Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
melbelle

Just prescribed Sprio ... some questions

Hello all,

I just joined today. My dermatologist prescribed Spiro for me yesterday so I wanted to do a little research and this board looks like it has a lot to offer for information.

I did a course of Acutane in 2006 for 5 months. It cleared up my skin but the acne came back a year later. The Acutane also caused a lot of hair thinning so I most likely wouldn't consider doing a second course of it, and my dermatologist never offered to prescribe a second course. So Spiro seems to be the next step. Just a little more information. I'm 21 and have dealt with acne since I was 10. I've done antibiotics, tons of topical medications, and I'm so over acne and incredibly frustrated.

So a few questions about Spiro:

1. I've taken Yasmine before, but didn't notice much of an improvement with the acne and I don't like BC in general. My derm. didn't say I should take the Spiro with a BCP but would you guys recommend this? I actually have a couple months worth of Jasmine left over, so going back on it is not a problem if Spiro definitely works better with it.

2. I read a few posts on here that Spiro causes hair thinning. I actually freaked out a little when I read this. Hair thinning is definitely a deal breaker for me. As much as I want clear skin, I'm not willing to sacrifice my hair for it! So how many of you have experienced hair thinning while on it? Is this something I should be seriously worried about?

3. What criteria does your dermatologist use for prescribing antibiotics? When I went to my derm. yesterday I was actually hoping she would put me on antibiotics because they do work really well for me. She also told me 3 months ago if my acne wasn't getting better then that would be the next step (had it written down in her notes too). But yesterday she said my acne wasn't bad enough even though I've started getting small cystic acne again and my whole chin, temple, and parts of my cheeks are broken out. So I'm definitely frustrated. I have other friends who go on antibiotics with skin that looked line mine, and I honestly am starting to wonder if I should look into a different dermatologist. If I'm not happy with the Spiro this may be my next step.

If you got through all of that congrats lol ;)

Melbelle <3

sorry i only kindof skimmed through your questions...but you really should give spiro a try. it's better than antibiotics. i think your derm said not to take spiro with a bcp because yaz already has some of the same ingredients as spiro (or something along those lines..) so it'd be pointless. i took spiro for 6/7 months and i experienced no hair thinning and have never heard that. i don't think you should worry about that. i had no side effects besides having to pee more and i think i lost a couple pounds on it. spiro really really helps with hormonal/cystic acne. just give it a try..it may take a month or two to really start working but stick with it. don't give up hope!

sorry i only kindof skimmed through your questions...but you really should give spiro a try. it's better than antibiotics. i think your derm said not to take spiro with a bcp because yaz already has some of the same ingredients as spiro (or something along those lines..) so it'd be pointless. i took spiro for 6/7 months and i experienced no hair thinning and have never heard that. i don't think you should worry about that. i had no side effects besides having to pee more and i think i lost a couple pounds on it. spiro really really helps with hormonal/cystic acne. just give it a try..it may take a month or two to really start working but stick with it. don't give up hope!

Same here. I'm 31yrs old and my acne started in 5th grade! I tried so many things and saw various derms but nothing really worked. As I got older my skin improved but I still would get awful flareups during my menstrual cycle, times of stress/anxiety, and when I ate or drank dairy products. My skin did clear up when I was expecting my children but the breakouts started again shortly after giving birth.

I was prescribed spiro and it's the only thing that cleared up my skin and kept it clear. I stopped taking it the first time b/c I thought my acne was gone but unfortunately the flare-ups started several months later. The last time I was on it, my skin cleared up again and the nasty breakouts stopped but I ran into some health issues (not related to spiro) and I decided I wanted to try aq natural alternative.

I found that my skin was looking good while taking Omega pills and Alpha Lipoic acid (though it was in better condition when on spiro) but I recently stopped taking those (laziness I guess) and now I'm going through a terrible breakout. I'm ready to go back on spiro again! Also, the side-effects I experienced were headaches my first week or two and going to the bathroom more often. My hair is already thin and the spiro didn't make it any worse. In fact,. I think it helped that problem too.

Hi

Been on spiro for nearly 3 months cleared skin by 2.5 months but with many red marks around mouth and chin - breaking out today as due my 3rd period since starting. Bit disappointed with that but not as bad as would have been and expecting it to get lees each month.

Antibiotics are not a good long term option so I would definitely give spiro a try and stick with it for at least 3 months. It is likely to take that long for improvement (although some have results sooner). Make sure you are on at least 100mg - may need to build up to this over a few weeks - and drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day. You may need to pee more and may experience dizziness, fatigue and headaches - persevere as this will improve as your body adjusts.

You can take with Yasmine - but it will work on its own if you don't want an additional med.

Good luck

dizzyblonde

if you can get them to give you antibiotics while you're starting on spiro, i'd recommend it. i've been on it for about 2.5 months, and my acne is about 10x worse than it's ever been. last time i went in, she prescribed me some antibiotics to try to control the breakouts while the spiro starts to work. i wish i'd've asked for antibiotics right at the outset, at the first sign that the spiro wasn't going to help immediately.

Thanks for all the replies. I actually just got my Spiro today (I'm in college so my mom had to fill the prescription and send it to me for insurance reasons). Anyways, I just took my first pill a couple of hours ago. I'm on 100 mg a day and I'll have to work on drinking more water. Although when I'm in class I try not to drink too much right before or I'll have to get up in the middle of lecture to use the restroom- I guess I'll be going earlier for aisle seats from now on lol. So I'm hesitantly optimistic and I'll keep you guys updated!

Thanks for all the replies. I actually just got my Spiro today (I'm in college so my mom had to fill the prescription and send it to me for insurance reasons). Anyways, I just took my first pill a couple of hours ago. I'm on 100 mg a day and I'll have to work on drinking more water. Although when I'm in class I try not to drink too much right before or I'll have to get up in the middle of lecture to use the restroom- I guess I'll be going earlier for aisle seats from now on lol. So I'm hesitantly optimistic and I'll keep you guys updated!

Not sure if anyone cares but just thought I'd post a little update :cool:

I've been on the Spiro for about 2 weeks now. I think my face cleared up a little the first week, but then I got my period, and *wham* face broke out like crazy ... but I'm at the end of my period right now and my face has gotten pretty clear really quickly (still a few little trouble spots but they're drying up). So over all I'm encouraged. My face usually takes a good week or more to clear up after my cycle, so the fact that it has only been broken out for a few days and is already getting better is definitely a good sign :D

Hopefully it will keep improving ...

Please do continue to drink more water, and I wish you luck with the spiro! :)