Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hina79

Is acne a dominant gene?

This site claims that acne is inherited and it is a "dominant" gene. Does that mean if 1 parent has acne and the other doesn't have acne, the kids will have acne 100% But I know of cases in my family itself where 1 sibling has acne and the other doesn't and 1 of the parent had acne.

Anyone know anything about this dominant gene theory about acne?

I pray that my kids dont get this disease or hopefully there is some safe cure by then.

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acne4ltr.htm

The Two Basic Causes of Acne

1. Acne is Inherited

The gene which gives one acne is autosomal, or a dominant characteristic gene. If a brown and blue eyed couple had a child, the baby would have brown eyes because brown is the dominant characteristic or autosomal gene. If you want to blame someone for your acne, blame your parents because they gave it to you. You did not get it from eating too many fast food hamburgers with french fries, drinking too many sodas, eating chocolate, thinking about sex, having sex, or not washing your face.

This site claims that acne is inherited and it is a "dominant" gene. Does that mean if 1 parent has acne and the other doesn't have acne, the kids will have acne 100% But I know of cases in my family itself where 1 sibling has acne and the other doesn't and 1 of the parent had acne.

I pray that my kids dont get this disease or hopefully there is some safe cure by then.

1. Acne is Inherited

The gene which gives one acne is autosomal, or a dominant characteristic gene. If a brown and blue eyed couple had a child, the baby would have brown eyes because brown is the dominant characteristic or autosomal gene. If you want to blame someone for your acne, blame your parents because they gave it to you. You did not get it from eating too many fast food hamburgers with french fries, drinking too many sodas, eating chocolate, thinking about sex, having sex, or not washing your face.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. My mom had pretty bad acne as a teenager, and I had moderate acne until a couple of years ago. My younger sister, however, has perfect skin. Perfect. I'm sure that genetics has something to do with it, but I'm really not sure if it is necessarily the dominant gene. I think my sister took more after my dad, who also had perfect skin. (Like, never had to wash his face perfect skin.) I'm not sure if that helped or not, but maybe in our lifetimes there will be a definate answer.

I believe acne is inherited.I'm not sure if it is a dominant gene though.

But if it is,sometimes the dominant gene doesnt always rule.

Think about it~ when brown eyes and brown eyes get together,they are both dominant and cancel each other out and sometimes make blue.So one COULD assume that if BOTH your parents had acne,they may cancel each other out and the gene may skip you.

My father also had perfect skin,yet my mother had bad acne. Both my sister and I have acne...so in our case,maybe it was the dominant gene. :mad:

1. Acne is Inherited

Can you get it from other relatives too? According to my mom, her older brother had severe acne with scarring and my dads younger brother had severe acne with scarring. Thats not necessarily true about the eye thing either. My grandfather had blue eyes. My grandmother had brown eyes. All three of their children have green eyes.

Yes, they say if a blue eyed parent marries a brown eyed parent, the children will always have brown eyes since the "brown eye" gene is dominant. But there are 2 copies of every gene, so the brown eyed parent could have a blue eyed gene in them even though it did not express itself. That gene could combine with the other blue eyed copy from the blue eyed parent and the kid could have blue eyes. In my case, my dad had oily skin and acne but only till about 25. My mother has dry skin and never had acne in her life.

The gene which gives one acne is autosomal, or a dominant characteristic gene. If a brown and blue eyed couple had a child, the baby would have brown eyes because brown is the dominant characteristic or autosomal gene. If you want to blame someone for your acne, blame your parents because they gave it to you.

Well...this paragraph is a bit misleading. I don't think there is an "acne gene," and if there is, it's probably not a simple Mendelian autosomal gene. Most disorders aren't (with a few exceptions like Huntington's and cystic fibrosis). I suspect there are many genes that go into your likelihood to develop acne: genes for skin lipid composition, genes involved in cell turnover, genes involved in hormones and hormone receptor sensitivity, genes for the immune system, stress response, and so on.

But many of these factors ARE heritable to some degree, so in a sense, yeah: you do get your propensity for acne from your parents.

For your own children, you will at least know what your triggers are, what skin care methods worked for you, etc, and you can use those things as a starting point, since their skin may be similar to yours.

But many of these factors ARE heritable to some degree, so in a sense, yeah: you do get your propensity for acne from your parents.

For your own children, you will at least know what your triggers are, what skin care methods worked for you, etc, and you can use those things as a starting point, since their skin may be similar to yours.

How about not having them in the first place? not until there are engineered retroviruses that can perform genetic surgery, which is like, never, or at least not before we can screen for acne, as we already do for other debilitating genetic diseases. Food for thought.

