Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
computergirl

Accutane Ruined my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My assh**e doc put me on Accutane for some blackheads I had on the sides of my nose and cheeks. I thought this might be overkill and asked him if he was sure it was safe. He said totally safe just don't get pregnant while on it. Great I went on 40 for 5 months my skin looked so good blackheads puirged and the enlarged pores caused by them shrunk. I never looked better. I had brown and red spots on my skin so I had to push it and wanted these gone. The doc said we should do an IPL. Went I a went to book IPL that doc was booked so I went to another doc for the IPL. I was only off Tane for 2 months and I know that you are not supposed to do any tpye of laser for at least 6 months after Tane but the doc said thatthat the IPL was safe. While after little less than two months after the IPL I stated scaring. That was July 20 2008 and I still have not stopped scaring. My whole texture of my skin has changed I got pock marks turning uyp where I never had acne and my poresare all scarring.

Needless to say I am a totla wreck I am trying to get a lawyer to take my case but it seems that if you don't look totally like a burn victim they don't want to take your case. When I went back to the first Doc that put me on Tane and he saw only a few of my scars he said I had a $100,000 law suit that was many scars agI am much worst now but thew lawyers say that they have to spend $40,000 and 4 to5 years working on the case so it is not worth it for them

At first I wanted to sue the doc who did the IPL because he should have known not to do it just 2 months after tane. Now I want to sue the Doc who put me on Tane as well. Tane is suposeed to be only used in extreme cases of cystic nodule acne that has been resistent to all other methods.

This bastard put me on it for blackheads!!!!!!!!!! He never told me of the risks of further scaring and that Tane changes your skin for years and years!! Ther are people on this board reporting scaring where they never would have scarred 5 years off Tane.

If I was told that I would have never opted to take it. As I understand it there is such thibg as conformed consent or something like that the doc is responsible to tell you of all the side evffects befohand.

I was wondering if you think I have a case against either doctor. Do you know of any cases where people sued for being damaged but Tane in this manner and won. I am sooo scarred up I am suicidal can't work can't leave the house don't look in the mirror for days at a time.

Someone wrote me and said that if I got scaring no matter how minor I would be able to sue this I am not fonding to be true. I just can't believe these doctors would be this reckless with people's lives just for a dollar and I can't believe that they can ruin someones life and the person can't do anything about it.

Please advise if you have any info on this matter

Amy

Edited by Wynne
add:' IPL two months after stopping Accutane'

I feel bad for you...but you should have done your research if you knew that you weren't supposed to have IPL then why would you go get it done?

My assh**e doc put me on Accutane for some blackheads I had on the sides of my nose and cheeks. I thought this might be overkill and asked him if he was sure it was safe. He said totally safe just don't get pregnant while on it. Great I went on 40 for 5 months my skin looked so good blackheads puirged and the enlarged pores caused by them shrunk. I never looked better. I had brown and red spots on my skin so I had to push it and wanted these gone. The doc said we should do an IPL. Went I a went to book IPL that doc was booked so I went to another doc for the IPL. I was only off Tane for 2 months and I know that you are not supposed to do any tpye of laser for at least 6 months after Tane but the doc said thatthat the IPL was safe. While after little less than two months after the IPL I stated scaring. That was July 20 2008 and I still have not stopped scaring. My whole texture of my skin has changed I got pock marks turning uyp where I never had acne and my poresare all scarring.

Needless to say I am a totla wreck I am trying to get a lawyer to take my case but it seems that if you don't look totally like a burn victim they don't want to take your case. When I went back to the first Doc that put me on Tane and he saw only a few of my scars he said I had a $100,000 law suit that was many scars agI am much worst now but thew lawyers say that they have to spend $40,000 and 4 to5 years working on the case so it is not worth it for them

At first I wanted to sue the doc who did the IPL because he should have known not to do it just 2 months after tane. Now I want to sue the Doc who put me on Tane as well. Tane is suposeed to be only used in extreme cases of cystic nodule acne that has been resistent to all other methods.

