Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
daxxx

Daxxx back on Retin-A

Well i just got back from the Derm. I actually had a positive experience this time.

I started getting mild acne at age 12, wasnt so bad but went to the derm at age 17. I was on Retin-A last year, but i wasn't following it properly for a while due to clear skin, so i started to get breakouts. I figured i needed more and jumped straight from .05% to .1% which was too harsh at the time, and not even using moisturizer. Then it all went downhill from there. I started breaking out and couldnt figure out why, i then found acne.org and was inspired to try Dan's regimen. I used this for about 2 months, ending with the most severe breakout of my life. Theres a chance if i woulda hung on longer i woulda been clear for good but i quit and regretted it but i'm not going back to that.

After i quit the DKR and found the "Caveman" regimen i was convinced i never had acne in the first place ( i was wrong). This worked for a month or so while but just gradually has been getting worse, due to the increase of uninflammed acne that eventually turns into inflammed acne. I was gonna just ride acne out til adulthood, but my father is 52 and still has pretty bad uninflammed acne, so im not going to just do nothing about it anymore. I am a believer that acne can be cured by diet alone, but i am a college student and really don't have a huge say in what i can eat without getting too underweight.

I am following this current Regimen:

Morning

-Clenia wash (Sulfur)

-Cetaphil Moisturizer

Doxycycline 100mg

Evening

Retin-a .05% (Every other night, replace with suflur soap on other nights)

Cetaphil Moisturizer

Doxycycline 100mg

This was my picture last year while on retin-a (no clenia wash or doxy)

http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dan3g.png

almost perfect.

This is my face today

http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=may11.jpg

Mild inflammation (having a good day, haha) but since i dont have a digital cam atm

you cant see the tons of comedones i have.

I'm pretty scared of a bad breakout from this but it cant get much worse than how its been the past few weeks, and im sure the anti-biotic will do the trick.

Im going to apply the Retin-a every other night for a little while, ill keep you guys posted on my progress.

Thanks for reading!

P.S. Should i stop taking zinc? I heard this isnt safe to take with doxy.

This worked for a month or so while but just gradually has been getting worse, due to the increase of uninflammed acne that eventually turns into inflammed acne. I was gonna just ride acne out til adulthood, but my father is 52 and still has pretty bad uninflammed acne, so im not going to just do nothing about it anymore.

Hey Dan hows it been?

Yea I know what you mean about the uninflammed acne, and I know how you feel about not being able to outgrow it... My dad still takes Doxy occasionally and hes 49. I'm hoping for the best, this time around tho.

As far as taking zinc and doxy at the same time... as long as you don't take the zinc 2 hours before or 2 hours after the doxy, you should be fine. They say any of the tetracycline antibiotic family should be taken on an empty stomach.

Anyways. good luck man.

~Josh

Day 4

I havnt noticed any difference since i only applied retin-a twice so far, but sulfer soap is amazing! It doesnt bring the existing acne to a head but instead it just dries off and dissapears without redmarks, really good stuff. So not much to report, average looking skin ill report back in a few days if anything new happens. Thanks for the support josh!

Day 7

Still using retin-a every other night... Skin looking very good this week :) I am already starting to notice more raised comedones under the surface of my skin. So i hope the anti-biotic takes full effect by the time they reach surface. Still very pleased with the sulfer soap. I started drinking about 3 servings a milk a day which is unheard of for me, and my face isnt suffering but back acne seems to return a bit. It really is nice not to have to buy rice milk but if my back doenst get any worse ill stick with 2% milk. Peace.

post-88592-1242767728_thumb.jpg All redmarks except little thing on my chin i am happy...hope im not jinxing myself

post-88592-1242767728_thumb.jpg

Day 16

Well over last weekend things have gotten pretty bad, ive had some deep spots around my mouth that pop up overnight and are quite painful, i hope the antibiotic starts working soon. I got a big weekend ahead so mentally ill have to overcome this breakout that seems to have no end in sight...

Good luck! You'll have awesome results before you know it, I hope everything will work out for you :) (which it probably will :P)

P.S Drink lots of water! I dont know if you do or not, but I've only been drinking water since I started mine. I dont know if it helped or not but its worth a try.

