Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The problem: Some skin disorder that is present at the moment or keeps recurring. (Could be Acne, bacterial infection, fungal infection, etc...)

The solution (for the majority): Make an appointment with the doctor or dermatologist. Leaving the office with a prescription for antibiotics, orally or topically.

The new problem (from my experience and other posts I've read): Temporary relief from taking antibiotics and sometimes a worse problem than before.

The same old solution: More and more doctor/dermatologist visits. Nothing seems to cure or better the problem.

A different approach: The body shows that something internally is out of balance. The result of this inbalance is showing up externally, on the skin. My belief with any problem whether it's medical or relational or an addiction of some sort, there is always a deeper issue at work. The current internal complication is creating a visible skin disorder.

Summary thus far: We have a problem and instead of taking actions to fix it on a more permanent basis, we look for fast, but temporary relief. Our bodies are telling us that something is out of whack. Some sort of internal malfunction is showing up through our skin.

Side note: The western civilization has the biggest problem with skin disorders.

My suggestions or thoughts about the skin and it's many ways of saying "Hey, I might look like the problem, but you have other issues at work.

-Take antibiotics as a last resort. From my own experience my bacterial infection/acne has gotten worse and has spread from taking antibiotics. I have read lots of other posts about oral antibiotics and the most common element I have found is while taking antibiotics skin clears up. However, once the cycle of antibiotics is over the skin disorder comes back, in some cases worse than before.

-Try something more natural. Alternative antibiotics and ways to boost the immune system. Try some of the following for a time period: garlic, ginger, turmeric, zinc, vitamin c, b- complex, probiotics, flaxseed, multivitamin, astragulus, etc... I'm still searching for immune boosters to help my body as a whole.

-Try something more natural, topically. Including: 100% tea tree oil, non-castile soap, turmeric paste. I am searching for more natural approaches, rather than products that use lots of chemicals.

-Other things you may want to look into: Food allergies, chemical allergies (soap, household cleaners, laundry detergent, fabric softener, deodorant, cologne, aftershave, shaving cream, and so on...)

Since conventional medicine is a temporary relief I began searching for alternative methods. Even though I'm still on antibiotics at the moment I have made a lot of changes to my diet and how I take care of my body as a whole (mind,body,spirit). I wish I would have went this route before I dove into the ever disappointing results from conventional approaches.

A list of changes I've made:

-no meat, no dairy (have seen a lot of good results coming from this)

-try to consume more organic foods (again I think it helps my whole body)

-take vitamins and minerals (multivitamin, 1,000mg vitamin c, probiotics, calcium, b-complex)

-stress relievers (meditation, exercise, deep breating,yoga)

-more natural cleansing products

-chemical-free laundry detergent

Review-

Our bodies show something is wrong by breaking out in some form of skin disoorder. I have listed many alternative areas to look into or research. Diet, allergies, vitamins/minerals, stress relief, and so on. Try different things other than conventional medicine. Only take antibiotics as a last resort.

In no way am I claiming the above information to be a cure for skin disorders. However, some of the methods have improved my skin and I want to inform others who are thinking about conventional treatments. Search for alternative methods and choose the right one for you.

Well you are pretty much describing my worst fear.

I am taking antibiotics for my acne, minocycline 50mg a day. After i'm done with my prescription I fear that my acne will come back with a vengeance. My plan of action is to transition to a different topical like Retin-A Micro or something. I don't know. I will ask my derm for guidance, but she is who put me on antibiotics in the first place!

I am taking antibiotics for my acne, minocycline 50mg a day. After i'm done with my prescription I fear that my acne will come back with a vengeance. My plan of action is to transition to a different topical like Retin-A Micro or something. I don't know. I will ask my derm for guidance, but she is who put me on antibiotics in the first place!

Same here, i am taking Oxytetracycline, i got acne when i was 16, now that am 20 the acne has died down and moved around the mouth area where i have mostly red spots and the odd cyst. i decided to go to the gp and he issued me the said antibiotic, he seemed relaxed about giving me the antibiotic ie he came across like he thought that the antibiotics would clear my face up, only time will tell i suppose.

Same here, i am taking Oxytetracycline, i got acne when i was 16, now that am 20 the acne has died down and moved around the mouth area where i have mostly red spots and the odd cyst. i decided to go to the gp and he issued me the said antibiotic, he seemed relaxed about giving me the antibiotic ie he came across like he thought that the antibiotics would clear my face up, only time will tell i suppose.

