Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I would like to start cooking healthier meals, but I realized that I do not have any good cookware to begin with.

I've seen a lot of mention of the words "broil" "poach" "saute" etc. I'm not an experienced cook, but I would like to know what cookware I should have have in my arsenal of goods for my kitchen. Any other special items that would make cooking healthier a lot easier? What pan(s) do you guys use more frequently?

Thanks!

One suggestion from me is to get a steamer - doesn't have to be expensive, and is great for cooking veg without killing off their nutritional content :)

One suggestion from me is to get a steamer - doesn't have to be expensive, and is great for cooking veg without killing off their nutritional content :)

*takes notes*

That sounds good, all I have right now is a large skillet that I use for scrambling eggs. I don't cook very often, and i'm starting to think it's because I don't have anything to cook on!

You should use stainless steel and glass for everything as much as possible. These are non-reactive. The stainless steel should be heavy with thick bottoms.

For non-stick, there's well seasoned cast iron. Get a used one so you don't have to season it. Don't use teflon. There is Martha Stewart's Greener nonstick pan available at Macy's and anodized aluminum (Caphalon) which needs to be seasoned like cast iron, but is lighter. I have some of both, but I'm not sure about the health/safety of either of those. Usually you want to avoid aluminum.

You need a couple of pots in different sizes, a skillet, baking sheet and baking pan or casserole dishes. One thing you might look for is wide, shallow saucepans because in addition to being pots, they can double as skillets. This is what I have. And my largest pot can also be a roasting pan for something like a roast or small turkey.

For a steamer, get an insert to fit inside of a pot used on the stove. They are available in stainless steel and silicone. $10 or less.

There's a lot more info in the pinned Food and Nutrition thread.