Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mikenikes

Please help. Nothing works..

So I'm about to give up. I don't know what to do about my acne anymore. Nothing works...

Info:

I'm a 16 year old boy, I workout daily, played volleyball for 3 months recently..

I've had acne for about 3 years now. I've got it on my face, mainly on the forehead, eyebrow, temple area, chin, and nose occasionaly. Never on my cheeks for some reason. I've also got acne on my back, on the shoulder region only, and on my chest, the shoulder reason mostly, and A little bit of acne in the center region of my chest, near the collarbones. And I've got it on my neck.. right under the jaw, or on the front sides of my neck. The acne on my neck worries me.. there are only about 5 'pimples'.. but they have been there for about 3 months, or more. They don't 'pop', or anything..

When my acne first started, I used ProActive, but that wouldn't do the job.

I've got VERY oily skin. It comes from my moms side of the family, who is 45 now and still has acne problems.

So then I started to use Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% and Sulfur 5% Wash.. and that seems to work only some of the time. I wash my face with it once a day, every day.

My doctor also gave me a proscription for Erythromycin and Benzoyl Peroxide Topica Gel, which is erythromycin(3%) and benzoyl peroxide(5%). I am supposed to be applying this to my skin every night. The doctor said that if the skin gets to dry, apply it every other night. The skin didn't get to dry.. but me, being the unresponsible teenager that i am :rolleyes:, stopped using it a week after I picked it up from the pharmacy. I am sick and freaking tired of my acne. Its not severe, people don't make fun of me for it, but I hate it! I'm so self-concious. I had a date with my girlfriend a week ago.. but I cancelled, telling her that I was 'sick', when infact I just didn't want to leave the house because of my acne. As I said before, the acne isn't severe.. but to me, its ruining my life. My social life has gone down and down. I'm constantly picking at my skin, which I know, is bad, but has become a habit that I have been unable to break, no matter how hard I try to break it...

So basically, can anyone help me? I'm desperate here. I want my acne gone, for good. Any help is greatly appreciated.. along with tips on how to deal with living with my acne (I know there is a section for living with your acne, but I wanted to only make one big post).

Thanks,

Mike.

Is the acne a bunch of small bumps?

Do they sometimes itch or flare red?

Does it get worse when you sweat or the weather gets hot and humid?

Do you also have dandruff?

If you answered yes to some of these questions, then from the location of the acne, it sounds like you might have fungal folliculitis. It can be controlled by using a dandruff shampoo like Head and Shoulders or Nizoral as your body/face wash. Lather the infected areas, leave it on for 3-10 minutes and rinse.

Folliculitis is very common with people who play sports; it looks like acne but it's not, and it does not respond to normal acne treatments. You might want to rule that out before you try more acne medication.

Search the nutrtion/holistic message board. I'm not against conventional medicine, but haven't got any good results with it. Try changing your diet. Incorporate more veggies and fruits. Try other things that help control stress levels and such. Like meditation, exercise, and so on. I'm seeing good results with diet change, decreasing stress, and other things. message me if you have any questions. hope you find some sort of relief for your acne.

Thankyou all for your input!

Carrie: thanks for the bump! and yea, I think I really should give the regimen the doc gave me a try.. Its just, I was expecting quick results. My mom even said that it would make the acne go away in a week! which I now know did not work. and gave up because of this, thinking that it was supposed to work in a week, but didn't, and therefore won't work at all. I'm going to give it a try though, Hoping it works.

Akko: Yes, I do have dandruff, but no to the other questions. But I think what you are saying may be true. It has not responded to regular acne treatments at all. and I use head and shoulders regularly for my shampoo, so I will start to do what you said. Hope it works! Thanks!

Night: Yea I really should incorporate some fruits and vegetables into my diet more often. As of right now.. the last time I ate a fruit was about 3 weeks ago! I definitely need to eat fruit more often. But I'm not overweight either. Infact, I'm very much underweight. I am 5'11 and only weigh 126 pounds. I've tried gaining weight, even taking weight gaining supplements, but they haven't really worked. So would changing my diet make my weight drop even more? If so, I don't know if it safe for me to weigh any less than I do.

Thankyou all for your input!

does anyone know how long it will take for the head and shoulders to start working if I do have fungal follicitius? I think i spelt that wrong. Either way, you know what I'm talking about! lol

If you use H&S every day, you should see significant improvements after a week. After two weeks I was clear and I've stayed almost 100% clear since then. I found that body acne was a bit tougher to get rid of, but maybe it's because it's harder to keep up this regimen on my body than on my face.

Also, make sure it's H&S "classic clean", so that it doesn't have any added miosturizers that could clog pores and encourage greasiness.