Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Murmur

Stopping progesterone!

So yesterday I had an ultrasound and apparently I have two ovarian cysts. My hormonal issues have been ongoing, although my skin is clear these days... but obviously I'm still struggling with other stuff despite the substantial progress I've made.

My doctor is taking me off of the progesterone because we suspect my body may be converting some of it to estrogen or something, which I DO NOT need. Will know more when I get my bloodwork back in 2 weeks.

So, I'm sticking with my diet but I'm going SUPER STRICT -- no sugary fruits, no starches, etc. I also started supplementing with iodine yesterday, which is supposed to be really helpful for thyroid and cyst stuff... which is what I'm dealing with now.

So we'll see what happens. I hope I stay clear. I'm only just starting to learn about iodine but it seems pretty amazing so far. I wonder if this cyst on my left ovary (which my doctor said he suspects may have been there for a long time -- dunno all the details yet though) may have been somehow contributing to my acne. It's weird because it's a left-sided solid cyst and I always had my worst breakouts on my left cheek. Wondering if there's a connection.

Anyway I'll let you guys know how it goes with the iodine. I'm kind of emotionally exhausted and tired of being my own guinea pig... BUT, I've come a LOOOOONNNG way, so I'm not giving up yet.

Are you taking iodine because your doctor recommended it for your condition?

If not, don't take it for acne. It is implicated in contributing TO acne.

Are you taking iodine because your doctor recommended it for your condition?

If not, don't take it for acne. It is implicated in contributing TO acne.

Yes, I'm taking it for low thyroid and cystic ovaries, and my doctor approves.

I know some people say it makes their acne worse but I've read about folks who broke out at first and then experienced dramatic clearing.

My acne has to do with underlying hormonal and thyroid imbalance. If the iodine can help me to correct those problems, I can't imagine it would make my skin worse in the long run. We'll see what happens!

Last year during all the discussions on this, I read one doctors recommendation that you not apply progesterone over any fatty parts of the body like the stomach where they often tell you to put it because it can get stored in the fat and you end up with too much progesterone. The doctor said try the wrist or back.

Also, I took a thyroid supplement with iodine for a while. And now my multi has the RDA of iodine. It did not break me out. I too have read posts from people who cleared with iodine supplements.

good luck. i started taking spirulina once [which is a source of iodine] and i broke out horribly. literally overnight i got 12 new zits. however, i too have read great things about iodine therapy for acne at curezone but some people can't handle the hardship it puts on their skin. :/

i personally avoid it now but everyone is different.

I'm SO sorry to hear about that, Murmur! I had an ultrasound appointment made last week to check for ovarian cysts - my doc is curious because i have alot of PCOS symptoms, so she ordered one - maybe once again we'll be in the same boat. I don't blame you for being emotionally exhausted....but hopefully this all seems easier to handle with clear skin.

Do you know what sort of treatment your doctor will use yet?

Good luck!

Hey guys!

deadonfive, iodine and a strict low glycemic, nutrient-dense paleo diet are my treatments of choice! My doc agrees that I need to really focus on my diet. Hopefully the solid cyst on my left ovary won't need to be removed... I'm anxiously awaiting the results. I tend to think most surgeries can be avoided and I'll do whatever I need to do lifestyle-wise in order to avoid anything invasive. You'll have to let me know how your stuff goes too.

The good news is I've been on my fruit-free diet for several days now and my skin is looking really good. Actually better than it was two weeks ago. And the iodine seems to be agreeing with me so far.

In the meantime, at least I'm getting closer to the ROOT of all these problems, and hopefully I'll be able to live a bioidentical-free life from here on out!

Hi --

Just wanted to update for those of you who are interested in the bioidentical hormones and whatnot. I went back on the progesterone and I'm currently still on it at a lower dose. I feel great. My ovarian cysts resolved on their own.

I continue to watch my diet, stress levels, exercise, etc. Overall my skin has stayed clear. When I do break out, I can easily attribute it to recent laziness with diet or temporarily increased stress levels. The zits I do get aren't nearly as severe as they used to be, and the tiny little bumps on my forehead which plagued me since I was about 14 seem to finally be gone for good (I'm almost 27 now). Having a smooth forehead still feels like a luxury, even though it's been smooth for about a year now!

Hope you're all doing well too!

Hey Murmur,

Good to hear from you :) This is Leah... I just changed my display name.

I wanted to ask you about bioidentical hormone dosing... What doses of estrogen and progesterone did you take when you first started? And what days of the month did you use them?

I'm supposed to be starting bioidenticals soon, but I think the doses my doc prescribed are pretty high, so I'm a little worried about it. Then again, I haven't had a period in several months, so maybe I do need the higher doses. But I'm still curious to know how it compares to what you were taking...