Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When I see someone with acne, I always wonder if they are self-conscious of it or not. That's as specific as I can go really.. (Serious rofl)

All I know is, deep in my mind I always say to them "You'll be ok mate."

They seem to be the best of people. The ones with acne.

Guest Chrisâ„¢
Be as specific as possible.

I saw a girl at the DMV's office today who had a bad case of acne. It looked moderate, and she wasn't even wearing make-up. I've seen people with acne before. Come on, I've been looking in the mirror for eight years. Seeing another person with acne isn't exactly a surprise.

This particular woman was very intriguing. I didn't stare at her, but I couldn't stop myself from glancing over at her. I was looking at a window to my life. Her mannerisms were the same as mine. She kept her head down like I used to. She pretended to text on her phone like I used to. I know the feeling of opening up the calender and typing in random events, to make it look like I wasn't alone. My social life didn't exist when acne was at it's worst, so I didn't want others to think I was isolated from the world. When she got to the front of the line, her head stayed down. She mumbled and nodded her head to the questions, and I could feel the awkwardness from where I was standing. The clerk probably passed her off as weird, but I know the truth. If this was a scene from a play based on my life, she gave a flawless performance. She was in my mind all day. Did I feel pity for her? Initially, yes. I've never wanted to hug a stranger before, but in my eyes, this wasn't a stranger. I wanted to comfort her. I wanted her to fall in my arms.

But then I remembered...I didn't want anyone's pity at my lowest. I can't speak for all acne sufferers, but all I wanted was to feel like I belonged. I didn't want to be pitied. I didn't want to be treated like an outcast. What I really wanted was to feel normal, and to be accepted. So, I saw my mistake. The only reason I wanted to comfort this woman was because of pity. Pity isn't what she needs. This woman needs to feel what it's like to be human again. She needed someone, anyone, to remind her that we are all the same. Her faith in society was lost, and I needed to remind her that I do accept her. I'm not going to treat her like she has a problem. I'm going to give her the kindness and compassion she deserves.

It's pretty amazing when you see someone who is just like you. I guess I was content with the fact that I turned out okay, and all I can do is hope she feels the same. One day.

Wow, I could write an essay on this question. To keep it short though, I'll just say that when I see someone with bad acne or scars, I feel like I already know them intimately without even speaking to them. I feel an instant connection with them on a deep level. I want to befriend them. I want to be around them and get to know them. I've seen several people before with bad acne or scars (like me) and I sometimes just think about them individually out of the blue. Even though most of the time me and them never even talked, I still sometimes think about how they are doing now and I hope they are doing well. I don't know, it's kind of weird. It's like a brotherhood of acne/scar sufferers lol. We're like an organization or gang or something but nobody has made it official yet. :lol:

That's what I think when I see someone else with acne or scars. What do I actually do when I see them? I treat them just like I would treat anyone that has clear skin. I don't let them know (verbally or with body language) that I sympathize with them, I don't give them any special treatment, and I don't try to make them feel good, although I certainly want to. Like you said, the last thing that they want or need is someone else pitying them. Even if it is coming from someone who has been through or is going through the same thing that they are. I know because I feel the same way about other people doing it to me.

I'll just say that when I see someone with bad acne or scars, I feel like I already know them intimately without even speaking to them. I feel an instant connection with them on a deep level. I want to befriend them. I want to be around them and get to know them.

You took my answer, lol.

Yeah, when I see someone with acne, I always say to myself "I know how you feel."

I'd like to just go up and hand him/her a piece of paper that says:

'acne.org - a friendly community of like-minded and understanding people who know what you're going through and want you to face your fears with dignity and self-respect'

and then fade back into the background.

WHEN I SEE SOMEONE WITH ACNE I SAY A LITTLE PRAYER FOR THEM. AND IF I EVER HEAR ANYONE MAKING FUN OF PEOPLE WIHT ACNE I WILL STAND UP FOR THEM. IW ILL NOT STAND FOR THAT. THIS IS A PAINFUL BATTLE. GO AHEAD MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE WITH ACNE, IF YOU HAVE NOT A FLAW!

As someone else said, I feel as if I already know them because I can relate. I want to hug them and give them advice if they look like they just want to disappear but ya know there are some people with acne who dont really care that they have it. They never hide, I wish I was like that.

