Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spotsmcgee

Roaccutane, and a little bit of sillyness

Hey hey hey

As for my mini autobiography, I'm seventeen years old, a girl and an acne sufferer for abbbout 3ish years now, but only recently has it gotten completely unbearable, right now I have a group of cysts on my chin and I slightly resemble the elephant man. I've tried pretty much everything; every cream, cleanser, bar, lotion, blah blah blah, proactive (which I'm still using at the mo), doxycline, minomycin, my birth control bestie "Brenda" which I'm also still currently on.

So I've decided to jump into the Roaccutane pool. I've been referred to a dermo (who's a bit quirky) and he gave me the option of Roaccutane. I'm aware of the side effects and I've literally been stalking the Accutane blogs on this website for the last week, but if it means my acne is gone forever then I'm all for it. And I'd rather not be taking the pill or antibiotics for my entire life, when I can blast it for 6 months and then never have to take anything again. Anyways, I have to have been on the pill for a month which I'm close to, and then I can go get my blood test hopefully next Wednesday. Can't wait :dance: !!

What else...... So with the blood test they check cholesterol levels? My Mum has high colesterol levels. I hope I don't. I'm a vegetarian.. well a sometimes fishatarian so maybe that'll help coz I don't eat alot of crap. Well I best be off, feel free to say hellllo t'would be lovely.

Edited by spotsmcgee

Accutane wouldnt been so common if the sideeffects ruined peoples life. So just dont think so much about that.

Good luck to you, hope everything goes smooth ;)

So true so true! Thanks for the well wishes :)

My blood test is on Wednesday and then I have to wait three days before I can go to the Derm again. Maybe I started this message board a bit too early but maybe people will be interested in hearing about the long process of going on Roaccutane... :think:

Well that's it for now have a wonderful weekend

hello! hang in there! the month of wait is unbearably long but it'll be over before you know it.

its normal to obsess over people's posts before you go on it, it kinda helps prepare you. But remember everyone's experiences are different. I've only been on it for a month, and I'm on a very high dose (80 mg) and I haven't had many side effects besides the obvious dry lips (which is bearable with aquaphor) and really dry eyes (so I wear glasses instead). I also itch time to time but lotion helps it go away. A lot of people have terrible side effects on small doses. But its best to go into the whole situation with a POSITIVE attitude and not wait for bad things to happen. That's the best advice I ever got from my friend who is now almost complete with her course.

Make sure you stock up on goodies like a really moisturizing lotion and a good facial moisturizer with sunscreen. A good lip balm is a must, I personally love aquaphor b/c it helps take away the irritation. I know they don't have that in canada, but I'm not sure about Australia? Eucerin makes it. If not, a plain petroleum jelly will work. You'll also have to wash your hair less, which rocks! I used to have to wash mine every day, and now I could go every three days if I wanted to but I usually stick to every other day.

Before your blood work Wednesday, make sure you don't eat for several hours before your tests b/c it can make your lipid levels seem higher than they really are. No one told me this and mine came back high. lol

Also, a lot of people take fish oil & a vitamin E supplement. I take both. I've heard of some people taking as much as 6 fish oil capsules each day but I think that's kind of extreme. Especially since fish oil contains vitamin A and that could potentiate accutane's side effects.

which also reminds me, where you are a vegetarian I imagine you eat a lot of foods high in vitamin a. Just try to watch the amount you eat if at all possible. Make sure you talk to your derm. about this.

Also, this is completely unrelated to accutane, but you might want to consider getting your iron levels checked. I am anemic, even though I eat meat. I usually only eat a little bit per day. Sometimes none at all. I just don't like it. But anyways, it can make you feel really tired & generally crappy & can make you feel even weaker while on accutane. but this is just a suggestion, its better to know than not know

steph

hello! hang in there! the month of wait is unbearably long but it'll be over before you know it.

its normal to obsess over people's posts before you go on it, it kinda helps prepare you. But remember everyone's experiences are different. I've only been on it for a month, and I'm on a very high dose (80 mg) and I haven't had many side effects besides the obvious dry lips (which is bearable with aquaphor) and really dry eyes (so I wear glasses instead). I also itch time to time but lotion helps it go away. A lot of people have terrible side effects on small doses. But its best to go into the whole situation with a POSITIVE attitude and not wait for bad things to happen. That's the best advice I ever got from my friend who is now almost complete with her course.

Make sure you stock up on goodies like a really moisturizing lotion and a good facial moisturizer with sunscreen. A good lip balm is a must, I personally love aquaphor b/c it helps take away the irritation. I know they don't have that in canada, but I'm not sure about Australia? Eucerin makes it. If not, a plain petroleum jelly will work. You'll also have to wash your hair less, which rocks! I used to have to wash mine every day, and now I could go every three days if I wanted to but I usually stick to every other day.