Well the antibiotics might clear you up, but from what I have read they are not a long-term solution. I really want to get off of the antibiotics completely and use something else. I suggest you do the same.

oh so antibiotics will only hold the acne down temporarily? it's not the cure then, i'm so sad one my derm put me on oral antibiotics for 2 months! that's why now when i stop, it broke out like hell.

yeah antibiotics are good for short term soultion! i have been taking them on and off for about 9 years for my acne! i hate taking them as i know they cant be good for my body and some dont even have any effect on me as i taken them for too long!

i gave in when i saw my derm last as im nearly 25 and just thought enough is enough!

they seem to be working along with Retin A gel but ideally i wud like to go down the more natural route.

i would like to use manuka oil as its meant to be stronger than tea tree oil but the problem is im going travelling in about 12 wks and i really want to be clear for that so im going carry on with pills and lotion and slowly take less and less as i cant deal with a break out of spots when im travelling!.

it is bad how doctors and derms jump straight into handing out antibiotics. i think mine was also a dairy problem as i have cut that out! when i have no dairy my skin is about 90% clearer. i do relapse tho as i love cheese, pizza, chocolate etc and then i get a couple of spots.

hopefully i can cut dairy out , cut out antibiotics and just use more natural things adn still have clear skin!

I'm not going to be an ass, but I really hate when people make topics describing how to get clear when they are far from clear themselves. Giving false hope to others who ends up trying the same regimen just to be dissapointed yet again. And i see this shit going on every day.

Yes, for a long time I thought very similar to you. Acne is the result of some kind of internal imbalance, problem or whatever. I used several years trying different approaches like switching laundry detergent, taking Zinc, drinking more water and using 100% Tea Tree Oil for 3,5 months to try to kill of some kind of bacteria, fungus or mites which might be causing my acne. I tried avoiding all grains, sugar and high GI food for several months. I avoided different kindes of food to see if they were triggering the acne. I tried everything to try to fix whatever my problem was. Over the years the acne just got progressivly worse. After a while one gets tired of trying to find that hidden cause/inbalance/problem thats causing the acne. The fact for mostpeople is that it's an endless cycle of hope. They try something new and think they start to clear. A couple of weeks later that fails, and they try something new again and hope for a clear spring break a couple of months ahead.

Now I'm on Accutane....

Acne is normal. Certain foods do not cause acne, but they can make them worse/better.

I'm not going to be an ass, but I really hate when people make topics describing how to get clear when they are far from clear themselves. Giving false hope to others who ends up trying the same regimen just to be dissapointed yet again. And i see this shit going on every day.

Yes, for a long time I thought very similar to you. Acne is the result of some kind of internal imbalance, problem or whatever. I used several years trying different approaches like switching laundry detergent, taking Zinc, drinking more water and using 100% Tea Tree Oil for 3,5 months to try to kill of some kind of bacteria, fungus or mites which might be causing my acne. I tried avoiding all grains, sugar and high GI food for several months. I avoided different kindes of food to see if they were triggering the acne. I tried everything to try to fix whatever my problem was. Over the years the acne just got progressivly worse. After a while one gets tired of trying to find that hidden cause/inbalance/problem thats causing the acne. The fact for mostpeople is that it's an endless cycle of hope. They try something new and think they start to clear. A couple of weeks later that fails, and they try something new again and hope for a clear spring break a couple of months ahead.

Now I'm on Accutane....

Basically, you support doctors and dermatologists to hand out drugs to cure the population of diseases. Thats only going to make things worse in my opinion. Whenever a drug is going to clear symptoms faster than the amount of time and effort you are willing to put into your body, you choose a toxic drug. You come on here and say I give false hope. My belief is the body can heal itself, naturally. What you put into your body is what you get out of it. Next time you want to comment on someones idea/ suggestion, think before you do it.

Did you ever research candida? Google Bee's candida and you will find some good stuff there.

I was just trying to help out other people that use loads of antibiotics, topical chemicals, and harmful foods. I don't see any harm in that. Have a good day man! Obviously this antibiotics I was on wasn't doing too much so... As for accutane good luck I don't think I ever want that in my body.

Especially since the real purpose for the antibiotics in treating acne is as an anti-inflammatory, not germ killing. And you can and should be eating tons of anti-inflammatory foods and avoiding inflammatory foods.