There was a girl I was working with at a time who had more acne than me. I felt a connection and one day she came up to me out of the blue and started talking about a zit on her face. She didnt know what kind it was. I was like "its just a nodule I get them all the time just dont touch it and you will be fine." We somehow understood eachother thru our acne.

Mortal, I've noticed the same mannerisms from people. Not from people with mild, but from people with moderate to severe - the downed head, the glances at people to see if they were looking at him or her.

There are two women in particular that stand out to me. The first one worked in a Merle Norman store (make-up). She was absolutely beautiful, but even under all the make-up I could tell she had moderate acne. Some spots even had the tale-tell signs of crusty edges, but she never seemed to let on that it bothered her. She had lovely eyes, luscious lips, amazing hair, and a super cute figure. It's like she knew she was beautiful and her confidence definitely shined. The other lady I met while on a canoe trip. She had severe acne and didn't have on any make-up. She was quiet and seemed standoffish. I remember docking at the halfway point. She sat on the bank absentmindedly picking at her face. I felt so compelled to reach out to her and actually wanted to mention this site, but I didn't know her from a hill of beans so held back. I didn't want to offend or embarrass her.

I get what you're saying though. I do see it and it seems many acne sufferers share the same mannerisms.

There is a young girl in my Lit 1 class who has severe acne and scarring. This young lady does not wear makeup and I envy her. She's soft-spoken, but she does not hang her head down.

The first few weeks of class I noticed that her face was peeling and it was extremely inflamed, I think she was going through the initial side effects of accutane or some other treatment because the peeling was very obvious. Now the semester is almost over and I see that her face is healing and the redness and peeling is subsiding. One of the reasons why I attend class is to see what new progress her skin has made. I want to sit next to her in class and strike up a conversation with her, but I feel like I am betraying her. I feel like i'm hiding safely behind my mask (makeup) and she's coming to class everyday with her true face. I am an imposter.

I want to ask her what treatment she is using because her face is making progress everyday, she makes me want to come to class without makeup on.

Truthfully? You guys might not wanna hear this. But, whenever I see someone with acne, I definitely judge them. It's really bad because I have acne myself (it's fairly clear though nowadays). The clearer I get, the worse my judging gets. I feel just like the clear-complexion people making fun of kids with acne when I have these thoughts.

:/

But I do wish I could give them advice, but I know if someone said to come to this site, I'd be pissed, embarrassed, and mortified.

I also feel a connection with someone when I see they have acne, no matter the severity. Of course, if it's very mild I doubt I'd notice. Of course, after so many years of acne in one form or another, someone's skin is the first thing I notice about them. I do not judge, I observe. I think if you are particularly self-conscious about one element of yourself, then you immediately hone in on that exact same element when meeting everyone else for the first time.

I know this to be true because one of my good friends has struggled with her weight for the past couple years, and since last July has managed to lose a good 40 pounds, and keep it off. She always mentions weight when we meet someone for the first time, and I hardly notice. Everyone does that, because no one is perfect and even the most confident person is self-conscious about some aspect of themselves, and that is what they will hone in on.

Anyways, I can think of this one girl that I grew up with. She had moderate acne for a while, but then it flared up, quite severely. At first I felt bad for her because I knew that it must cause physical pain as well as emotional, but immediately thought to myself "That isn't what she wants, or needs. She needs a friend." And that's what I became for her. We never outright talked about our skin issues, but eventually her skin began to clear. She used Accutane and was left with scarring, but honestly, she dealt with it all and her attitude never changed. She was, and still is, a beautiful person, both inside and out.

I know that I used to be more reserved when my acne was at it's worst, and occasionally I see that in others. I want to hug them and tell them they are beautiful regardless, but that's not exactly appropriate. I just hope they find it within themselves to look in the mirror and see the beauty reflected back at them.

I don't feel pity, caus I know they'll be okay. I just wish from the bottom of my heart that their acne would go away. I don't know why.

^

Thats true, but when they got real mild stuff I sometimes feel alittle bitter, because mine was so bad? Thats silly though, just my anger coming out.

When I see a cute girl with bad acne i want to date them. Lame

I feel like I can understand them but at the same time I wonder do they feel self conscious. My acne doesn't really bother me until people either bring it up or I see my reflection. The thing that I feel worst about is that it gets me self-conscious and reminds myself I have a flaw straight on my face. It makes me want to cry sometimes and sometimes I do.