Before your blood work Wednesday, make sure you don't eat for several hours before your tests b/c it can make your lipid levels seem higher than they really are. No one told me this and mine came back high. lol

Also, a lot of people take fish oil & a vitamin E supplement. I take both. I've heard of some people taking as much as 6 fish oil capsules each day but I think that's kind of extreme. Especially since fish oil contains vitamin A and that could potentiate accutane's side effects.

which also reminds me, where you are a vegetarian I imagine you eat a lot of foods high in vitamin a. Just try to watch the amount you eat if at all possible. Make sure you talk to your derm. about this.

Also, this is completely unrelated to accutane, but you might want to consider getting your iron levels checked. I am anemic, even though I eat meat. I usually only eat a little bit per day. Sometimes none at all. I just don't like it. But anyways, it can make you feel really tired & generally crappy & can make you feel even weaker while on accutane. but this is just a suggestion, its better to know than not know

steph

Thankyou so much I'll def have a chat to my derm about it, and thanks for all the advice, really helpful :) . I love how supportive this website is! I've been so excited it's hard to sit still... Yeah I probably should get my iron levels checked but I actually think that the opposite haemochromatosis? runs in my family, but probs good to know anyways.

Well well,

sorry to anyone who reads this expecting to find me already on Roaccutane but we shall get there soon!! And since I am describing this journey in a whole heap of detail... I got my first ever blood test today, and it was no where near as bad as I was expecting. I always get myself so worked up about needles, but then once they're over I always feel ridiculous for acting like a sook. The blood-taking-lady said that it's actually less painful to take blood out than it is to put stuff in there which I think is true. But my arm was really sore, like an achey kind of feeling today, so next time I have to get a blood test I think I'll ask her to do it my left arm and not my right, as it was kinda difficult to write at school today. Umm what else... after I got my blood test (being a fasting test and all) I went out for breakfast and got a tomato, avocado and cheese toasted sandwich. haha sorry for my awful log..

So I have to wait three days for the results to go to my derm and then I can go back and hopefully start roaccutane!! eee

Thanks to anyone still reading, i shall update after my next derm appointment in about a weekish.

Hello again, long time no see

So my derm appointment isnt untill the 4th of June :doubt: so I have to wait a whole two weeks until he gets back from wherever it is he is... I cant wait that long!!!!!!!!

Here's a bit of a summary about isotretinion that I got from from my derm but i've put it in dot points:

What is it?

* Synthetic retinoid

* Derivative of Vitamin A

* In Aus can only be given by a derm

* Used in cases of severe, scarring acne that is unresponsive to other treatments

* 90% people cured

* If not not cured may have a significant improment in their acne

* Small percentage require a second treatment

How it works (suggested)

* Decreasing size and activity of oil glands

* Removal of dead cell

* Stops the formation of pimples rather than treating ones already there

* Preventative role

Side Effects (some rare some common)

* Birth defects only in reproductive females

* No known long term effects on fertility female or male

* Chance of birth defects lasts about one month after stopping

* Dry skin

* Dryness of mucosal surfaces - such as lips and eyes

* Iritation in wearers of contact lenses

* Raised cholesterol and triglycerides

* Muscle and joint aches

* Sun sensitivity

* Slower wound healing

* (rare) Psychiatric disorders

* Eye problems - eg decrease in night vision, dry eyes

* Headaches

* Cannot be taken with some medications such as the antibiotic tetracycline

* Mild hair shedding

* Liver abnormalities

* Inflamatory bowel disease (also rare)

* Initial acne flare up

Monitoring

* Regular blood tests

* Regular visits to the doctor

Taking it

* Taken with food

* Dose worked out on the basis of body weight

* Course goes for around 20-25 weeks

There was some more but I can't be bothered to type it. But this is the most important stuff I think. I hope it's helpfull to someone who is maybe thinking of taking it aswell :)

good luck with your treatment sweetpea92!

im in pretty much the same situation as you at the moment.

went to see my dermatologist for the first time today, am going for a blood test tomorrow and will be seeing the dermatologist again on the 1st of June to start my Roaccutane treatment. He's also prescribing me antibiotics to take as well (EES - i think its erythromycin, but im not too sure).

good luck with your treatment sweetpea92!

im in pretty much the same situation as you at the moment.

went to see my dermatologist for the first time today, am going for a blood test tomorrow and will be seeing the dermatologist again on the 1st of June to start my Roaccutane treatment. He's also prescribing me antibiotics to take as well (EES - i think its erythromycin, but im not too sure).