This bastard put me on it for blackheads!!!!!!!!!! He never told me of the risks of further scaring and that Tane changes your skin for years and years!! Ther are people on this board reporting scaring where they never would have scarred 5 years off Tane.

If I was told that I would have never opted to take it. As I understand it there is such thibg as conformed consent or something like that the doc is responsible to tell you of all the side evffects befohand.

I was wondering if you think I have a case against either doctor. Do you know of any cases where people sued for being damaged but Tane in this manner and won. I am sooo scarred up I am suicidal can't work can't leave the house don't look in the mirror for days at a time.

Someone wrote me and said that if I got scaring no matter how minor I would be able to sue this I am not fonding to be true. I just can't believe these doctors would be this reckless with people's lives just for a dollar and I can't believe that they can ruin someones life and the person can't do anything about it.

Please advise if you have any info on this matter

Amy

Yep, they ruined many of lives, some people have permanent life long illness from it. ...problem is that you signed the papers that protects the doctor....Can't sue Roche they state mechnisms unknown....Only lawsuits for Accutane I have ever seen won are for IBD/Chron's.

It's gonna countinue to be that way too as long as doctor's get away without following guidelines. Continue prescribing outside of guidelines.

That derm that did the IPL though should of known not to do it after being off accutane for only 2months. did you ask him about how it mentions to wait till 6months-1year after.

Though you knew it stated that, It still should of been the derm's responsiblity to say no that you have to wait and not tell you it was okay. It's all about the money for some, Alot don't have thier paitients best intrest at heart.

I am soo sorry. You should post this in the negative pinned thread. :(

I'm so sorry that happened to you. But, unfortunately all that paperwork you signed before you started the Accutane stating that you understand the risks listed will probably end up covering the doctor who prescribed you the Accutane. That's why it's called informed consent. It basically means that the doctor is not responsible for anything that happens to you while on the drug because you were told the risks before taking it. However, you may have a case against the doctor that did the IPL. Provided that you fully disclosed to him that you were only two months off the Accutane. Have you tried looking for a pro-bono attorney? Maybe they might take your case. Good luck.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. But, unfortunately all that paperwork you signed before you started the Accutane stating that you understand the risks listed will probably end up covering the doctor who prescribed you the Accutane. That's why it's called informed consent. It basically means that the doctor is not responsible for anything that happens to you while on the drug because you were told the risks before taking it. However, you may have a case against the doctor that did the IPL. Provided that you fully disclosed to him that you were only two months off the Accutane. Have you tried looking for a pro-bono attorney? Maybe they might take your case. Good luck.

Wow, that's awful. I'm amazed that your doctor prescribed Accutane just for blackheads and didn't say anything about possible side effects. Did you have to sign paperwork or read any information about the drug? In the US, there's a lot of paperwork to get through before you can start your treatment.

When you got the IPL done, did they ask if you had been on Accutane previously? The previous poster is right, they're definitely not supposed to do lasers after that.

I feel you,you have some scars

Meanwhile accutane gave me accutane induced eczema,intense flushing all the time,severe rocasea,and accutane induced lupus

I am on lupus medication right now

You can't blame Accutane for the faults of your doctors... first the doctor shouldn't have prescribed you accutane for minor blackheads, second you should've been careful enough not to get IPL and have told your other doctor about accutane... why would you go to two different derms, and not discuss your history?

If I was told that I would have never opted to take it.

The problem is, not many doctor is honest enough to warn their patients what accutane can do beside eliminating acne.

Well accutane didn't leave you with any undesired side effects did it? So why are you even wanting to sue the doctor who prescribed you accutane? You said you never felt better and were just left with brown marks and wanted to push it by going for IPL. So there wasn't anything bad that happened with accutane. Though I don't agree with the doctor for giving you accutane for mild acne but you have signed the form so there's probably no way to sue and besides you didn't suffer anything, on the contrary, you said it was amazing so the case would get thrown out. Also if you are in the states, the IPLEDGE that you signed for has already written that its meant for severe acne.

