Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sephora28

has anyone else ever given up sls and silicones on their hair before?

I think I am going to stop using ammonium lauryl/laureth sulfates, sodium lauryl/laureth sulfates, and silicones on my hair. It is just so dry and frizzy and gross no matter what I do or use. I haven't used them in about three days and my hair looks much better. Has anyone else ever given up sls and silicones on their hair before? Articles about them online are mixed.

*raise hand* Yup, I've switched to Organix shampoo cause my hair started to shed a lot. An article I read online awhile back linked shedding with sls. I've only been using it for about a week now, so I can't say if it's been making any difference.

Hmm never thought about that, but every since I started using this new shampoo with higher amounts of ammonium lauryl/laureth sulfates I noticed my hair has become drier...

I guess I will wait until I finish this shampoo and then try something else and see if I notice a difference or not :)

Just a heads up. Dimethicone is a silicone based surfactant & emollient moisturizer but is not harmful like SLS and sodium cocotate and all those other harmful surfactants.

With almost no irritation it serves as a very effective deep pore cleanser; i.e. it penetrates and rinses out the skin pores in order to allow them to "breathe". It also removes surface oils from the skin and leaves it fresh looking, without drying out the skin, because it preserves the natural oils of the deeper skin layers.

It is not irritating or comedogenic. And the most common form found is PEG-12 Dimethicone.

Long story:

Dimethicone is an excellent skin care product but whether it is right for you depends on what you are looking for. It is a type of silicone oil. Silicone oils in general add glide and smooth properties to skin care products.

Dimethicones are unmodified silicone oils. Unmodified silicone oils stay on the surface of the skin as the molecules are too large to penetrate deeply into the skin. Because it stays on the surface of the skin, dimethicone provides a skin barrier.

This is an excellent ingredient for someone whose skin barrier has been disrupted or has been seriously compromised and needs added protection. Healthy skin takes 8 hours to repair this barrier. Soaps and other harsh products, especially those that contain sodium-based surfactants do drastic damage to your skin and this barrier, causing your skin to take a lot longer to repair this barrier. During this while, your skin is highly proned to infection from bacteria and other environmental factors.

Dimethicone will help take over some of the normal functions of the skin barrier, such as preventing transdermal water loss. It is a good product to use in dry, hot climates.

So in a nutshell:

Dimethicone has been proven to seal moisture into the skin. Dimethicone has also been found to prevent certain bacteria from infecting the skin, as reported in this 2002 study in the Journal of Parasitology.

So not all silicone based surfactants are harmful.

Next month will mark a year for not using silicone or sls based products. My scalp doesn't itch anymore and my hair doesn't get waxy or dry.

I gave up sulfates when I dyed my hair because I heard they aren't good for dyed hair. Right now I'm using bodyshop's honey moisturising shampoo and it really keeps the dye in my hair locked in. In the past, I have always wondered why my hair highlights always turned a lighter shade after a couple of months and I now know the culprit to be sulfates. Not too sure about the silicones though.

By giving up sulfate shampoos, the hair dye colour doesn't change and I have less dandruff now as well.

Yep, I have been doing this close to 2 months and use burts bees and giovanni organic brand. It doesnt strip hair of oils where over the counter products that arent natural or organic cover hair with waxy film but eventually makes it worse. Be careful dont be fooled jsut by reading the label as natural you need to look on the ingridients and check that theres no chemicals, alcohols, etc. Pretty much you can read and pronounce the ingredients. Give it a go!