Thanks im counting down the days! Good luck to you too. you'll start three days before me.

the days: 12 left and in the meantime in a sort of preparation I've reduced the ammount and frequency that I've been benzol peroxiding coz it gives me quite dry skin, and I don't want to start Roaccutane already being flakey. I've also been moisturizing more than usual. I watched the "yes man" movie, very funny loved the harry potter scene and the dobby costume hehehe...

Thats it for now! ta ta folk

Just letting you know this is an emtional log. :boohoo:

I think I need a virtual hug :(

Had a shocking day today, one moment I'll be laughing and happy and then in a second I can catch my reflection in a window or something, see my skin and just be shattered. I used to wear makeup and think that it looked ok, but not anymore. I hate it, it hurts to smile and laugh and it hurts to sleep and it hurts to even raise my eyebrows!!! I'm so going to become a politician and create a country in which only acne people can live, and then no one would be self conscious or have to worry about leaving the house without any makeup one. ahh sounds good. I'm sick of putting crap of my face every day and every night and waking up, rushing to the mirror expecting some miraculous change only to find it looks as bad as ever.

there's my little rant

Hi,

I can soooooooo relate to that. Many a times I have been crushed by a passing reflection of me from a window, mirror either at home or while I am out in the street. You totally deserve a hug and I wish you well with your course.

:catdance: couldn't find a "hug" one but hopefully you smile when you see this cute dancing cat.

Aww good luck! I can completely understand what you're going through. Acne is a psychological and physical barrier. I use to be so antisocial because I wouldn't want to leave my house looking like the way I do. It gets better though. I wish you the best luck! =)

Thanks Carmelle and SpeciousHope. The dancing cat did make me chuckle. :clap:

Feeling better today thanks to my beautiful friends. No new news, but it's a week till I'll be starting Roaccutane. I'm such a loser counting down the days like it's christmas. next time I update I WILL be on Roaccutane, and stop posting pointless logs, so ill ban myself from logging for a week. Have a lovely evening or morning depending on where you are. ta ta

Hi,

I can soooooooo relate to that. Many a times I have been crushed by a passing reflection of me from a window, mirror either at home or while I am out in the street. You totally deserve a hug and I wish you well with your course.

:catdance: couldn't find a "hug" one but hopefully you smile when you see this cute dancing cat.

:comfort: Here ya go!

good luck i hope it goes well for you! im as excited as you are and i havent even been to the derm yet- first appointment in july :(:( dammmit!! lol but please keep us posted id love to hear about your success with it :)

*hug*

Ahhaha thanks Thats Life.

good luck i hope it goes well for you! im as excited as you are and i havent even been to the derm yet- first appointment in july :(:( dammmit!! lol but please keep us posted id love to hear about your success with it :)

*hug*

The wait is finally over :clap: ,

I just took two 20mg pills! yay. And so 40mg is my dose for the time being.

Went to the derm today and I literally just got home after I practically ran the 4km's from the chemist to my house. I was put on 40mg's of Roaccutane and I am not using a generic, my mum and I agreed that the realn deal is the best option for me. The derm said the 40 mg is slightly low does for my weight but it's better to be safe than sorry, which I agree with after some thinking. If nothin happens he can always put me up a dose.

i was so embarrased to hand over my perscription to the chemist, it's odd how acknowledging acne is far more embarrassing than acctually having it, for me anyway.

As for products I have bought, Cetaphil moisturiser, which I was glad to find is sold is Aus, and I am planning to use this at night. I also got "Nivea moisturising fluid spf 15" for the daytime. Annd I also got an "ego QV lip balm for dry skin" which seems nice, as I just tested it out.

Sorry I think there are a few typos in this but I'm too lazy to fix them.

Bye!

The wait is finally over :clap: ,

I just took two 20mg pills! yay. And so 40mg is my dose for the time being.

Went to the derm today and I literally just got home after I practically ran the 4km's from the chemist to my house. I was put on 40mg's of Roaccutane and I am not using a generic, my mum and I agreed that the realn deal is the best option for me. The derm said the 40 mg is slightly low does for my weight but it's better to be safe than sorry, which I agree with after some thinking. If nothin happens he can always put me up a dose.

i was so embarrased to hand over my perscription to the chemist, it's odd how acknowledging acne is far more embarrassing than acctually having it, for me anyway.

As for products I have bought, Cetaphil moisturiser, which I was glad to find is sold is Aus, and I am planning to use this at night. I also got "Nivea moisturising fluid spf 15" for the daytime. Annd I also got an "ego QV lip balm for dry skin" which seems nice, as I just tested it out.

Sorry I think there are a few typos in this but I'm too lazy to fix them.

Bye!

Hey, good luck with your course! I'm going up to 60mg tomorrow, if my bloods are OK. The only side effects I have had so far is dry skin and lips. Beats oily anyway!

