Your neutrogena wash has Salicylic acid in it. I recommend you stop using that cleanser.

Oh, I didn't notice that. Yep, get a gentle cleanser for when you put on the taz. You can probably continue using that SA cleanser in the morning as usual.