Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CentralTexasBoy

Stopping minocycline -- rebound flar

For those of you who have been on minocycline for a while and then stopped, did you experience a rebound flare which was worse than your "pre-minocycline" breakouts? If so, at what point after you stopped minocycline did the flare occur, and how long did it last before the breakouts returned to normal suckage level?

I tried to ease off somewhat. Went from 200mg to 100mg for a month, then stopped. Three weeks later, I started a bad flare up which is still going on 2 weeks later even though it has tapered off somewhat.

I always flared about a month later, but did not wean. The only time I did wean I jumped to Accutane so can't tell you for sure if the weaning helped. I did not flare and it took a month to wean from 90mg to 0mg.

I'm curious to know the same. I'm being weaned off from 100mg a day to 50mg a day.

My derm said that if i'm feeling really good about my skin I can start taking 1 pill every other day, but if i'm not feeling that great about my skin I can continue taking 1 pill everyday until i'm finished with my prescription.

Also, after i'm done with taking antibiotics she's going to monitor my skin to make sure I don't need to be on it for longer. I told her I want to be off of antibiotics so i'm hoping I don't flare again. I'm also using Clindamycin which i'm supposed to rely on as my main source of upkeep, but the antibiotics were thrown in to help with the inflammation.