Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MichaelCH

Working out and proteins

Hi

For about 9 months I've been going to the gym 3-4 times a week, but not yet very serious about getting bigger muscles :-) But since I've already seen improvement and gained 3kg (was 183cm 68kg 9 months ago, now 71) I want to continue this more serious now. I want to gain at least 3-5kg more. I will never be one of these guys who counts calories or pays attention to not eating too much fat etc. I just love eating far too much to be doing this..i eat quite healthy, not too fat, not too much sugar, but I always need my cereal with milk int he morning etc. And I'm always hungry :-)

But now since I want to gain muscle some friends gave me the advice to increase my protein intake. So far I guess the milk didn't cause my breakouts..I'm not 100% sure though. But I stopped once for one month (not all dairy products, but my milk in the morning) and nothing improved...even though some doctor once made a test and milk is one of the things my stomach doesn't digest that well.

So because of the additional protein I bought curd cheese with low fat and already wanted to start eating when I've read about all the bad acne experience from other "body builders"...and I threw the whole thing away ;-) So how much more protein would I need and where can I get it? Eating more chicken every day? Or just some buttermilk which is very low in fat and didn't cause any breakouts ever?

the easiest thing would be to just get a protein powder to make shakes out of

this means you can get the protein without the fat etc.

Just make sure you find a whey isolate, other forms of whey are full of lactose, which is what makes people break out.

I find as long as i stick to whey isolate, i am fine,

hope this helps

Hi, Here is a protein intake calculator:

It's important that the weight you input is your "ideal weight".

Another option for protein intake would be to supplement with whey protein powder or whey isolate protein powder if you have a casein sensitivity. Others may recommend Soy protein powder. Make sure you notice how the powder is sweetened.

To find out how much protein different foods have you can use a free service which breaks down the nutrition of many foods.

Regards, Sonja

Hey.

All you need to gain weight its to eat at least 6 or more meals per day, you have to be eating all day no matter what !

Eat fruits, cereal bars, bread between each big meal. The key is to eat all the day so you can cover more calories that your body needs. I think protein its bullshit, its just a stupid business, just eat a lot and im sure you will gain the 3 or 5 kgs you are looking for !

High protein is essential for bigger muscles but you cannot gain weight alone by drinking protein shakes since their calorie content isnt that high. Ive gained alot of weight by eating the regular 3 moderate sized meals a day but snacking heavily in between meals on high calorie dense foods such as almonds, peanuts, sunflour kernals, and whole grain breads and cereals.

Here you can track how many calories you want to eat at thedailyplate (website)

I'm like you i dont regularly count my calories but just do it for one day to see how your doing and how much more you need to eat. (Aim for at least 3500 calories a day).

I am naturally the "skinny guy". Trust me it works

Also i have to recommend rice dream milk to you if you can find it at a health food store, it tastes just like milk without the nasty coating in your throat and no lactose and it costs about the same price as normal milk. I put this in my shakes and in my cereal.

It's true you need extra protein when trying to build, but not as much as most magazines and product pushers would have you think. As long as you're getting about 1.5g protein/kg/day then you're getting enough. And as a pp said, it's really important that you're eating enough total calories, not just extra protein. I usually recommend adding 500 calories on top of what you're currently doing. More on days you do cardio/circuits. You can add calories with shakes since they're easy to make, but 500 calories is not that hard to do with food either. It's roughly a peanut butter and banana sandwich with a glass of soymilk. One thing I will add though is that you should try to get in a 2:1 ratio (carbs to protien) snack within an hour of your workout. Based on your kg, you should aim for something that will give you around 50g carb and 25g protein. Good luck, and congrats on what you've already gained!

In my personal experience, I noticed that exercising increases acne altogether. I also found that whey and soy protein increase acne as well. Vegetable protein is the best I could find. I never get an increase in my acne with this type of powder. For me, any dairy product will increase my acne.

In my personal experience, I noticed that exercising increases acne altogether. I also found that whey and soy protein increase acne as well. Vegetable protein is the best I could find. I never get an increase in my acne with this type of powder. For me, any dairy product will increase my acne.

Would a lactose free whey protein isolate avoid that problem?

Would a lactose free whey protein isolate avoid that problem?

Yes whey isolate has no lactose, so if you start to break out anyways it may just be from an increase testosterone