Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Charlotte_89

Grounds to test for food intolerance

I went to my doctor this morning in quest of a lactose intol test, She said lactose intolerance is v rare, and that if I went to a naturopath, I'd come out with diagnoses of candida, parasites and food intolerance. She said that some of them are utterly loopy, and that has alot of time for what they do so that's not her being mean. I disagree but I do now wonder if it's all in my head!?

The things that made me think I have an intolerance are:

- Before 3 months antibioitcs, constantly had big red bumps & inflammations directly between the eyebrows, nothing would heal them/new ones would come

- Constant red tip of nose

- When I was a child I had a blocked up nose for 3 years that no one could explain or cure, got less and less bad as I grew up, and now is fine

- Dark circles despite sleeping well & drinking loads of water

Some past symptoms such as nausea, muscle ache, headache that now rarely happen, other than the nausea, so shes testing me for some other things. But I'm just not convinced.

Does it sound like grounds to test for food intolerance or anything else? What are the things you should look for?? And if my skin (i thought) dramatically improved after cutting out all milk products, could that have been a placebo do you think?

I'm under the impression that lactose intolerance is becoming more and more common. Also, remember that if you get tested and it comes out negative, you can also have an intolerance for milk protein. I thought for some time that I couldn't handle dairy, but then I cut wheat from my diet, and now I can have dairy without problems. Dairy products are, as I understand it, generally hard for the digestive system to handle, and if it's not a 100% because it's getting something else that it doesn't want, it may react when you have dairy.

The placebo effect is always possible. There are lactose intolerance tests (whiff test, blood measuring, etc). Some races are more prone to lactose intolerance. The older one gets, the more likely lactose intolerance becomes. Lactose intolerance doesn't seem all that rare though. Note the definition.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lactose-intolerance/DS00530 That's good reading. Enjoy!

I went to my doctor this morning in quest of a lactose intol test, She said lactose intolerance is v rare, and that if I went to a naturopath, I'd come out with diagnoses of candida, parasites and food intolerance. She said that some of them are utterly loopy, and that has alot of time for what they do so that's not her being mean. I disagree but I do now wonder if it's all in my head!?

The things that made me think I have an intolerance are:

- Before 3 months antibioitcs, constantly had big red bumps & inflammations directly between the eyebrows, nothing would heal them/new ones would come

- Constant red tip of nose

- When I was a child I had a blocked up nose for 3 years that no one could explain or cure, got less and less bad as I grew up, and now is fine

- Dark circles despite sleeping well & drinking loads of water

Some past symptoms such as nausea, muscle ache, headache that now rarely happen, other than the nausea, so shes testing me for some other things. But I'm just not convinced.

Does it sound like grounds to test for food intolerance or anything else? What are the things you should look for?? And if my skin (i thought) dramatically improved after cutting out all milk products, could that have been a placebo do you think?

Lactose intolerance is extremely common, I don't know why your doctor said that!

Do you experience any bowel problems? I think they're the main grounds for getting a food intolerance test.

Before my acne I had severe IBS since I was 7 (I'm 19 now)........doctors did lots of tests through the NHS and found nothing and even told my parents that I could be making it all up!!

So I had a food intolerance test done, turns out I was Lactose, Gluten + Yeast intolerant (pretty much what we'd already figured out, but the test confirmed it)

I recommend http://www.yorktest.com/ , if you have no luck with your doctor.

They're the best in the UK. Good Luck.

Thanks for the replies and websites guys :angel: . My familys of irish british descent, so I would've thought I'd be alright with milk, really. And troubled boy, I have looked at that York testing before, I found it through a 'What doctors don't tell you' subscribtion, is it not really expensive though? I don't experience bowel problems now but have in the past, I was told I had IBS and even went for a colonic, which seemed to take the pressure off, despite my doctor telling me they have been proved a hoax by the medical community. There's too many conflicting advices everywhere, so confused!

I guess the only way forward is tests...

Well, it might not be as common in England but I doubt it's rare. We are of English, German and eastern European descent yet my sister is lactose intolerant.

The best way to determine a food intolerance is to avoid the food for several weeks. And then move on to other foods to test for intolerance. Or follow a very hypo-allergenic diet for several weeks and gradually add foods back in.

Also, if you have IBS, you should also consider avoiding gluten.

all i did was ask my regular doctor and he gave me a referral to an allergist and they performed the tests. he was hesitant telling me food allergies "may not" be a cause but kept on going back and forth. in the end, they can't deny you getting tested.

cutting out milk is the most known allergy with acne. if you are lactose intolerant, you will know. you get stomach cramps, bloating, etc. mine didn't even come up on my allergy test! but i knew i was allergic.

I do get painful cramps sometimes but at random times in the month so not hormonal. I'm gonna pay for a test I think, It's too hard to be motivated to avoid something if you don't know that you need to.... It's just annoying that milk is in chocolate! alternativista thanks for the advice, i'm already following it. mostly...wheat free bread just tastes so much nicer! :angel:

Since we are talking about dairy, does it matter if it's 2% or 1%?

I eat a lot of lowfat yogurt 1% milkfat and I don't really have any problems with it, but yesterday I ate some granola cereal with 2% milk and I had terrible stomach pain and diarrhea. It was terrible.

If you were talking about congestion in the nose, I have had that for almost a year now. At some point it started and never went away..

I think maybe you should consider a second opinion. I find lactose intolerance to be fairly common.

I also thought that I had a problem with milk, but it didn't make sense, because I was okay with cheese, yogurt, ice cream. It was wheat. (Yeah, what did I eat with milk? Cereal.)

I agree that I'd look at dairy, wheat and yeast. See an allergist. Bring a comprehensive *written* list of complaints and concerns.

Good luck!

It has nothing to do with the percentage of fat. A lot of people with lactose intolerance find that they can cope with cultured products such as yogurt, which is logical, seeing as they're lower in lactose. Firm cheese like cheddar is also good.

Oh, actually, indirectly it does have something to do with the percentage of fat. Cream has no lactose, just fat, for example.

Since we are talking about dairy, does it matter if it's 2% or 1%?

I eat a lot of lowfat yogurt 1% milkfat and I don't really have any problems with it, but yesterday I ate some granola cereal with 2% milk and I had terrible stomach pain and diarrhea. It was terrible.