Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i'm starting to have a strong suspision that i have what's known as "hormonal acne." i don't know whether or not that term is redundant or not, i'm not all that educated on this :\ but you all seem to be! i'm 16 now and have been getting my periods since i was about 12, but ever since that time they've been VERY irregular. i skipped a whole year initially and then i believe i skipped like 10 months. ever since then i'd get one maybe every 3-4 months or so. i was pretty sick a year ago, and became very thin. my friend told me irregular eating leads to irregular periods, since i was getting older i chalked it up to the fact that i just had a strange eating schedule. however, now that i'm a healthy weight and it's been several years and my periods are still very irregular, i'm wondering if there could be a possible link between this and my acne? i read something about acne on the jawline being most common for hormonal acne, and i'm experiencing some of that type. however i also experience it mainly on the cheeks. it's more rare that i break out on the forehead, VERY rare on my nose, and fairly rare on my chin.

for refrence my break outs are almost never blackheads and now are typically whiteheads, and i'm on tazorac .05 & solodyn

It is redundant. Almost all acne is hormonal. But yes, your diet,lifestyle habits and other aspects of your health do affect your hormones. See the links in my signature for more information.

Also that jawline or chin acne = hormonal is a myth. As I already said, almost all acne is hormone related. The cysts I used to get there turned to be an allergic reaction.

i'm starting to have a strong suspision that i have what's known as "hormonal acne." i don't know whether or not that term is redundant or not, i'm not all that educated on this :\ but you all seem to be! i'm 16 now and have been getting my periods since i was about 12, but ever since that time they've been VERY irregular. i skipped a whole year initially and then i believe i skipped like 10 months. ever since then i'd get one maybe every 3-4 months or so. i was pretty sick a year ago, and became very thin. my friend told me irregular eating leads to irregular periods, since i was getting older i chalked it up to the fact that i just had a strange eating schedule. however, now that i'm a healthy weight and it's been several years and my periods are still very irregular, i'm wondering if there could be a possible link between this and my acne? i read something about acne on the jawline being most common for hormonal acne, and i'm experiencing some of that type. however i also experience it mainly on the cheeks. it's more rare that i break out on the forehead, VERY rare on my nose, and fairly rare on my chin.

for refrence my break outs are almost never blackheads and now are typically whiteheads, and i'm on tazorac .05 & solodyn

So you have irregular periods and some acne along the jaw? I'd say there's a good chance they are related. Have you considered the contraceptive pill, as many women use this to clear acne, and it regulates periods. You'll need to discuss it with your doctor as it might affect your medication, and vica versa. Go to a doctor whose advice you trust, tell them everything and that you would like to know the reason your periods are irregular. Don't be fobbed off, keep trying, and you will find your answer eventually.

thank you so much! i looked up that link and the info that stood out to me was the thing about estrogen imabalance, as i seem to have a number of the symptoms listed (cold hands/feet, pms, mood swings, tenderness etc) i think this might be on to something. i'm going to my dermatologist next week and i'm definitley going to bring this up, and ask about the pills.

also i was recomended birth control when i was like 12 or 13 for some minor acne, because i told the dermatologist i was afraid of trying things like tetrocycline since a kid in my class at the time had just recently been sent to the hospital for whatever acne drug he was on (now that i think of it, it was probably accutane. his acne was fairly severe.) but anyway my mom wouldn't let me try it because she was worried about complications down the road had i started birth contol so early in my life. i never looked into whether or not that's a real concern :\

I agree with what others have said. The root cause my be the monthly influx of hormones. Although like others said, acne is an internal problem and hormone related in general.

If you do want to augment your hormones, I've only heard of birth control pills and spiro as potential solutions.

Good luck and keep us updated! ^_^

alright so i bought the DIM pills today and i just took the first dose. here's hoping!

they shouldn't affect me taking the solodyn right?