I work in retail and it's really very surprising how many people Dont have acne. Maybe once a month, I'll notice someone with moderate to severe acne, usually a young female. I feel bad that they are plagued with the same problem as me. Ugliness isnt much fun..

I saw a girl at the DMV's office today who had a bad case of acne. It looked moderate, and she wasn't even wearing make-up. I've seen people with acne before. Come on, I've been looking in the mirror for eight years. Seeing another person with acne isn't exactly a surprise.

This particular woman was very intriguing. I didn't stare at her, but I couldn't stop myself from glancing over at her. I was looking at a window to my life. Her mannerisms were the same as mine. She kept her head down like I used to. She pretended to text on her phone like I used to. I know the feeling of opening up the calender and typing in random events, to make it look like I wasn't alone. My social life didn't exist when acne was at it's worst, so I didn't want others to think I was isolated from the world. When she got to the front of the line, her head stayed down. She mumbled and nodded her head to the questions, and I could feel the awkwardness from where I was standing. The clerk probably passed her off as weird, but I know the truth. If this was a scene from a play based on my life, she gave a flawless performance. She was in my mind all day. Did I feel pity for her? Initially, yes. I've never wanted to hug a stranger before, but in my eyes, this wasn't a stranger. I wanted to comfort her. I wanted her to fall in my arms.

But then I remembered...I didn't want anyone's pity at my lowest. I can't speak for all acne sufferers, but all I wanted was to feel like I belonged. I didn't want to be pitied. I didn't want to be treated like an outcast. What I really wanted was to feel normal, and to be accepted. So, I saw my mistake. The only reason I wanted to comfort this woman was because of pity. Pity isn't what she needs. This woman needs to feel what it's like to be human again. She needed someone, anyone, to remind her that we are all the same. Her faith in society was lost, and I needed to remind her that I do accept her. I'm not going to treat her like she has a problem. I'm going to give her the kindness and compassion she deserves.

It's pretty amazing when you see someone who is just like you. I guess I was content with the fact that I turned out okay, and all I can do is hope she feels the same. One day.

Well written. But, it leaves me wondering. Did you end up talking to her in the way you spoke?

When I see someone with acne I see an ally. :P

P.S. I like your observation skills. I do that too. Interpret.

I work in retail and it's really very surprising how many people Dont have acne. Maybe once a month, I'll notice someone with moderate to severe acne, usually a young female. I feel bad that they are plagued with the same problem as me. Ugliness isnt much fun..

dang that's a shocker! all the ones I bump into are usually males. I wonder what the statistics are on that... Yeah I was a waiter for a while and I remember the way customers were about things. Like some of them, you could tell they were trying not to look. Others were so rude they would literally stare at your face or pick at a spot on their face where you had acne.

hey nike/mortal, you really have a way with words. A very honest writing style, along with SPIRITUAL observations that speak to the truth. Great post.

Whenever I see someone else with at moderate to severe acne, I am kind of happy to know that I am not the only one. I also feel like talking to them about it, and it would seem to be very comfortable.

The short answer: I feel like I can completely relate, and I feel like I know exactly what they're going through...

On a side note... you should definitely be a writer - hands down.

I used to not think anything at all, unless it was REALLY bad, I thought "that sucks"

But when I started reading all the stuff on this site I sometimes wondered how they felt.

Do they care about it as much as me? less than me? Have they tried all the stuff I have?

I kinda not do that anymore, it's none of my business. I can't help them anyway, i'm still here myself.

I don't feel a connection. I don't exactly feel bad for them either. I honestly think I judge them as if I had clear skin. But not to the point where I'm thinking if they use Proactive or not. Of course I know there doing something about it, but its either taking time or its not working.

It just reminds me that I have all these flaws on my face and I am also not attractive to the general public. Yeah low self-esteem right? I rarely see anyone with mild-severe acne. I do the same whenever I see someone with acne. I try not to stare. I always think "Damn, that sucks." But yet I'm (was)going through the same thing.

Well after about 3-4 years battling acne, its finally I'd say its 95% gone and now I'm left with the scars which are fading with the 40% Lactic acid peel I've been doing. Doing a 3rd peel tonight. Been seeing very good results. Wish me good luck.