Anyway, antibiotics never helped me a bit that I could tell. But I was prescribed one after another for over a decade. Then I tried two courses of accutane which also did absolutely nothing.

Thanks White Fox, you motivate me even more to be a success story!!!

Yes, and I really hope that you indeed get clear the holistic way, I'm just saying that a lot of us don't..

In regards to acne and treatment I feel that it all depends on how long you have come in regards to trying treatments. When I first strated reading in the Nutrition and Holistic health forum a some years ago after trying topicals etc. I became totally convinced that my acne was caused by some internal issue or problem that could be fixed by changing something internally or by changing my diet(even though I was already eating VERY healthy in regards to what is considered healthy by most experts). The information in the Nutrition and Holistic forum was overwhelming and people had different opinions in regards to what was healthy etc. But the thing I soon realised was that a very little percantage of people had actually gotten clear by using Holistic approaches. Most were just desperate trying different approaches and read daily advices from other people that weren't clear themselves. Not eating something because one guy said it caused some acne in him etc...

The only reason I didn't go to a dermatologist sooner was because I thought I could fix the problem the Holistic way- the right way. But after something like 2 years trying different diets etc. I realised it was a never ending cycle and I never got 100% clear. I know that some people indeed get clear by changing something like their diet, and that for these people diet/flushing/vitamins etc. has a huge role in regards to their acne.

The fact is that I might have to eat my words in a couple of months or years if I finally find that missing piece that will get me clear.

I saw some of you discussed antibiotics. I have never taken anything like Teatracycline etc. so I'm not going to voice an opinion on this.

As I said earlier in my post I really hope you get clear the Holistic way, I just don't want to see you on acne.org in 2011 stilltrying to get clear by reading in the Nutrition and Holistic health forum.

All the best to you!

Yes, and I really hope that you indeed get clear the holistic way, I'm just saying that a lot of us don't..

In regards to acne and treatment I feel that it all depends on how long you have come in regards to trying treatments. When I first strated reading in the Nutrition and Holistic health forum a some years ago after trying topicals etc. I became totally convinced that my acne was caused by some internal issue or problem that could be fixed by changing something internally or by changing my diet(even though I was already eating VERY healthy in regards to what is considered healthy by most experts). The information in the Nutrition and Holistic forum was overwhelming and people had different opinions in regards to what was healthy etc. But the thing I soon realised was that a very little percantage of people had actually gotten clear by using Holistic approaches. Most were just desperate trying different approaches and read daily advices from other people that weren't clear themselves. Not eating something because one guy said it caused some acne in him etc...

The only reason I didn't go to a dermatologist sooner was because I thought I could fix the problem the Holistic way- the right way. But after something like 2 years trying different diets etc. I realised it was a never ending cycle and I never got 100% clear. I know that some people indeed get clear by changing something like their diet, and that for these people diet/flushing/vitamins etc. has a huge role in regards to their acne.

The fact is that I might have to eat my words in a couple of months or years if I finally find that missing piece that will get me clear.

I saw some of you discussed antibiotics. I have never taken anything like Teatracycline etc. so I'm not going to voice an opinion on this.

As I said earlier in my post I really hope you get clear the Holistic way, I just don't want to see you on acne.org in 2011 stilltrying to get clear by reading in the Nutrition and Holistic health forum.

All the best to you!

DO me one favor and google Bee's Candida! I know this is the cure for lots of people on here. Expecially those that have taken antibiotics/accutane and what not.

The information in the Nutrition and Holistic forum was overwhelming and people had different opinions in regards to what was healthy etc. But the thing I soon realised was that a very little percantage of people had actually gotten clear by using Holistic approaches. Most were just desperate trying different approaches and read daily advices from other people that weren't clear themselves. Not eating something because one guy said it caused some acne in him etc...

Yes, but there's a pretty clear common thread to almost all successful regimens and that is to eat a lot less processed nutritionally void foods and a lot more real, nutrient dense foods. And to keep at least moderately low GL in all meals, snacks, drinks etc. Some need to be more strict than others. And to figure out and avoid anything that you personally have an intolerance for using methodical methods, not panic. Which is how absolutely everyone should eat anyway.

And yes, most posts are as you describe. That's because most people are new to this and are constantly exposed to so much misinformation about healthy eating. And prone to panic and over reacting. There have been several dozen members who have cleared their skin through diet and lifestyle. And those people have made hundreds of logical, rational, informative posts.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Success-C....html&st=20