Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Packerfan785

Male Adult Acne

Had acne when I was a teenager. Accutaned it away in my late teens. Didn't really have much other than the occasional zit for the next 14 years. And then about 7 years ago I had one breakout of 3 or 4 zits and decided "oh no, I better get on antibiotics!" Stupid decision. I ended up being on and off minocycline for 7 years, usually buying them off the internet. The breakouts would subside for a while (weeks and even months at a time), but would always come back. After educating myself on what I was doing to my body, I decided to stop. Two months ago I went down from 200 to 100 mg a day. Did that for a month. Then went to 100 mg every other day. Finally completely stopped 25 days ago. I am having what I consider a rebound flare right now (4-5 zits). Hopefully it won't last long.

I think what I've done is 1) filled my body with candida overgrowth due to WAY too many antibiotics, and 2) mess up my immune system, specifically my liver.

I've made diet and lifestyle changes that I think will help.

I'm going to see an acupuncturist tomorrow. I'm more interested in his analysis of my immune system and hormonal balance. It's simply not natural for a nearly 40-yr male to have acne.

What about you? Do you have a history of antibiotics?

I thought that i would grow out of it but it has not happend yet

its not as bad as it was when i was 14/15/16 but its still not perfect.

Dunno how long its gonna last but i hope not too much longer :pray:

Yeah I sure hope it goes away. I'm a 24 year old male and I don't want to be putting on products and having to control Acne when I'm 30+.

Do a lot of males get adult acne? Does it usually last long?

Yes, and the duration varies per individual and how long it takes the guy to figure out what's breaking him out.

Yes your not alone. I'm 27 now and have recently got mild acne nothing major (mainly blackheads on nose & cheeks)after being clear for quite awhile. I had moderate acne through my teens and early twenties. I took accutane and have been clear since. I recently split with my long term girlfriend so suppose have been a bit stressed lately and not sure if this is a factor. The only other thing is that i only wash with warm water so i've decided to start a proper skincare regime to see if this helps.

I am 28. I have tried EVERYTHING and I STILL have acne.

Hello folks. I am 27 old male, with oily/combo skin, and am in the same boat, fighting acne and oily skin issues for the past six years, and after going on an occasional med and strong acne wash binge once and a while, I finally started taking care of my skin over a year ago. (adopting the regimen, using matte type moisturizers, blotting, washing pillow cases every other day, bp, ect). But I still had acne, with an occasional breakout (1-3 zits) every week or so. I would then treat it, only for it to return. I had a very strict regimen, and a better diet than what I used to, but I realized that I must be doing something to my body that's causing these zits to return every few days.

After researching causes of acne and how the digestive system plays a role, I did an experiment, and found out that its putting fluids in my body at the same time as eating - that's what did it.

Here's the rule: 1) No fluids 1 hr before food.

2) No fluids with food.

3) No fluids 1 hr after food.

No water, juice, milk, mineral water, beer, pop. Nothing. Fluids interfere with digestive fluids, and that can cause breakouts. And no food before noon, and no food after midnight. (Midnight to Noon is when the body is digesting. It's the body clock.)

Now...everyone's body responds differently to certain things. Some people, regardless of skin type, can drink whatever they want and it won't affect them. But if you are in the same boat as me, and have been battling acne, and have been using whatever products (BP, SA) that help treat, only to have the acne return, then I suggest you take a step back and examine how and when you eat and drink. Yes, what you eat is important, but when it comes to clear skin, how you put foods and liquids into your body can be just as important too.

I adopted this regimen 10 1/2 weeks ago. My skin has never been clearer. And guess what - when I added a fluid to a beverage, or ate before the 1 hr limit was up, I had a breakout within 48-72 hrs. When I adhere to this rule, my skin stays clear. I still use Dan's BP (1 pump) in the a.m. in spot prone areas, and at night I alternate between treatments, but the rest of my story (and the various products I use) is here: www.acne.org/messageboard/Dan-s-regimen-product-t236884.html

Oily skin can't be stopped. But to minimize it, that means a comprehensive plan: blotting every 1 hour , 1 hour and a half, moisturizers to absorb and matte, clay masks for deep cleansing. Acne can be treated, but unlike oily skin, it can be prevented.

Adult acne in general is not uncommon. Usually it affects women more than men. I started having acne at around 20-21 years of age and I am still dealing with it today. You may want to ask your family members, particularly your father about his acne history as there can be a genetic component. My brother who is now 39 is still dealing with acne and using medications to treat it albeit as he has gotten older his acne in general has improved.