It seems like the main culprit for your situation was the IPL. This is going to sound harsh and you are probably going to bash me for it but part of the responsibility came from you. You already said you knew that you were not suppose to do an IPL but you wanted to push it so you already knew before you even went to the doctor that there is going to be a huge risk of destroying your skin if you went for IPL briefly after an accutane course. The doctor is wrong no doubt but you have some responsibility as well.

I'm sorry that this has happened to you but this looks like a case of not following guidelines and irresponsibility from both you and the derms not just the derms alone. Just giving you a reality check. Sorry if its sarcastic but this is the truth.

My assh**e doc put me on Accutane for some blackheads I had on the sides of my nose and cheeks. I thought this might be overkill and asked him if he was sure it was safe. He said totally safe just don't get pregnant while on it. Great I went on 40 for 5 months my skin looked so good blackheads puirged and the enlarged pores caused by them shrunk. I never looked better. I had brown and red spots on my skin so I had to push it and wanted these gone. The doc said we should do an IPL. Went I a went to book IPL that doc was booked so I went to another doc for the IPL. I was only off Tane for 2 months and I know that you are not supposed to do any tpye of laser for at least 6 months after Tane but the doc said thatthat the IPL was safe. While after little less than two months after the IPL I stated scaring. That was July 20 2008 and I still have not stopped scaring. My whole texture of my skin has changed I got pock marks turning uyp where I never had acne and my poresare all scarring....

You knew the risks; if you signed a waiver absolving the doctor of responsibility for damages due to recent Accutane usage I think you've no legal means for redress at least in the US.

You may have experienced lipoatrophy as well; this happens sometimes with IPL or other types of lasers, particularly in the earlier years. Look up lipoatrophy and see if the images resemble your experiences. There are treatments for lipoatrophy, including Sculptra injections.

Don't give up hope; you can look better again. Those of us who have scarred with acne know we'll never have perfect skin again but I myself would settle for another 25% improvement! That's about what I've already had with TCA CROSS and TCA Peel and daily retinoid use.

Can't sue in the U.S., Not only do you sign papers, but I requested my dictation from my derm the other day.

Two paragraphs was the whole dictation and it covers his a**....

Same two paragraphs in everyone of thoose dications. It was scripted.

No mention of any concerns I had about accutane and thier answers. NO mention of my complaints, nothing, even had the same lab result numbers for three months of the dictiation,

Yet my labs were not the same for thoose three months

Not to mention they put my diagnosis as Acne Vulgaris. I had three cysts the color of my skin. I don't think that is Acne Vulgaris.

This is how they get away with giving it to people who don't need it, by lieing in thier dictation and well you sign the papers. (it's hard for me to say that, esspecially having a husband as a dr.) So, that gives them the okay to say oh, you'll only get dry lips and some other dryness, oh sides aren't permanent, oh thoose are rare.....

Maddy001- I understand where your coming from.., but that doctor that did the IPL should of been honest and said NO, I cannot do an IPL 2 months after accutane and explained why.

computergirl-good luck with trying to fix your scars.

I agree that the doctor who did the IPL made a really bad call and let his patient down. I have no idea if there are grounds for legal action. This being America, land of the litigious, I expect a lawyer could be found to try to make a case.

I had IPL treatments done at a laser clinic last year, and they asked me all kinds of questions beforehand .... about Accutane use, topical retinoid use, prescription medications, tanning. They made it quite clear that wait times were important.

However, I also think that the OP needs to take responsibility for her decision. She knew she was supposed to wait 6 months after taking Accutane, and she went ahead with the procedure anyway.

Can't sue in the U.S., Not only do you sign papers, but I requested my dictation from my derm the other day.

No mention of any concerns I had about accutane and thier answers. NO mention of my complaints, nothing, even had the same lab result numbers for three months of the dictiation,

Not to mention they put my diagnosis as Acne Vulgaris. I had three cysts the color of my skin. I don't think that is Acne Vulgaris.

