Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Packerfan785

Can we debunk this?

The thought that toxins in our body cause acne.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it is just a combination of oil, dead skin, and bacteria?

I'm not saying diet doesn't effect acne (I certainly think it does), but I really need to clear this up.

acne is caused by three things:

1. clogged pores - this can occur from oversheding dead skin cells which is why acne is genetic to a lot of people. you can also clog your pores with poor hygeine, etc.

2. oil - bacteria loves oil. thats why acne is prevelant during puberty thats when your producing the most oil on your face. when a pore is clogged and theres oil, the acne bacteria feeds on this and this causes a pimple/infection

3. bacteria- pretty much what i said earlier. dont quote me on this but im pretty sure that EVERYONE has the same acne bacteria on their face, its the clogged pores and oil which sets up the conditions for a pimple

so if you treat one of those causes a pimple cannot appear. you cant stop your skin from oversheding and you cant strip all the oil off of your face no matter how hard you try. and im sure BP kills bacteria, but there will always be some bacteria left. the answer is treating all three of these causes. so you can exfoliate with baking soda to prevent clogged pores, and watch your diet and take supplements to reduce the amount of oil that your body produces.

Sweat releases toxins.. When I sweat more I get less acne. They may not be directly related, but I do things toxins contribute to acne

Sweat releases toxins.. When I sweat more I get less acne. They may not be directly related, but I do things toxins contribute to acne

I'm guessing it aids your liver which in turn is more apt to regulate your hormones which leads to less oil production.

Which toxins does sweat release? How are these toxins accumulated?

Which toxins does sweat release? How are these toxins accumulated?

Yeah, I think the word "toxins" is thrown around way too much. Sweat does contain some chemicals, like chlorides and urea, but there's nothing inherently "toxic" about these things and I don't think sweat is considered to be a release mechanism for them (nor does it have any effect on the liver that I'm aware of). Sweating may physically clear out some pores for you, though.

In general, I'm skeptical of the "toxins in the body" theory. Natural health products like to talk about "toxicity" because it sounds so dangerous, and yet they rarely specify what substances they're referring to, how they are measured, or why they are harmful. It's sort of a hand-wavey, mystical way of explaining the body that doesn't seem to match up with what science has found to be true.

Natural health products like to talk about "toxicity" because it sounds so dangerous, and yet they rarely specify what substances they're referring to, how they are measured, or why they are harmful. It's sort of a hand-wavey, mystical way of explaining the body that doesn't seem to match up with what science has found to be true.

Actually this is not true -- read the Hundred Lear Lie by Randall Fitzgerald. It's overflowing with hard science and plenty of specifics about the various toxins in our environment.

http://hundredyearlie.com/index.html

PCB's, bisphenol-A, aluminum, mercury, lead, bromine, chlorine, fluoride, perchlorate (a component of rocket fuel found in most women's breast milk), aspartame, sucralose, neotame, parabens, pthalates... to name but a FEW.

Go to that website, click on the "Slippery Slope Index," and read all five pages -- you'll see what I mean.

Natural health products like to talk about "toxicity" because it sounds so dangerous, and yet they rarely specify what substances they're referring to, how they are measured, or why they are harmful. It's sort of a hand-wavey, mystical way of explaining the body that doesn't seem to match up with what science has found to be true.

Actually this is not true -- read the Hundred Lear Lie by Randall Fitzgerald. It's overflowing with hard science and plenty of specifics about the various toxins in our environment.

PCB's, bisphenol-A, aluminum, mercury, lead, bromine, chlorine, fluoride, perchlorate (a component of rocket fuel found in most women's breast milk), aspartame, sucralose, neotame, parabens, pthalates... to name but a FEW.

Go to that website, click on the "Slippery Slope Index," and read all five pages -- you'll see what I mean.

Hey, thanks for the link. That's a fascinating website...kind of a statistician's nightmare. I wish we could separate all the variables out, and see whether the correlations hold up. I really like when people lay out all the facts like he does...reminds me of the book "Freakonomics" a little bit."

I definitely agree there are chemicals in our environment that can harm us; I object to the use of "toxins" as a general term without people backing up what it means. And ultimately, I'm not sure that toxins cause our acne.

Thanks for the website, it's very informative.

Like WhiterShade said, it's mostly troubling to see the word "toxin" being thrown around mindlessly. And it's terrible science, as well; you can easily use toxins to explain away any disease you'd like, without actually knowing what those toxins are.

WhiterShade and rakbs, I see what you're saying.

The word "toxins" is such an all-encompassing/nebulous term... I think we ARE talking about something very real and relevant but maybe it would help if we all started being a bit more specific.

Also I guess it would be good to "call out" the specific offenders anyway, from an awareness-raising standpoint.

I don't think it's as simple as one or two chemicals entering the body and then making a pimple form -- what happens, IMO, is that the liver and the endocrine system and all these other delicate organs and processes become congested and overwhelmed because they're working overtime trying to filter out all this CRAP that we're exposed to... and then things start to malfunction, and we see the imbalances manifesting in the form of acne, diabetes, cancer, migraines, allergies, etc.

And yeah, that Hundred Year Lie book is amazing, BTW. I really recommend reading it.

Supposedly they need a lot less formaldehyde to embalm a body these days because our bodies are already full of it.