Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well people, its been a very long time. I finally decided to come back and describe what has happened with me. I haven't actually sat down and thought out what to say or how to say it, so I hope it comes out okay.

About a year and a half ago, I noticed that what used to be rather mild, occasional breakouts had started to become more often and spreading (when I broke out on my neck behind my ears, I knew that I wasn't imagining anything). So I scoured the web and I came here. I decided to launch a campaign to cure my skin problems. I tried alot of things--It seems like I tried almost everything. I'm sure I've tried some far-fetched stuff, but I'm sure some of you have tried more. I was to the point that besides the really awful PIH that littered my face, I was getting a new zit or 2 or 3 about everyday. Sometimes, it improved. I could never pin down what would cause the temporary improvements.

Finally, around December, while travelling, I didn't have all of my usual lotions and stuff. Now, I was never really using the anti-acne stuff. I didn't think they worked...at least not what I could buy here where I live. BUT I was using anti-aging creams and cleansers. So, anyway, on the trip, I started to see improvement. So when I got home I started mostly only using the SIMPLE SPF 15 moisturizer that I had picked up on the trip and jojoba oil. I saw more improvements. I started checking the labels of moisturizers and cleansers. I ditched anything that had salicylic acid in it. (I even had make-up foundation with this in it!) I discovered that one of my anti-aging creams had a retinol type ingredient (I didn't know this, because it didn't used to...apparently they had changed formulas). I stopped using these things and saw improvement.

So then I decided to really heal my skin. I would NOT use anything on my face but jojoba oil and a generic version of Olay SPF15 All day moisture. I would NOT use a cleanser. The worst thing that could happen would be that I would break out...BUT I HAD ALREADY BEEN BROKE OUT CONSISTENTLY FOR A YEAR AND A HALF. I officially had NOTHING to lose.

I got a bar of aloe enriched olive oil soap and kept it by the sink to use maybe once a week if I felt the need. If my skin felt oily, I'd simply rinse with warm water and use the water to spread the oil around a bit. I realized that my own oils are there to help heal my skin, packed with vitamin E. If I didn't feel oily, I didn't do anything. If I felt dry, I'd use the jojoba oil. I used the moisturizer before makeup and sometimes just because I like the way it feels. If I started to feel like there was any kind of "build up" I'd wash with the soap (which was very moisturizing, not drying, due to the aloe). Usually the soap was only about once a week, or I'd use it just for removing mascara and nowhere else. Oh! As for makeup, I wear it and I'd usually take it off by putting ALOT of jojoba oil all over my face and rubbing it all around and rinsing with warm water. It'd remove the makeup and it'd leave my face moisturized for bed.

Here comes the hard part: PATIENCE. The hardest part was to not fall back into my old routine of trying everything in my bathroom. I had to tell myself every day that it takes 3 months to see a difference. What I DID see was that my face wasn't breaking out as often. When it would, I had the knowledge that it was just stuff coming to the surface and when it was over, that pore would be clean forever.

The results: I'm clear. I've not broken out substantially since I started this. Pores were still clearing up until last month. Now I just get the normal, average person maybe 1 zit per month. After about the first month and a half, I noticed a great reduction in the PIH. The ingredients in my anti-aging creams had kept all my marks very, very dark for a very long time. Any new marks fade faster. Well, its been about 4 months. I still have alot of old marks (one in particular was from Halloween timeframe--MAN it takes awhile for marks to fade!!). My skin may never be the same. I look back at pictures before this happened and I realize how even-toned I was. I really, really hope the marks fade this year. I also have scars. That is the worst part. I broke out bad for a year and a half and I have the scars to show it. Its a pity really.

I just hope that anyone who reads this might try this too, so that they can avoid the scars that I have. Oh how I wish I had known this earlier!! Anyway, doubt I'll check back in and I definitely won't give pictures or anything like this. If you don't want to believe me, fine. If you want to believe me, then you'll believe me without pictures. Remember, if you are already breaking out...you've got nothing to lose.

1. Throw out all creams and cleansers that are anti-acne or anti-aging.
  2. Get a simple but moisturizing soap with simple ingredients like: olive oil soap with aloe. But don't use it more than about once per week, if you are having build-up.
  3. Get jojoba oil
  4. Get simple spf moisturizer, if you want (you could just use jojoba)--the point is no anti-acne or anti-aging moisturizer
  5. If your face doesn't need to be washed: DON'T. If your face feels oily: use a little warm water on it. (Spread excess oil around. It is your body's way of healing you.) If your face feels dry: use a little jojoba oil.
  6. Jojoba oil makes a great makeup remover...use it, not a cleanser.
  7. BE PATIENT. It could take 3 months for every pore to purge. But you should see slowing of breakouts immediately in the first week or two.