This is how they get away with giving it to people who don't need it, by lieing in thier dictation and well you sign the papers. (it's hard for me to say that, esspecially having a husband as a dr.) So, that gives them the okay to say oh, you'll only get dry lips and some other dryness, oh sides aren't permanent, oh thoose are rare.....

Maddy001- I understand where your coming from.., but that doctor that did the IPL should of been honest and said NO, I cannot do an IPL 2 months after accutane and explained why.

Lol this is hilarious, you're making it sound like all dermatologists are evil corrupt and greedy and want to hand out accutane like candy. That is so far from the truth. I had to go to 10 different dermatologists before I found one that would even prescribe me accutane.

Computergirl I am sorry this happened to you, but your case doesn't stand a chance IMO. You knew the risks of accutane. You also knew you weren't supposed to do IPL and yet you still did it anyway. You have to take responsibility for your own actions.

Lol this is hilarious, you're making it sound like all dermatologists are evil corrupt and greedy and want to hand out accutane like candy. That is so far from the truth. I had to go to 10 different dermatologists before I found one that would even prescribe me accutane.

Computergirl I am sorry this happened to you, but your case doesn't stand a chance IMO. You knew the risks of accutane. You also knew you weren't supposed to do IPL and yet you still did it anyway. You have to take responsibility for your own actions.

LOL,,,I am not going into my whole story, But first visit ever to a derm and bam they said accutane...three cysts.... I didn't seek out accutane

I didn't go derm hunting to 10 differnt ones for accutane. LOL.....should know someone's story before you Lol and speak...

good luck Moonbunny

Yeah I know it was very clear to me that you were offered accutane from the start. But the way you come across makes it seem like you are angry with the big bad dermatologist for tying you down and shoving accutane pills down your throat.

Acne vulgaris is defined as a common skin condition, caused by changes in the pilosebaceous units, skin structures consisting of a hair follicle and its associated sebaceous gland via androgen stimulation. Characterized by noninflammatory follicular papules or comedones and by inflammatory papules, pustules, and nodules in its more severe forms.

Considering he is the dermatologist with years of schooling and experience in the field, I would trust he could make such a simple diagnosis of a skin condition that at least half of the population experiences at one point or another.

Yeah I know it was very clear to me that you were offered accutane from the start. But the way you come across makes it seem like you are angry with the big bad dermatologist for tying you down and shoving accutane pills down your throat.

Acne vulgaris is defined as a common skin condition, caused by changes in the pilosebaceous units, skin structures consisting of a hair follicle and its associated sebaceous gland via androgen stimulation. Characterized by noninflammatory follicular papules or comedones and by inflammatory papules, pustules, and nodules in its more severe forms.

Considering he is the dermatologist with years of schooling and experience in the field, I would trust he could make such a simple diagnosis of a skin condition that at least half of the population experiences at one point or another.

I am not going to debate with you on someone's thread. I will say that No, I did not have acne vulgaris. No, I haven't experinced acne vulgaris.

I've seen pics. I don't need a definition having a husband for doc thanks.

How many people ask thier derm how many years they been in practice, how many search thier cerdintals online,see if they have been in trouble, or see if they have thier board licenses hanging on the wall....

P.S. just found out mine was just 3yrs out of residency when I went to see him, He was 40, so i figured he been in practice awhile....So much for lots of experince.

Mad at my derm, like I said you should read people's stories first, there's more to my story. He won't be prescribing accutane much longer I can assure you of that.

Good luck with your course Moon Bunny. :D

How many people ask thier derm how many years they been in practice, how many search thier cerdintals online,see if they have been in trouble, or see if they have thier board licenses hanging on the wall....