Hey, good luck with your course! I'm going up to 60mg tomorrow, if my bloods are OK. The only side effects I have had so far is dry skin and lips. Beats oily anyway!

yeah non-oilyness sounds so good I can't wait.

DAY ONE. So I took my pills last night so I am counting today as day one. I didn't really notice anything outside of the norm, maybe my lips were a little dry but most probably it's my imagination, or I did it to myself by licking my lips too many times assessing wether they were becoming dry or not.

I also got a pimple on my edge of bottom lip, :eh: not cool.

So I shall take my next two pills tonight with dinner.

Oh and also, cetaphil moisturiser is so greasy! feels nice on but will deffo only be able to wear at night, or while my skin is still currently oily.

Byee have a good night!

DAY 2:

Still the same. How long before people have started noticing anything, the slightest change?

Off to do homework... :|

Hey Im a few days ahead of you and I started noticing my skin becoming less oily after a few days. Im also in Aus!! Good luck and keep us posted

Hey Im a few days ahead of you and I started noticing my skin becoming less oily after a few days. Im also in Aus!! Good luck and keep us posted

Thanks, I can't wait for that side effect!! haha

I just checked out you log, and I think it's a good idea to start on lower doses. I'd rather not have an initial breakout thankyou very much.

DAY 3:

Today my lips are a little dry, maybe not dry but just kinda tight. I almost don't want to put moisturise so that I can see whether it's my imagination or my skin really is dry...

I've also broken out a bit on my usually spotless chest, and on my lip again. Maybe it's the lipbalm that I'm using?

Last night I had a beer, I think it was light.... and now I feel guilty. Buuut the information sheet says not to drink large amounts so I think I'm going to be ok. Not much else, I'm drinking lots of water, getting lots of sleep, no joint pain or headaches.

Laters

DAY 4:

Yay! I woke up today with some dryness and slight peeling on my cheeks, so I'm glad coz it means its having some effect.

My whole face is just generally feeling sore, like I've been slapped across both cheeks :shock: . I've also broken out some more around my mouth, though just little ones and thankfully no new cysts. My lips are still tight and maybe a bit scaly, but no terrible peeling or bleeding yet.

I HAVE TO STOP TOUCHING MY FACE!!! I don't really pick, just check whats on there haha and its so bad of me.

thats about it for now. bye

DAY 5:

Yay had my midyear exam this morning, so glad it's over!! And I got to go home early which is nice. Not much is new, my lips kinda dry and swolen but not uncomfortable. The corners are particularly dry and kina sting when I open my mouth too wide. Buuut it's all gooood.

My skin is pretty dry and flakey in the arease where I have acne, and I feel like all my spots are drying up.

Thats it for now!!!!!!!

DAY 6:

Hey hey hey, hope you had a wonderful day and that if you are on Roaccutane everything is going splendidly!

Last night I used my proactive cleanser and the burn was bad and my face was bright red after I got out of the shower. So this afternoon I bought a big pump bottle of Cetaphil gentle face wash which I just used and I likey.. but 20 bucks for a face wash!!!:shock: maybe I'm too stingy. From I've read some people think the gentle cetaphil is too greasy but I like it, and it took all my make up off which is good, and it didn't leave my face bright red, as ofter happens.

So today I had some peeling, not peeling so much as light flaking around my mouth and chin, and my lips were a little bit more dry than they have been, and still kinda scaly? The freezing winter weather doesnt help much either, but I'm not going to complain I love winter a thouand times better than summer.

Still waiting for a non oily forehead ahh that is my dream... alas how long will it take? Apart from some mild dryness I'm doing fine! One week down tomorrow yaya. I have another mid year exam tomorrow wish me luck. Long post but I'm chatty today! Have a good night

DAY 6:

Hey hey hey, hope you had a wonderful day and that if you are on Roaccutane everything is going splendidly!

Last night I used my proactive cleanser and the burn was bad and my face was bright red after I got out of the shower. So this afternoon I bought a big pump bottle of Cetaphil gentle face wash which I just used and I likey.. but 20 bucks for a face wash!!!:shock: maybe I'm too stingy. From I've read some people think the gentle cetaphil is too greasy but I like it, and it took all my make up off which is good, and it didn't leave my face bright red, as ofter happens.

So today I had some peeling, not peeling so much as light flaking around my mouth and chin, and my lips were a little bit more dry than they have been, and still kinda scaly? The freezing winter weather doesnt help much either, but I'm not going to complain I love winter a thouand times better than summer.

Still waiting for a non oily forehead ahh that is my dream... alas how long will it take? Apart from some mild dryness I'm doing fine! One week down tomorrow yaya. I have another mid year exam tomorrow wish me luck. Long post but I'm chatty today! Have a good night

Bout 2wks :D