Other than that, I was eating a regular diet for the first half of this process. But as of a month or two ago, I mostly eat a low-carb diet with alot of functional foods like dark chocolate and garlic, etc. I take a few supplements but they are not magical and I'm not religious about them and forget sometimes.

Well, I hope this can help someone. I doubt I'll answer anything here. I don't think I left anything out, just follow what I said and there should be no questions anyway. I'll be spending my time trying to figure out how to fix these scars (so far vit C, cocoa and a fatty diet seems promising).

Wow, I would like to try your routine..but, Im afraid my face would breakout horribly again..

Well people, its been a very long time. I finally decided to come back and describe what has happened with me. I haven't actually sat down and thought out what to say or how to say it, so I hope it comes out okay.

About a year and a half ago, I noticed that what used to be rather mild, occasional breakouts had started to become more often and spreading (when I broke out on my neck behind my ears, I knew that I wasn't imagining anything). So I scoured the web and I came here. I decided to launch a campaign to cure my skin problems. I tried alot of things--It seems like I tried almost everything. I'm sure I've tried some far-fetched stuff, but I'm sure some of you have tried more. I was to the point that besides the really awful PIH that littered my face, I was getting a new zit or 2 or 3 about everyday. Sometimes, it improved. I could never pin down what would cause the temporary improvements.

Finally, around December, while travelling, I didn't have all of my usual lotions and stuff. Now, I was never really using the anti-acne stuff. I didn't think they worked...at least not what I could buy here where I live. BUT I was using anti-aging creams and cleansers. So, anyway, on the trip, I started to see improvement. So when I got home I started mostly only using the SIMPLE SPF 15 moisturizer that I had picked up on the trip and jojoba oil. I saw more improvements. I started checking the labels of moisturizers and cleansers. I ditched anything that had salicylic acid in it. (I even had make-up foundation with this in it!) I discovered that one of my anti-aging creams had a retinol type ingredient (I didn't know this, because it didn't used to...apparently they had changed formulas). I stopped using these things and saw improvement.

So then I decided to really heal my skin. I would NOT use anything on my face but jojoba oil and a generic version of Olay SPF15 All day moisture. I would NOT use a cleanser. The worst thing that could happen would be that I would break out...BUT I HAD ALREADY BEEN BROKE OUT CONSISTENTLY FOR A YEAR AND A HALF. I officially had NOTHING to lose.

I got a bar of aloe enriched olive oil soap and kept it by the sink to use maybe once a week if I felt the need. If my skin felt oily, I'd simply rinse with warm water and use the water to spread the oil around a bit. I realized that my own oils are there to help heal my skin, packed with vitamin E. If I didn't feel oily, I didn't do anything. If I felt dry, I'd use the jojoba oil. I used the moisturizer before makeup and sometimes just because I like the way it feels. If I started to feel like there was any kind of "build up" I'd wash with the soap (which was very moisturizing, not drying, due to the aloe). Usually the soap was only about once a week, or I'd use it just for removing mascara and nowhere else. Oh! As for makeup, I wear it and I'd usually take it off by putting ALOT of jojoba oil all over my face and rubbing it all around and rinsing with warm water. It'd remove the makeup and it'd leave my face moisturized for bed.

Here comes the hard part: PATIENCE. The hardest part was to not fall back into my old routine of trying everything in my bathroom. I had to tell myself every day that it takes 3 months to see a difference. What I DID see was that my face wasn't breaking out as often. When it would, I had the knowledge that it was just stuff coming to the surface and when it was over, that pore would be clean forever.

The results: I'm clear. I've not broken out substantially since I started this. Pores were still clearing up until last month. Now I just get the normal, average person maybe 1 zit per month. After about the first month and a half, I noticed a great reduction in the PIH. The ingredients in my anti-aging creams had kept all my marks very, very dark for a very long time. Any new marks fade faster. Well, its been about 4 months. I still have alot of old marks (one in particular was from Halloween timeframe--MAN it takes awhile for marks to fade!!). My skin may never be the same. I look back at pictures before this happened and I realize how even-toned I was. I really, really hope the marks fade this year. I also have scars. That is the worst part. I broke out bad for a year and a half and I have the scars to show it. Its a pity really.

