Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Survivor540

Acne diet conflicting with willpower and family values?

I have read all these truly amazing posts about people getting clear and having a strict diet. I wish I had that willpower and family support. However, I was raised in a family of Sicilian immigrants (almost all the men are fishermen none-the-less) and they always raised me to believe that I was an abomination if I was a vegetarian and didn't eat "real" pasta and bread (i.e. white varieties). I do love my meats and other white Italian staples, but I want to be perfectly clear. Any advice on developing an effective anti-acne diet without my family thinking of me being an abomination (I'm different enough from them already, this is something I really don't want any more of)

Just say you REALLY want to lose weight. LOl kidding. I'm sure if you're truthful and explain you want to rid of acne, they'll understand.

I've read about some people getting rid of meat and clearing up so that's where I got the idea. I understand how that unhealthy (I probably would never in a million years be able to be a vegetarian). What IS a healthy anti-acne diet though?

I've read about some people getting rid of meat and clearing up so that's where I got the idea. I understand how that unhealthy (I probably would never in a million years be able to be a vegetarian). What IS a healthy anti-acne diet though?

Unfortunately, nobody really knows what an anti-acne diet should be! Many people have success with low-carb, or low-GI, or low-sugar.

Since your family wants you to keep eating certain things, why not start small: instead of taking away food groups, try adding things that are healthy for your skin, like green smoothies, antioxidant-rich foods, and nutritious vegetables (I've never heard of a parent who objected to their child eating more vegetables). Make whatever adjustments to your diet that you can while you're at home, and note what effects they have, while continuing to search for other ways to treat your skin besides diet.

And then, once you're old enough, go to college in California where you can eat all the obscure health foods you want ;)

My family used to eat pasta every night for maybe at least 4 days a week. How about eating more healthy fish and meats?

Guest missyjean130

You need to COMMUNICATE with your family and try to get them to understand your feelings on this. It hurts to have acne...emotionally and physically. You need to tell them this. They're your family,and they do care about you..so I'm sure it will all work out.

If they say this diet stuff is full of crap, then show them the science and work with them on it. Say you're going to at least TRY it,no harm in trying right?

People are very proud of their heritage so just be sure to reconfirm your love of your background and be culturally sensitive when speaking to them about this.

I wish I could helpmore, hope everything works out for you!

just tell them your going on a diet. plain and simple. eat more meat and fish its not that hard and just avoid pasta. you can eat it once a week im sure thats fine. and who said that you had to become a vegetarian?

I know how it is with Italian family members--when I was younger, I would be encouraged to eat seemingly pounds and pounds of pasta and bread with each meal, and I was showered with lines like "He has such a good appetite."

Just tell them that it's important to you to cut out parts of your diet to see if it can improve your acne, and if it doesn't, you'll go back to eating it.

How about avoiding sugary foods and drinks? Anyone protesting that? And eating more veggies? Eating less/smaller servings of pasta and bread and more real foods? Although at some point you really should try avoiding gluten and dairy to make sure you aren't intolerant to them.

Also, it is not unhealthy to not eat meat.

A healthy anti-acne diet consists of nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory, blood sugar stabilizing meals that don't include anything you personally have an intolerance for.

Arguable.

(Not that I'm about to argue about it...)

Arguable.

How is it arguable. Vegetarianism can lead to vitamin deficiencies. If you need to take vitamins on a diet it is obviously not a way humans are supposed to eat.

Arguable.

How is it arguable. Vegetarianism can lead to vitamin deficiencies. If you need to take vitamins on a diet it is obviously not a way humans are supposed to eat.

We are talking about not eating meat, not about 100% veganism. And all diets can lead to vitamin deficiencies. The average diet, for example.

Your family needs to be supportive! Explain to them how you feel and I'm sure that will make a world of difference. surroundings are uber important when trying to make any kind of lifestyle change, as you need as much support as you can get.

instead of going cold turkey from everything, try:

whole wheat pastas

whole wheat bread

whole wheat rice

water water water and lots of it!!

FISH.... it is SOOO healthy for you in moderation! (i personally wish i liked fish.)

pork

chicken

if you are going to eat any of these, make sure you use low-fat margarine in place of butter or oil, or Pam, which has minimal calories per spray when cooking.

I know what you mean! Everytime I try to eat strictly my dad thinks I'm anorexic and trying to be skinny and then he tells me what I'm learning online is poison.

I know what you mean! Everytime I try to eat strictly my dad thinks I'm anorexic and trying to be skinny and then he tells me what I'm learning online is poison.

Meanwhile, the real poison is the unhealthy junk so many parents serve their kids.