Um...I did! Call me paranoid, but it seems like a good idea to check these things before walking into a doctor's office you've never tried before. Five minutes on Google can save people a lot of stress later on. (oli girl, I'm not blaming you for this...I know hindsight is always 20/20)

I'm afraid the same applies to the OP. Google is your friend. Information about Accutane and laser treatments can be found in seconds, and it's no secret that you can damage your skin with lasers after treatment. I do feel bad for your situation, and I am still amazed that the doctors didn't check with you first. Your best bet now, I'm afraid, is to jump back on the internet and figure out what treatment options you can safely pursue from here.

ps. I think this thread title is a bit misleading!

If your derm prescribes you Accutane, then you'll get told to take the horror stories with a grain of salt, that you should trust your derm's expertise, since your derm is the M.D. who went through years of schooling, etc. But then if you take the Accutane, and you happen to end up one of the unlucky few who get screwed over, then you'll get blamed for not doing your own research.

If your derm prescribes you Accutane, then you'll get told to take the horror stories with a grain of salt, that you should trust your derm's expertise, since your derm is the M.D. who went through years of schooling, etc. But then if you take the Accutane, and you happen to end up one of the unlucky few who get screwed over, then you'll get blamed for not doing your own research.

lol, there is more than a little truth to that .... although this thread is not necessarily the best example.

lol, there is more than a little truth to that .... although this thread is not necessarily the best example.

No that sounds about right. No Derm ever mentioned to me that accutane could cause side effects AFTER treatment or that they were possibly permanant.

Bro, very few derm will be honest enough to tell their patients regarding side effects. If they did, then no one will dare to take accutane and so in turn they can't make money. Granted, there are some really good derms out there, but it is few and far. But I do agree that sometime it was the patients fault for not doing a research or ignore severe side effects even when they know it can happen.

I think it's all too true that very few derms explain the details of acne medications, whether it's Accutane, topical retinoids, or a lot of the other stuff they prescribe. I guess they expect people to read all of the material in very small type that comes with the medications.

Perhaps that's a fair expectation, but I definitely feel that derms (or someone in their offices!) should also spend time explaining to each patient how their medication works, how to use it, and what the potential side effects are.

All of that is very time-consuming though, and time is money. So in that aspect, I do agree that money comes into it.

I don't agree that derms want to prescribe Accutane just to make money, though. Surely they could make just as much money prescribing other treatments?

I think it's all too true that very few derms explain the details of acne medications, whether it's Accutane, topical retinoids, or a lot of the other stuff they prescribe. I guess they expect people to read all of the material in very small type that comes with the medications.

Perhaps that's a fair expectation, but I definitely feel that derms (or someone in their offices!) should also spend time explaining to each patient how their medication works, how to use it, and what the potential side effects are.

All of that is very time-consuming though, and time is money. So in that aspect, I do agree that money comes into it.

I don't agree that derms want to prescribe Accutane just to make money, though. Surely they could make just as much money prescribing other treatments?

I agree with alot of what you say LQ, and it does make sense.

As for derm wanting to prescribe accutane to just make money, I don't know... Maybe I am wrong, (I say that cause I was given accutane right off the bat) but how many other prescribe meds do you have to go see every month for 4,6,8 months?

Not only that I have seen plenty of Pharm Reps come in with nice gifts to doctors that prescribe thier meds alot. Send them for nice confrences etc...I have seen some other perks taken care of on thoose confrences.

Though, I know that Pharm Reps aren't sppouse to pay for dinners, and bring in goodies w/ thier logos or nice gifts anylonger. ( I believe as of 2009),

But amazingly my husband brought home two surgery books..cost about $ 400.00 a piece. asked where you get thoose, from a Pharm Rep. So I am sure they have ways around it.

Though I see it the other way around, Most repsonsible derms try other options first....and well only few fully get remisson from acne on accutane, So patient probably has to come back for regimen or other treatment options. Always trying to get rid of acne. :D

Doctors that go into dermatology have it pretty easy I might say.....

I agree completely there, but Derms really should be warning us about the full consequences. I mean come on, I had a brilliant course whilst on tane and thought I'd be fine for the rest of my life. For something to happen AFTER is just unfathomable. There are countless stories but I was never told of these latent defects that could set it.