I just hope that anyone who reads this might try this too, so that they can avoid the scars that I have. Oh how I wish I had known this earlier!! Anyway, doubt I'll check back in and I definitely won't give pictures or anything like this. If you don't want to believe me, fine. If you want to believe me, then you'll believe me without pictures. Remember, if you are already breaking out...you've got nothing to lose.

1. Throw out all creams and cleansers that are anti-acne or anti-aging.
  2. Get a simple but moisturizing soap with simple ingredients like: olive oil soap with aloe. But don't use it more than about once per week, if you are having build-up.
  3. Get jojoba oil
  4. Get simple spf moisturizer, if you want (you could just use jojoba)--the point is no anti-acne or anti-aging moisturizer
  5. If your face doesn't need to be washed: DON'T. If your face feels oily: use a little warm water on it. (Spread excess oil around. It is your body's way of healing you.) If your face feels dry: use a little jojoba oil.
  6. Jojoba oil makes a great makeup remover...use it, not a cleanser.
  7. BE PATIENT. It could take 3 months for every pore to purge. But you should see slowing of breakouts immediately in the first week or two.

Other than that, I was eating a regular diet for the first half of this process. But as of a month or two ago, I mostly eat a low-carb diet with alot of functional foods like dark chocolate and garlic, etc. I take a few supplements but they are not magical and I'm not religious about them and forget sometimes.

Well, I hope this can help someone. I doubt I'll answer anything here. I don't think I left anything out, just follow what I said and there should be no questions anyway. I'll be spending my time trying to figure out how to fix these scars (so far vit C, cocoa and a fatty diet seems promising).

Congratulations on being clear.

I agree with what you're saying regarding chemicals on your face. But things like BP etc can be used in moderation to treat acne already there. Irritating your skin can make it worse, but not using products on your face is not a magical cure to acne.

As you've said, your diet has changed to a low-carb diet, I sincerely believe this is the biggest contributing factor in clearing your acne.

Once you treat your acne internally, external products can be avoided. So I think emphasis should be on your diet, if you continued to eat negatively whilst still not using products, I'm certain your acne would come back.

Hahaha! I'm just really happy to have clear skin. I don't care if you believe me or not. What I have described has cleared my skin. That's all. I'm just really, really happy and proud of myself everyday. Every day it just gets better and better.

I have changed diet, etc in the past without success. I've studied nutrition and interactions and nutrients and supplements. None of that worked. In fact, the past 2 weeks I fell off the wagon with my diet and restarted today. I didn't breakout because of it. Very simply, I don't put stuff on my face anymore and my face is so smooth (I just wish there weren't those old dark marks).

Your miles may vary my dears! If you have a better way than "doing nothing", then do it your way. I am not selling anything. I'm not selling a diet or a lotion or anything. I will change my diet again when I lose 4 kilos and I will still have clear skin. I am very happy to have resolved this and I hope some others will open their mind enough to see their solution, whatever it may end up being.

I'm just so very, very, very happy that this is behind me. I feel great! I feel like a normal person again, not a slave to any products or anything. I've saved a ton of money too! If for no other reason, try this way to save some money--if you are already broke out, you've got nothing to lose!!

Hahaha, I'm not even worried about my skin "aging" without the anti-aging stuff. 1. I don't think that stuff works against aging and 2. I'd rather look my age gracefully than have these marks and scars.

Good luck everybody!! I WISH FOR EVERYONE HERE TO FEEL THIS FREE!!! MUCH LOVE! :D

Hahaha! I'm just really happy to have clear skin. I don't care if you believe me or not. What I have described has cleared my skin. That's all. I'm just really, really happy and proud of myself everyday. Every day it just gets better and better.

I have changed diet, etc in the past without success. I've studied nutrition and interactions and nutrients and supplements. None of that worked. In fact, the past 2 weeks I fell off the wagon with my diet and restarted today. I didn't breakout because of it. Very simply, I don't put stuff on my face anymore and my face is so smooth (I just wish there weren't those old dark marks).

Your miles may vary my dears! If you have a better way than "doing nothing", then do it your way. I am not selling anything. I'm not selling a diet or a lotion or anything. I will change my diet again when I lose 4 kilos and I will still have clear skin. I am very happy to have resolved this and I hope some others will open their mind enough to see their solution, whatever it may end up being.

