Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was watching Tyra, and this episode was about "popular" and "unpopular" kids in high school. The popular kids, of course all looked like supermodels and the unpopular kids were basically the opposite.

Then Tyra's social experiment began, she made the popular kids unpopular by literally making them wear a fat suite, mess up their hair, make them wear baggy ill-fitting clothes and worst of all making one of them wear a prosthetic mask of acne/scars, then sending them to a fictional school, where the other kids (all actors) made fun of them in order to make them understand what the unpopular kids feel like.

The one who had the faux-acne said she felt like a monster and could barely look at herself. And said she "can't handle this". Woah, there are so ,any things wrong with this "experiment" I don't even know where to start. Keep in mind the acne was fake (it was a mask) and it was only on for a few hours, she was sent to a fictional school where all the other students and teachers were actors, and she knew all of this.

After all this, she say's she really understood what it felt like, when you make fun of people "who look like that" and that now that she get's it, she won't do it again.

No you don't. I'm sorry but don't even try to comprehend when you look like a supermodel, then actors who being paid to make fun of you, make fun of you for flaws that aren't even there. I'm so mad at this because there are so many damn things wrong with this episode and no one seems to understand that. And another thing, there is the implication that acne makes you a socially withdrawn outcast, who is a "looser" and "unpopular". Isn't that what we're trying to reverse!?

Did anyone see this episode? Does anyone understand just how wrong this whole thing is?

PS: The media sucks.

Lmao she does loads of those. This one episode she made "hot" girls look unattractive by putting very large beauty spots and fake bad teeth on them & then they had to approach guys.

She's quite the hypocrite by being a part of an industry that thrives on the insecurities of young people, and then having a talk show that deals with just the opposite.

However, I think her shows on race issues & stereotyping are pretty good. It just annoys me when she tries to make everyone fit her ideal of attractiveness (by giving makeovers lol)

I was watching Tyra, and this episode was about "popular" and "unpopular" kids in high school. The popular kids, of course all looked like supermodels and the unpopular kids were basically the opposite.

Then Tyra's social experiment began, she made the popular kids unpopular by literally making them wear a fat suite, mess up their hair, make them wear baggy ill-fitting clothes and worst of all making one of them wear a prosthetic mask of acne/scars, then sending them to a fictional school, where the other kids (all actors) made fun of them in order to make them understand what the unpopular kids feel like.

The one who had the faux-acne said she felt like a monster and could barely look at herself. And said she "can't handle this". Woah, there are so ,any things wrong with this "experiment" I don't even know where to start. Keep in mind the acne was fake (it was a mask) and it was only on for a few hours, she was sent to a fictional school where all the other students and teachers were actors, and she knew all of this.

After all this, she say's she really understood what it felt like, when you make fun of people "who look like that" and that now that she get's it, she won't do it again.

No you don't. I'm sorry but don't even try to comprehend when you look like a supermodel, then actors who being paid to make fun of you, make fun of you for flaws that aren't even there. I'm so mad at this because there are so many damn things wrong with this episode and no one seems to understand that. And another thing, there is the implication that acne makes you a socially withdrawn outcast, who is a "looser" and "unpopular". Isn't that what we're trying to reverse!?

Did anyone see this episode? Does anyone understand just how wrong this whole thing is?

PS: The media sucks.

LOL That is quite funny about the girl who couldn't handle it. She takes the frustration to a new level. . . I guess Tyra's heart was in the right place. :/

You could also say Hitlers heart was in the right place, after all in his mind he was just cleaning up his country for the betterment of his people.

Yes, that's right, I just compared Tyra to Hitler. :shhh:

tyra needs to go swim in a volcano

But surely if she did that she would... oh, I see what you did there. :shifty: I prefer the term 'to go play in traffic' myself personally :lol: I can't say I've heard of what the hell you guys are talking about though; an American tv show of some kind?

The subjects only learned their lesson after experiencing the pain. They're able to take off the mask ,but the sufferers can't. Tyra taught the kids to stop shaking the cages. She didn't try to reverse the stereotype. Why would you watch Tyra anyway? Save yourself.

I once saw an episode with the less attractive sister who was jealous of the attractive one, so to make the attractive one experience the "pain and isolation" of the other they put them in bodysuits and jacked up their teeth and, of course, had to give them bad skin. Then they sent them to the mall to see people's reactions and made them go into Sephora. By the end of the episode they were in tears.

I watched this episode about 45 mins ago and yeah its fucked up cuz shes pretty much making fun of people who are not "good" looking. Its just unfortunate because it brought out thet losers and the populars. It was just wrong.

i would watch her show for the assumement

just because someone has jacked up teeth or acne doesn't make them an outcast

i've known a lot of people who look like supermodels only having 2 real friends

matters on how much confidence you have

i remember how tyra herself got into a fat suit

please

>.>

Guest Chrisâ„¢
The subjects only learned their lesson after experiencing the pain. They're able to take off the mask ,but the sufferers can't. Tyra taught the kids to stop shaking the cages. She didn't try to reverse the stereotype. Why would you watch Tyra anyway? Save yourself.

Lol, I agree.

*Tv Announcer*: "Today on Tyra, she talks about the importance of self-esteem. She talks to 15 young overweight teens and 15 teens with acne who are self-concious. She will debunk the stereotypes that say people with acne are unclean and overweight people are lazy".

*Tv Announcer*: "Don't forget to tune in to tomorrow, Tyra will be talking with 3 women from Americas Next Top Model. They will be giving you tips on how to stay thin and sexy".

*Tv Announcer*: Coming up next week: "Jessica Simpson, the spokesperson of Proactive Solutions will be here to tell you how to get rid of those nasty and unsightly pimples that everyone hates".

Lmfao t.v. is so stupid and fake.

"model looking" people have scars too. wtf with the whole acne is the sign of ugliness crap. also have u noticed how when they show someone living "unhealthy" lifestyle , they always have acne and stuff? suuckers

Watching TV always makes me feel bad and it's not just bc of my skin. TV shows fill your head with the idea that you have to live a certain way and look a certain way. Commercials try and convince you that you need to have certain things or your life isn't complete. Then there's news programs which are always telling us the world is coming to an end or something like that. It's mostly garbage. I feel so much better when I don't watch a lot of TV. Live your own life and decide for yourself what is best for you and what makes you happy. I don't need Oprah or Dr. Phil to tell me how to be me. Life isn't like what you see on TV.

I love how the post above me was straight to the point. But most of all, I like it because I agree.

Yea you have to be careful with what you watch on TV. Stay faaaaaaaaar away from crap like American Idol, or 95% of the stuff on MTV. But I do Like true life as its interesting to see other peoples problems. Since I have problems of my own I can sort of relate even if its not the same thing.

Woah, I'm kind of blown away by all the replies. Thanks guys! As for watching Tyra... It comes on when I get home from school, and usually it's mildly amusing to watch.

I think Pink_Polka made a good point, she always tries to relate to her unfortunate guests. She can't seem the grasp the concept that to help someone, you don't need to go out of your way to tell them how much you can relate and understand. And Tyra, don't even try for one second to understand what being overweight feels like by wearing a fat suite for a day, or what years of acne feels like by wearing a mask for a few hours.

Mortalsinner made a good point too, I understand she wasn't trying to reverse the stereotype. But the act of making the girl unpopular by giving her acne is actually reinforcing said stereotype. Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone they were all great. :)

I think the Tyra Banks show is a waste of time. Then again, I watch very little tv.