One parent can have brown, and one have blue, and if the parent with brown eyes ALSO has the recessive gene for blue eyes (which was outdone by the dominant gene; thus, brown eyes), then their children can end up with either blue or brown eyes. That's how my parents are. I'm the youngest of 5, and I have two siblings with blue eyes and the rest of us have brown.

The point is, it works the same way with acne. Just because one of your parents had it, and just because it's a dominant gene, doesn't mean the children will end up with it. For example, only one of my siblings had acne besides myself, and I was the one to end up with severe acne, much like my grandfather and two of my uncles. I got it from my mother's side, and she only had mild acne.

Acne is a polygenic (affected by many genes) and pleiotropic (affected by the environment) trait.

I suspect there are many genes that go into your likelihood to develop acne: genes for skin lipid composition, genes involved in cell turnover, genes involved in hormones and hormone receptor sensitivity, genes for the immune system, stress response, and so on.

Have you read or seen studies on all those examples? I know the tendency to hyperkeratinization is genetically influenced. And I suspect either hormone receptor sensitivity or the amount of enzyme for conversion to DHT since male pattern baldness seems to run in families.

Acne is a polygenic (affected by many genes) and pleiotropic (affected by the environment) trait.

Yep, like diet, sleep, exercise, stress, health of various organs or systems...

Neither of my parents had acne growing up but all of their kids did...

:think:

If it were dominant wouldn't they have had it?

at this point, genetics is not close to identifying any gene that is responsible for any disease. The reason is that most disease patterns aren't governed by one gene but by many. And I mean many. The only that follows simple mendelian inheritance is cystic fibrosis. Like whiter shade said, it's definitely a combination of genes responsible for acne. Though a variant in any of these genes may lead to worsening of acne, theoretically speaking.

Exactly my thoughts on this.

It would be more accurate to say that acne CAN be inherited, but nobody knows what percentage of acne cases are caused solely by genetics. I wouldn't be surprised if most acne is caused by environmental factors. In my case, I am the only one in my immediate and extended family that has ever suffered from acne.

Yes, they say if a blue eyed parent marries a brown eyed parent, the children will always have brown eyes since the "brown eye" gene is dominant. But there are 2 copies of every gene, so the brown eyed parent could have a blue eyed gene in them even though it did not express itself. That gene could combine with the other blue eyed copy from the blue eyed parent and the kid could have blue eyes. In my case, my dad had oily skin and acne but only till about 25. My mother has dry skin and never had acne in her life.

well every one in my family has brown eyes besides me i have blue.

Even if it was a dominant gene, it doesn't mean you will always inherit it, you will just have a greater chance.

Neither of my parents had any more acne than normal and no one I know of in my extended family did either, but before I treated my skin naturally and through medication I had severe acne.

It depends on each parent.

Let me see if I can adequately explain this, a gene can either be dominant or recessive, for an example in rats gray fur is dominant over white fur. To represent gray fur we will use a capital R, for white fur we will use a lower case r. Now there are many possibilities for genes, a rat could be RR (meaning homozygous dominant, homo means same.) or a rat could be rr (homozygous recessive, because white fur is a recessive trait) But even if a rat has gray fur, they could be carrying the recessive trait, this is represented as Rr, (called heterozygous, hetero means different) they will have grey fur but they carry the recessive gene. For a rat to show the recessive gene, as in their fur is white they must be homozygous recessive, or rr.

So for example, if a rat that was Rr and another rat that was Rr had children, 1 out of 4 of them would be white, as in they show the recessive trait. The other 3 would be gray. (You can use a Punnett square to determine this)

So if we apply this to acne and clear skin is dominant over acne prone skin, if both your parents are clear skinned they could still both be carriers of the recessive form of the gene. So 1 out of 4 of their children will have acne prone skin, and you might just be unlucky.

Okay I hope that helped. If you need me to clarify anything just say so! Best of luck.

I don't know but my father had acne, my brother had acne and I still have acne. My sisters have have mild breakouts here and there but nothing to stress about. Lucky them.

Seems like it is to me. My mom had bad acne until she took accutane (she was 47 at the time). I have terrible skin, my brother has zits and my youngest brother, who is 11, already had blackheads and zits on his nose. Happy times. Alternatively, I see some teens with flawless skin and their parents also have flawless skin. Acne is a bitch.

You can say that again BeatriceSANK. I think acne does come down to genes. My mother has never had acne and always had a clear complexion. She also has hazel green eyes. My father on the other hand had very oil skin and is very prone to breakouts. He also has bad vision, crooked teeth, bad allergies and brown eyes. His genes were more dominant I guess, because I got all these things from him. I try not to dwell, but almost every day I wish I had better genes.