I'm just so very, very, very happy that this is behind me. I feel great! I feel like a normal person again, not a slave to any products or anything. I've saved a ton of money too! If for no other reason, try this way to save some money--if you are already broke out, you've got nothing to lose!!

Hahaha, I'm not even worried about my skin "aging" without the anti-aging stuff. 1. I don't think that stuff works against aging and 2. I'd rather look my age gracefully than have these marks and scars.

Good luck everybody!! I WISH FOR EVERYONE HERE TO FEEL THIS FREE!!! MUCH LOVE! :D

Hey I'm clear too dude, I'm happy for you, I just believe severe inflamed acne is not due to just acne products. That's just my personal opinion. I'm not trying to argue with you, just providing as insight to others who still struggle with severe acne.

How would you describe your acne before you stopped all your products/diet?

Mild/moderate...inflamed....severe?

Description of my "acne"

From about the age of 20+, I had menstrual related breakouts--nothing to fret over.

From a year and half ago, I'd feel an itch on my face where there was nothing and 10 minutes later there'd be inflamed..."zit". I'd get a couple per day. Stopping with the anti-aging lotion that had retinol and anything that was drying had such a great impact. No more zits just appearing out of nowhere.

From then on out, it was gradual clearing of clogged pores. I'd see them developing and a week later they'd be a cute little pimple, non-inflamed. Now, of course, there's nothing.

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot! I had been using AlphaHydrox for forever. I stopped it when I stopped the other stuff. AND, after everything first improved, after my trip, I had stopped with the anti-aging stuff...I tried it again for one day to see if I had re-acclimated my skin and could start using it again. I broke out, so that's when I officially threw the stuff in the trash!

G'luck all!!

I must say, I've been decreasing the products I use slowly, because I hope to get pregnant soon and can't use them then anyway. So I thought I'd take it slow, one product at a time so as to not upset my skin suddenly. I've been so surprised to find the less BP I use, the better my skin is. It's amazing. I've used BP for like ten years. Now I use a tiny bit two nights and just moisturize one night. I still use SA for a cleanser but eventually hope to stop that too, once I'm off of the BP. Also by just changing one product at a time if I do break out I'll know what the cause is. Whether I continue with the moisturizers will depend on what the midwife says (once I actually do get pregnant)

I must say, I've been decreasing the products I use slowly, because I hope to get pregnant soon and can't use them then anyway. So I thought I'd take it slow, one product at a time so as to not upset my skin suddenly. I've been so surprised to find the less BP I use, the better my skin is. It's amazing. I've used BP for like ten years. Now I use a tiny bit two nights and just moisturize one night. I still use SA for a cleanser but eventually hope to stop that too, once I'm off of the BP. Also by just changing one product at a time if I do break out I'll know what the cause is. Whether I continue with the moisturizers will depend on what the midwife says (once I actually do get pregnant)

Good luck! My skin was gorgeous when I was pregnant! I wasn't using any products, plus without the monthly cycle that was (at the time) my main source of breakouts, I looked radiant and no one was shy to tell me. I hid my pregnancy for the first few months, but my glowy skin gave it away to a few people! haha.

From a year and half ago, I'd feel an itch on my face where there was nothing and 10 minutes later there'd be inflamed..."zit". I'd get a couple per day. Stopping with the anti-aging lotion that had retinol and anything that was drying had such a great impact. No more zits just appearing out of nowhere.

Sounds like an allergic reaction. And you never mentioned this in all the discussions last year about DIM and Vitamin D. With breakouts like this a systemic elimination of foods and products should be your first step.

Sounds like an allergic reaction. And you never mentioned this in all the discussions last year about DIM and Vitamin D. With breakouts like this a systemic elimination of foods and products should be your first step.

hahaha!

Okay, sure, guess it was an allergic reaction.

Good luck everybody.

:)

edit: Funny thing. I didn't come here to convince anybody of anything. I came here to tell my story in hopes that it could help somebody. But I have been getting replies from people who are "clear" already--not even broke out anymore-- and OBVIOUSLY ARE trying to convince people of something. Just a curiosity really. I won't be back after today. So, its up to the reader to decide if they think they can benefit from what I have described. I won't be trying to convince of anything, not now and not later. Hope and Love!

I am doing this

its a good move

already 90 percent clearer

but as said above, believe it only works with mild/moderate acne.

I reckon there are quite a lto of people here who don't realise how sensitive their skin is.