Hey Dan! :wavey: Hang in there buddy! I've been on Retin-A for like over a year on and off, my best advice is to stick with it don't stop or slack cause your having a good day or week and the breakouts will come and go a lot faster, o and have you considered AHA for your back acne? I just started using it on my face a.m and on my back p.m. so if it starts working i'll let ya know

Day 22

I really appreciate the replies guys! The past 2 Weeks have been pretty BAD, totally relentless, but ive kept it strong and just acted like i normally would instead of avoiding people, etc..because people do notice this. Ive been keeping my mind off of it by hitting the gym at least 4 days a week and focusing on the bigger picture and leaving acne as a "side project". One thing is i dont think the creatine ive been taking the past week has helped a whole lot but im not lettin that get in my way :badgrin:

Stoppthemadness: The bacne has been doing well, i really may use up my aha bottle behind my shoulders though to see what happens because ive always had at least blackheads there, good suggestion i got this aha bottle just laying around.

Day 26

big improvement in usual breakout areas, but i got a cyst on the side of my nose which is absolutely huge....Which neeeeever happens, so really bummed about it. Whatever, ive really learned to not even think about my face anymore.

Hey Dan it was good reading about your progress.

Especially the part about not thinking about your face, I think that helped me. For weeks I hadn't thought about my face and I was feeling great.. Then last week my face started breaking out a lot around my chin, and I couldn't help but look in the mirror frequently. Now I'm looking at my face in nearly every shiny object.... Its a vicious cycle.

Going to try and stop looking starting right now.

Anyways I read that your taking creatine while working out. I'm also working out with it, and I cant decide if it effects my skin or not. Nevertheless, creatine gives excellent results and I would have a hard time giving it up.

Day 33

ANTIBIOTIC IS FINNALY EFFIN WORKING.

mild breakouts around chin, but i don't care it doesnt look too bad, just like normal teen acne ya know? Josh i am amazed how well i am responding to creatine, I am actually retaining 10lbs of water in the 3rd week of use, my arms really are getting huge... My chest is lacking so im working hard on that..So worth it haha. I might go 2 more weeks and take a week of to give my kidneys a rest, but it'll be hard to take a break from it. I don't believe my 3-5g maintenance dose is harmful at all anyways...I think all the bad rap about creatine is rediculous.

Day 43

Everyday waking up with more spots, but they go away fast but i am extremely frustrated, i hope this doesnt take 3 months for at least the inflammation to stop. Im halfway through the apparent inital breakout period though. Thank god im taking summer classes and my social life has been less active so i can get through this a little better...

Day 54

I haven't been on the org much lately, im just letting my face do what it needs to do i am pretty confident i am doing whats best and dont want to be tempted by any other regimens or advice while so far on my treatment. The antibiotics are working more consitantly now, and i have finally stopped purging a week ago on my upper lip (my most common embarassing acne area) So straight on im a pretty damn good lookin fella :) But the sides of my face are going through a decent purge but i am ok with that, I must be pretty far along with treatment if my forehead which was always flat is becoming very bumpy do to those invisible pores finally surfacing. All in all i am happy and still confident with this. I wont be on the site much this summer other than to see my long and other's logs so PM me if you have any questions you think i can answer! thanks for your support.

Here is a crappy quality picture (why does my face look so red when it isnt? haha)

post-88592-1246929891_thumb.jpg

post-88592-1246929891_thumb.jpg

Today i went to the derm for a follow up, i thought my face looked GOOD for a change and then she prescribed me accutane! I am frikkin blown away there is a god i guess hahaha blood test 2moro if its all good ill start accutane 2moro :D:D

Accutane...

You lucky bastard.

My face has been seeking revenge on me lately, wish my derm would have let me go on it.

Oh well I'm still putting my faith into doing nothing. lol

Best of luck to ya man, I hope accutane doesn't effect your working out. A friend of mine took it, and he had joint pain while he was on it...

Thanks jwebb...today is my first day on it 40g a day. They told me not to take any protein or anything either but im not listenin to that. My mom thinks accutane is lethal sh*t its so annoying i cant wait til she forgets about it. Hopefully youll outgrow it soon or convince ur derm the topicals dont work.