Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If I post a bit about my history would you guys help me?

I've had moderate acne for 10 years, since I was about 13.

1. The first thing that worked for me was the antibiotic Minocin in 2002. My doctor took me off it when I became clear but about a month later I had severe acne which didn't respond to Minocin when I was put back on it.

2. About 6 months in 2003 later I was put on Dianette which worked wonderfully for me for about 1.5 years but then my acne inexplicably came back.

3. The next thing I tried was a regimen I found on this website in 2004. I was a combination of using Clearasil's Blackhead face scrub and Panoxyl 10% BP face wash. This cleared me up for about 6 months.

4. In 2005 I started Dan's regimen and this worked for about 1.5 years when, again, this stopped working.

5. In June 2008 I was put on Roaccutane, 30mg a day for 4 months which cleared me up for about 5 months.

I have just listed the things I have tried that have worked for me up until a point. I have tried countless other things, both prescription and non-prescription including other BCPs such as Yasmin and Cilest, other antibiotics, and topical treatments. None of them have worked even remotely for me.

And here I am, back with moderate acne again. I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday, what can I ask him/her for? What could I possibly try after Roac hasn't worked for me on a permanent basis? Why do the things that work for me eventually stop working? Any advice would be awesome.

x

I've been on accutane twice now, and I have numerous friends that have been on it too. My acne has unfortunately come back every time :( but I know that lots of my friends would follow up their acne treatments immediately with a vitamin a based topical cream like retin a micro to prevent their acne from coming back, and its worked for them. my dermatologist never did this for me, and they would only give me these prescriptions right after my acne had returned post-accutane. so maybe the timing of using these has something to do with it. right now, my doctor has decided to give me 2 months to see if this last treatment will work for me, if not i have to go back on accutane for a 3rd round, and i really don't want to do that. so right now i'm going to try and use 5-10 g of pantothenic acid every day to get rid of the acne. i've heard that the acne will come back after you go off this though, so i'm just using this to get rid of the acne, then i'm going to try going back to antibiotics and/or topical creams to maintain clear skin. i don't know if all this is going to work, but its just what i'm trying. haha sorry this was so long, but i hope i helped, and best of luck. :)

Thanks for your reply CK! I get sad when no one responds to my pleas for help... :( I went to the doc yesterday and she is referring me to the derm again. She also prescribed me Dianette and Differin. I think I've been on Differin before, but I've been on so much stuff that I can't remember! Hopefully I'll get to go back on Roac again soon, and maybe it'll clear me up for good this time. Thanks again! :)

sorry to hear about all your troubles! anyway, i don't think your original accutane course was long enough. you could've stayed on for another two or three months in order to reach the optimal level.

i think another course would do you good.

good luck!

Perhaps another accutane course but a higher dose, something like 60mg, it would be more likely to permanently cure your acne. And also starting something like Differin immediately afterwards would be a good idea, as mentioned above.

Perhaps another accutane course but a higher dose, something like 60mg, it would be more likely to permanently cure your acne. And also starting something like Differin immediately afterwards would be a good idea, as mentioned above.

Is that what accutane can do to moderate acne?

Is that what accutane can do to moderate acne?

According to the makers of an accutane product (I can't remember which) 1st Course = 60% chance of permanent remission, and 2nd course = 90% chance of permanent remission. The chance of a permanent cure of acne increases with the total dose over the course, the dose would be double for a 60mg than a 30mg course. According to my Derm 60mg (1mg per kg) would be the normal dose.

Thanks for all your replies. I agree, I think I should've had a longer course but because I moved city, I couldn't transfer to a new derm. I'm 55kg so I was put on 30mg but if Ii get anotoher course I will definately ask to be put on a higher dose.